The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you noticed what is going on with the price of ATF+4.????

I bought 2 bottles of Valvoline ATF+4 about 4 weeks ago and I paid something like 21$/GAL. About 2 weeks after that I was looking to buy more, but the Valvoline was gone off Amazon so I bought the MOPAR ATF+4 which were then 42$/GAL, and just a week later decided I needed more, and the same 4L bottle was now 64$/gal.

The heck is going on with ATF? IS there some market shortage causing the prices to triple in 4 weeks?

Product Font Liquid Rectangle Parallel

2 Weeks ago...
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
316 Posts

I bought 2 bottles of Valvoline ATF+4 about 4 weeks ago and I paid something like 21$/GAL. About 2 weeks after that I was looking to buy more, but the Valvoline was gone off Amazon so I bought the MOPAR ATF+4 which were then 42$/GAL, and just a week later decided I needed more, and the same 4L bottle was now 64$/gal.

The heck is going on with ATF? IS there some market shortage causing the prices to triple in 4 weeks?

View attachment 65684

2 Weeks ago...
View attachment 65685
An Amazon thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have found amazon prices to vary widely. Some sellers will price high, and I mean higher than dealer retail, and offer free shipping while others will price lower and charge for shipping/handling. Some will just price high. For OEM fluids/parts I always check the local dealer price to determine if price+shipping is a better deal than buying at a local dealer or auto parts store.

My opinion, amazon does not always offer a better price and it pays to shop around. For example, rockauto has the mopar gallon jug for $40 plus $10 shipping.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
If you have Honey, look at the price change chart on Amazon. It's like a mountain range. Price has gone up slightly over the last year, but no more than $1/qt.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just bought 12 qts of it at Walmart a couple weeks ago. Was the same $6.98/qt it's been for years now.

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 230k mi
163 Posts
Not sure about auto parts, but for computer parts Amazon has always been far more expensive across the board than other retailers which is just another reason I avoid them as a whole

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not sure about auto parts, but for computer parts Amazon has always been far more expensive across the board than other retailers which is just another reason I avoid them as a whole
some things are simply better to buy in person, i believe this is true with this fluid

20 gallon fish tank on amazon is $100, the SAME EXACT ONE at petco in person is $30

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Some people are out to make a buck on Amazon. Fluid Film use to have the odd ridiculous high price from some sellers. The baited hook.
Free delivery is a good feature though. Comes to your door instead of someone elses.
It pays to comparison shop, even on the Amazon site itself.

Reactions: Scot_W

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with my area is Walmart used to stock their auto centers very well, but as of the last year or two, they are letting go of their focus on the auto section so finding oils or even antifreeze has been a big hit/miss so I just stopped shopping there since also Amazon often provided lower prices altogether.

The shocker here was that the price (Lowest) that I can find just kept doubling over a few weeks which shocked me. I will try to find some of the 1qt bottles but honestly, 20$ for a 5L Jug on Amazon was a sweet deal, not so much now. My local AutoZone everything is 30-40% more expensive than the stuff online and I do use their products when I am in a crunch but try to avoid them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I wouldn't pay a lot more for Mopar brand. It isn't like Stellantis has their own oil refineries and mixing facilities, so likely just paying more for a different label. It used to be that all ATF+4 was fully-synthetic, but I noticed the Autozone brand jugs (was "Coastal", now "STP") no longer claim that, plus some people say the "synthetic" term has been bastardized, at least for motor oils. It is true that changing transmission fluid isn't a trivial cost (at least 8 qt x $7/qt = $56, plus filter and gasket). If still bright red and no burnt smell, I don't worry about changing it. You may eventually get a leak in a hose or gasket which will do that for you.

True that Amazon prices can vary wildly, so don't assume they are always the best deal. Once the bald-guy has trained us to click "buy" like lab monkeys, he can set any price he wants to surpass the other "bald-guy billionaire with rockets" (hair-plugs hide it) who trained millennials to click "buy" for an overpriced battery-car, even accepting poor support scheduled web-only.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Caravan 35th Anniversary Edition
107 Posts
I've also found that setting the sort on amazon to "Price: Low to High" gives inconsistent results, so don't rely on that. Plus sometimes changing your search terms yields better deals. They play price games and you just gotta outfox their A.I. :)

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
All ATF+4 is Group III, which is a conventional base with a high viscosity index score - legally allows to be called synthetic, even though it is not. Only Group IV and V are actual synthetics. ATF+4 has never been an actual synthetic. I posted the ASE doc on its development earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The stuff on Amazon is rocket fuel, but not for you, only Jeff Bezos. Do not use Amazon. I find most stuff is 20% more expensive than the original sellers website. It is also loaded with Chinese junk and counterfeit products marked and sold as the name brand goods. I have gotten multiple counterfeits and you will not know till it arrives or leaves you stranded.

Amazon business seller's model: ATF +4 stickers are cheap and so is generic red ATF.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jeff Bezos. Do not use Amazon...He needs more money for the space program! Look at bottle water here it's gone up and we are 60miles from bottling plant and well?
It's "Big Oil executives are reaping windfall profits and driving inflation, pumping up profits while accelerating the climate crisis"

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
314 Posts
Compared to Amazon, I’ve found Walmart has the better prices for oil and filters. Walmart ships to your door free if you buy $40+ worth of stuff - which most of my oil changes cost.

Walmart shipping takes a day ir two longer than Amazon - which isn’t a big deal if you’re planning a few days ahead.

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 65684

2 Weeks ago...
I just paid 6.82 for a quart @ Walmart. You think that's high? Trans fluid for my 96 Suburban is close to 9 dollars a quart. Go figure!!

·
Registered
2010 DGC SXT 3.8
5 Posts
I realize this thread is a few months old, and I may be shooting myself in the foot by sharing this, but here it is. If you live in a part of the US that has Menards stores (mostly Midwest), they have Valvoline ATF+4 for $5.49/qt (price is $4.89 with 11% rebate, which comes in the form of a store credit—which you have to send out for in the mail with your receipt). It's been hit or miss whether they have any on the shelf at my local store.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I realize this thread is a few months old, and I may be shooting myself in the foot by sharing this, but here it is. If you live in a part of the US that has Menards stores (mostly Midwest), they have Valvoline ATF+4 for $5.49/qt (price is $4.89 with 11% rebate, which comes in the form of a store credit—which you have to send out for in the mail with your receipt). It's been hit or miss whether they have any on the shelf at my local store.
Oh I never thought to check Menards, I thought Amazon had amazing deal on the 1gal jugs but I will have to check to see if the one by me carries it.
I already dumped the old oil, new filter went in and the trans functions better, now that its been driven 3k miles I may do the dump and refil once again, but I dont think that I will see any improvements from that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts