The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a new 2019 GC a couple weeks ago and was shocked to learn after buying this car it does not have automatic night time headlights... I mean it has leather, DVD, nav, power everything, but no auto headlights? I buy budget cars, had Ford, Pontiac, Chevy, Jeep, and the last one I had without auto headlights was a 1997 Jeep, haha. It's driving me nuts. haha. Anyway... I read on here some have upgraded but there seems to be some different switches available. Does anyone know the difference? They both have fog lamp and auto feature, they look the same, they all have the same connection on the back. The dealer says I need the most expensive one but wouldn't tell me why. That might be the case to replace an existing auto switch, but if installing myself, the cheaper one likely fine? I plan to just change the switch at first like another user did, night time headlights and taillights turn on and off with ignition then. I'm in Canada, half the year it's dark when I drive to and from work anyway. Maybe down the road I'll add the light sensor and bits to work properly. Any incite appreciated.

The two switches in question are:
56046258AD for 2012 and up
68041761AD for 2012 to 2016

What changed in 2017+? And is backward compatible... why wouldn't the old switch work in newer car?

·
Registered
504 Posts
56046258ad has 16-way connector, 68041761ad has 20-way connector. 6041761AD works in all models if you find the 20 way connector

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just bought a new 2019 GC a couple weeks ago and was shocked to learn after buying this car it does not have automatic night time headlights... I mean it has leather, DVD, nav, power everything, but no auto headlights? I buy budget cars, had Ford, Pontiac, Chevy, Jeep, and the last one I had without auto headlights was a 1997 Jeep, haha. It's driving me nuts. haha. Anyway... I read on here some have upgraded but there seems to be some different switches available. Does anyone know the difference? They both have fog lamp and auto feature, they look the same, they all have the same connection on the back. The dealer says I need the most expensive one but wouldn't tell me why. That might be the case to replace an existing auto switch, but if installing myself, the cheaper one likely fine? I plan to just change the switch at first like another user did, night time headlights and taillights turn on and off with ignition then. I'm in Canada, half the year it's dark when I drive to and from work anyway. Maybe down the road I'll add the light sensor and bits to work properly. Any incite appreciated.

The two switches in question are:
56046258AD for 2012 and up
68041761AD for 2012 to 2016

What changed in 2017+? And is backward compatible... why wouldn't the old switch work in newer car?
I am not 100% certain about the 2011 years and over, I have a 2009. One thing for certain is the actual light sensor (solar sensor) stayed the same (I believe anyway) Do you have auto climate control or the manual climate control?

If you have the auto climate control the light sensor is already there, it is mounted right by the center speaker (like 2 cm away and it looks like a dark bubble) All you need to do is just get the auto headlight switch and it's plug and play.

If you have manual climate control the good news is the wiring is most likely there already, you will have to remove the plastic piece that covers the speakers closest to the windshield, then loosen the driver side windshield defrost vent, then you have to push down the air vent enough so you can get your hand down and reach for the main wiring harness. There will be a solar sensor connector taped to the harness, you can also look from the front and see if you can spot something taped to the main harness. Once you find it, grab and pull by the wires and the tape will break. There is a circular plastic piece which is covering where the solar sensor will be, remove the plastic piece and pull the connector through it. Then put a screw or nail through so it stays up there.
For parts you can go to the auto wrecker yard and find a solar sensor on any 5'th gen vehicle, regardless if it has auto climate or manual climate, as long as it has auto headlight you can grab it as they are the same sensor. Or you can buy it from the dealer. It should plug right into your connector and has a slit in it so you can only put it into where it sits one way. Town and Country vans will have auto climate and auto headlights a lot more frequently then the Caravans do.

If you don't find the wires, you can try looking from the passenger side, they should be there as the same van in a town and country form WILL have auto headlights and the wiring harness is the same for both CV and T&C

For the headlight switch, I don't know the differences for 2011 and up, but my guess is that the headlight switch stayed the same though out the years, maybe you could try pulling your switch out and compare the back connector to a online picture of the back of a headlight switch and see if they are the same. If they are, you can either wait for a 2011 and up caravan or T&C to show up at you local auto wrecker and get it from there, or order from ebay or the dealer. Hope this helps!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,506 Posts
If the sensor is not there, just remove the little plastic cap cover and install the sensor. Wiring is taped to that cover. No nail or screw needed, don't know what he is talking about, again, forget the screw or nail thing.

Regarding the switch thing, as long as it shows the auto position, it should work, but I will listen to Steffen about buying the more expensive is you can, just in case.

I would visit a junkyard.

·
Registered
91 Posts
56046258ad has 16-way connector, 68041761ad has 20-way connector. 6041761AD works in all models if you find the 20 way connector
Should be 10-way pre-facelift versus 6-way 2011+. :oops:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 20.46.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 20.45.54.png

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Funny how 56046258AD is most likely the correct switch for North American vehicles, but its the more expensive option on Rock Auto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts