The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery drained in recent days while car was not being driven. It had just been recharged at a store. Then I drove around a little and parked for several days. Battery's under warranty. Sometimes I'd play the radio briefly, with the ignition key in accessory position. The last two times that I tried switching on the radio, it died as soon as it started. Car wouldn't start, and now, the power windows won't even budge.

I've had the car for a year and a half. Occasionally, when the ignition is in accessory position, the windshield wipers will activate for a few cycles. But the radio dying is unprecendented.

How hairy could this wiring fail be? How much dashboard disassembly to check the wiring?

·
5000 Club
5,700 Posts
To check for a battery drain make sure everything is switched off, close all the doors, then connect an ammeter in series with the negative battery cable. Let it sit 15 minutes then take a reading. Shouldn't see more than 30 milliamps. If it's much higher pull fuses until it drops to 30 or less. Whatever fuse makes it drop is the problem circuit. Then it's a matter of disconnecting components and verifying grounds, etc

Ghost wipers are a common problem usually caused by the Body Control Module better known as the BCM. My wipers will cycle 2-3 times at start up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Ghost" wipers. Handy search term. I found this thread where member, RIP, responded. http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/20175-97-GV-Wipers-Mind-of-their-own?p=196998

My ghost wipers don't keep on wiping like some people's. It's something that can be ignored.

Hm, on the one hand, the wiper problem apparently is not due to a short underneath the dashboard. On the other hand, could the battery draining, which can't be ignored, also be due to a bad BCM? Having to buy a BCM -- ouch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts