The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm from a big Mopar family which has owned many minivans for long lifespans over the years. Front struts can and do fail on these vans, but typically well- beyond 75k miles over typically bad Midwest roads & winters. I would imagine that they may well last (almost) forever driving on smooth southern interstates (excepting leaks as others have said).

Regarding clunking noises, the sway bar bushings are something I would check before assuming a bad front strut.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm from a big Mopar family which has owned many minivans for long lifespans over the years. Front struts can and do fail on these vans, but typically well- beyond 75k miles over typically bad Midwest roads & winters. I would imagine that they may well last (almost) forever driving on smooth southern interstates (excepting leaks as others have said).

Regarding clunking noises, the sway bar bushings are something I would check before assuming a bad front strut.
Are there other things you'd suggest to check for lights clunk noises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a bumper to bumper warranty through MOPAR till 118.500 miles and that includes struts / shocks. Mine are now feeling like they are not working........vibration, bumps hit hard just not smooth. I have new tires and that is not the issue at all.

If you have replaced the front struts why did you and at what milage ?

This is on my 2011 Chrysler Town and Country with 96K on her.
MaxCare replaced all 4 on or 2010 Limited at 65,000 miles, they were history.

Don't think twice get them done, it made the van drive like new again. Along with the shocks/struts they found a bad spring and strut mount. Not bad for a $100 deductible.

Reactions: Caraman99

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
My replacements are history after 60,000kms.

Never liked them from the start.

Monroe quick something or other. :(

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
My replacements are history after 60,000kms.

Never liked them from the start.

Monroe quick something or other. :(
Quick "failure"? :) Didn't they have a lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Today I replaced the rear shocks on my van. I have 60K miles and have been noticing the rear end getting looser. It was most noticeable during hard braking (rear would buck up more), starting from a stoplight (rear would dip more), and of course cornering.

I was kicking around the idea of going with either Monroe OESpectrum or KYB GR-2/Excel.
I ended up going with a set of OEM Mopar Gas Plus shocks off eBay from a Chrysler dealer in KC. These are the exact shocks that came on the van. The price delivered was $34 for each. The ride is now back to where it was when I got the van :cool:

Tip: I would suggest removing the top bracket versus trying to get a wrench on the back of the top shock bolt. The four 16mm bolts were easy to remove and drop the bracket, then remove the top shock bolt with the assembly off the van.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine are no leaking, so I cannot get them to cover it under my max care. The van bottoms out, nosedives when you brake....any suggestions to try and get the dealer to replace under warranty? I know they can be bad even though they don't leak, but the dealer doesn't think so.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine are no leaking, so I cannot get them to cover it under my max care. The van bottoms out, nosedives when you brake....any suggestions to try and get the dealer to replace under warranty? I know they can be bad even though they don't leak, but the dealer doesn't think so.
Give your service writer booze.

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
96 LE 216K miles with original struts. No leaks yet. Still doing the job.
Low mileage for a '96. The roads must be nice there for the suspension to still be so good!
(I know Mods, it's a 5th gen thread)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The springs are causing a clunk when i turn or hit a small bump on my 08 t&c touring with 145k miles. I verified by jacking the front end up and used jack stands under the control arms to put the load on the suspension and turned the wheel side the side. The spring will catch the jump as the wheel moves

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why has no one talked about upper strut mounts? The rubber in these wear and the vertical movement causes a clunk.
I was pretty sure that Chrysler warranty or service contract would only cover leaking struts.

·
5000 Club
5,773 Posts
Low mileage for a '96. The roads must be nice there for the suspension to still be so good!
(I know Mods, it's a 5th gen thread)
Low miles? Ya, I put maybe 2k a year on it for the last 5 or so years. I just use it to haul bigger stuff around and take grama to the hair dresser now and then. Roads? Not many potholes in Socal though I read somewhere CA has some of the worst roads in the country even though infrastructure gets a big chunk of our taxes, oh and Moonbeam just raised the state gas tax again. Live in a small town so 70% is highway driving to get to shopping etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This 2011 Town and Country pulled a 3100 lb. Casita trailer for about 85K miles, …….Going dn the hwy and if a dip, it dips big time and to me it like a boat going over a wave.
I feel as if the front tires are "bouncing" as driving over the speeds on the freeway and that is the vibrating. So, does this help?
Sorry for the very late response to your question. You might be under weight for what your van can haul, but it’s setup for people, and your suspension needs beefing up (shocks/struts) as they are not designed to handle the leverage being applied to the rear trailer hitch….

There is a YouTube channel I follow of a guy who also added air/bags that fit into the oem springs to help with squatting under load, as well as sway bar adjusters and beefier (struts/ shock observers) for when hauling his family and camper. Sweet setup!
His channel is Michael Byrne
Just YouTube minivan airbags and you’ll scroll to see his channel. He convinced me on the Monroe and maintenance stuff, good knowledge.👍 I’m wondering if his complete setup will be the game changer for you…

I had a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan sxt, sold it after the maintenance got too expensive 💀💀💀 (the previous owner either didn’t know what he/she was doing, or the mechanic needed to be fired), but here is a list of things done to mine to help you. A lot is because of Michael Byrnes YouTube channel

KYB quick struts the front end. Rock auto.com. Went with beefier ones…. Helps sooooo much when loaded down (menards/homedepot runs, moving washers/dryers, giant multi-story kids playground equipment), plus driver and engine/transmission weight….

Monroe load adjusting shock absorbers for the rear. These come with built in additional springs to help keep from bottoming out when under a heavy load. Loved these!!!😍😍😍 made a Huuuuge difference snd helped reduce squat….

ceramic brakes and rotors in the front, new calipers, new hubs,👍

rear brakes squealed because previous owner/ mechanic never cleaned off corrosion/rust so brake shims where never installed because they wouldn’t fit. Thus failure of brake pads, overheating and failure of front calipers. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Cleaned off mounts and added shims and grease 👍

wix transmission filter kit (comes with a pan gasket so you don’t need to worry about making one or using gasket tubes. 👍👍👍

personally I use valvoline brand fluids for transmission and oil.
Wix transmission filter kit is perfect, with valvoline transmission fluid turned my clunk and jerk every time I went from park to drive into smooth. Some people report changing your transmission fluid will “break things” but no…. that YouTube channel talks about new vs old fluids and detergents stuff like that, so if you car, worth a watch. He spells it out better than I can…

I prefer valvoline high mileage oil, maybe Castrol GTX HM, or Mobile One Synthetic….Depending upon if the auto part has a buy oil get a GOOD filter free sale… Wix, Mobile One, Bosch, puralator all make good oil filters.

I’m really regretting selling the van…. Got a Ford Flex and hate it… just bought it for $14k and two road trips in I said nope. Looking at a 2011 tnc with 219k miles touring for $4k…. Yes high miles, but if I sell back the flex, that saves me 10 grand for repairs or if in the event of a catastrophic failure, another van with less miles…. I’m trying to get us out of debt.

cheers mate!

·
Vendor
1,609 Posts
I had a broken spring at 91,000 miles, so I put in new struts and springs. The van had an off-road adventure before I owned it, otherwise, they rarely need to be changed.
I put new struts all around my sons Camry with 175,000 miles. My 229,000 mile Camry had new struts at some point as well according to Carfax.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts