The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having lpg fitted to my uk voyager 2003 with 3.3 L
should i have valve care oil lube sytem fitted the garage say they dont normaly fit it to voyager yet other garages i had quotes from say i do have they just been robbing so and so`s bumping price up or is the garage that got the job being lazy

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've driven 2 Chrysler minivans on LPG. In the Netherlands about one in five minvans have been converted due to the high cost of petrol. Since lead has been abolished from petrol all valve heads have provisions to lube and cool the valve stems and heads. So that's been taken care of. Garages telling you you need a valve head conversion are wrong. (or after you cash)

·
fix it if you can
4,988 Posts
The only 'converted' vans around here are municipal / postal / utility company vehicles that run on CNG (compressed natural gas, not quite as purified as propane but close enough). They don't have any additional valve lube systems...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was valve lubrication i had a simple £30 drip feed type fitted in end better to have a bit extra oil in engine than not enough
all working very well

·
Latent car nut
8,965 Posts
it was valve lubrication i had a simple £30 drip feed type fitted in end better to have a bit extra oil in engine than not enough
all working very well
How do you know it is working well and not just a waste of good oil and money?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's never a good idea to have an oil feed into the valve seating area. Even before low lead fuel this wasn't a workable option due increased risk of accumulating carbon which could burn the valves. Really, LPG doesn't differ that much from petrol, especially in a 6-cylinder which only revs up to 2500 rpm at 120 kms/hr. It just burns a little hotter, which is only a benefit because it heats up the engine a little faster, thus preventing wear.

Adding to that, I'd rather buy a used LPG car than a petrol car with a lot of miles on it. The reason for that is that the LPG car was probably used for longer distances and intense use. It would have had less cold starts and therefor would have suffered a lot less wear. If you plan to keep your minivan for a long time LPG is still a very good and reliable source of power. And here in Holland cheaper as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts