The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have replaced my battery, alternator, and starter. Still we will go to start the van and the battery will be dead. There is nothing left on in the van. I cant really do the classic test to determine if something is pulling power with the van off because the alarm has constant power to it. Anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
21,846 Posts
So, i have replaced my battery, alternator, and starter. Still we will go to start the van and the battery will be dead. There is nothing left on in the van. I cant really do the classic test to determine if something is pulling power with the van off because the alarm has constant power to it. Anyone help?
Pulling fuses and seeing how the meter reacts to each fused circuit.

Maybe pull the fuse to your alarm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as far as i know the alarm is supposed to have constant power. But the battery drain has been going on for about 6 months. Think a relay could be responsible?

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts
Your van is no different than the thousands that have parasitic battery drain tests performed on them. Your van will normally draw around 30 milliamps of power all the time to keep your alarm system among others alive. Much more than that for 15 minutes after shutting it down. Perform the test to narrow down the causes. Just make sure your ignition switch is off, all the doors are shut and you let the van sit undisturbed for 15 minutes after disconnecting the negative battery cable and connecting the ammeter. You then read the meter and go from there. Here's how: http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/diagnostics/checking-out-battery-drain

·
Super Moderator
21,846 Posts
well as far as i know the alarm is supposed to have constant power. But the battery drain has been going on for about 6 months. Think a relay could be responsible?
I have seen a defective relay being the reason for wipers operating continuously with the switch off. You aren't aware of anything like that though. Find out which circuit it is first and then check out the relay.

For relays, might check some easy stuff like does your horn work. If it works then the relay for it is likely okay. If it doesn't work then there could be something going on there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the necropost, but I've read threads like this one many times trying to diagnose the same issue in my 2008 GC. I went through many batteries and $$ before I finally decided to use a meter and find the parasitic draw. On my '08 the culprit was:

Fuse "J1", Rear power folding seat!!!

I didn't have the inclination to find out why that circuit was draining. I just pulled the fuse and only plug it back in when I need to fold the back seat (which for us isn't very often).

I have had NO issues since pulling that fuse.

I hope this helps someone!

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts
bones357 - Well I'll be damned. It's a rare event when someone opens up an old thread when it's warranted. Thanks for pointing out something as innocuous as a power seat can cause a draw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts