The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Dodge GC SXT had a battery drain. I pulled fuses until I got the J3 special fuse out, then the amperes dropped. This shows to be "RR Door Mod." The funny thing is that when I put it back in the amps stayed down. I decided to leave it out and see what happens. I could not see anything wrong with the wiring that can be seen. Does anyone have any ideas. I usually use the sliding door manually myself. My wife sometimes uses the power door, but she doesn't drive it much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked the car again today. The only things I could get to make a difference were J3 cartridge fuse for RR Door Module, J5 Passenger Door Node, and M11 IOD, HVAC/ATC MW Sensor. All of these after I pulled them out brought the amps down. When I replaced them, the amps stayed down. It still is showing .16 amps. I pulled all fuses and relays (one at a time) and couldn't get it any lower than that.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
Disconnect alternator and see if that helps.

A shorted out diode will discharge battery when engine is not running.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't disconnect it before, but I did check it with an ohmmeter. I will try disconnecting it later. Thank you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, not the alternator. I almost wish it was, so I could get this over with.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
How about fuel pump relay? Or the third row power seat if you have it?

Last suspect would be the radio.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have power stow and go. I pulled all the relays already. I just noticed that the passenger side vanity light cover doesn't close well. I closed it. When I close it firmly the light goes off, but it may have been on before. I will check that another time to see if that is staying on sometimes.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
I don't have power stow and go. I pulled all the relays already. I just noticed that the passenger side vanity light cover doesn't close well. I closed it. When I close it firmly the light goes off, but it may have been on before. I will check that another time to see if that is staying on sometimes.
You can not pull the fuel relay out in a 5th. Gen. van.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, how do I go about checking that?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a rubber band around the vanity cover and it made no difference.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,485 Posts
Since the issue went away with the RR door module fuse out, the prime suspect is the wiring in the door track or the door module itself. Check the wiring loom that moves as you open and close the sliding door, see if any of those wires have worn out or any visible damage is there. If not, I would replace the door module from a salvage van.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The funny thing is that the amps went down when I took out the fuse, but didn't go back up when I put it back in. I looked carefully at the wires and can't see anything wrong. Of course it is hard to see much in that flexible conduit.

Reactions: Michalb

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
The funny thing is that the amps went down when I took out the fuse, but didn't go back up when I put it back in. I looked carefully at the wires and can't see anything wrong. Of course it is hard to see much in that flexible conduit.
Some modules are in standby for few minutes after you close doors. During standby, they draw some current. Remove fuses and standby is killed, no more current draw.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I will have to start looking at things that are not controlled by fuses or relays in the TIPM. So the fuel pump, cooling fan, ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have a wiring diagram to show where I could disconnect the fuel pump to see if it is running all the time, or is there a better way to check. On the Ford I used to have, I could hear the fuel pump engage momentarily when I turned the key on. On this Caravan, I never hear. My ears aren't very good anymore.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,089 Posts
Does anyone have a wiring diagram to show where I could disconnect the fuel pump to see if it is running all the time, or is there a better way to check. On the Ford I used to have, I could hear the fuel pump engage momentarily when I turned the key on. On this Caravan, I never hear. My ears aren't very good anymore.
Try this:

Font Parallel Number Document Rectangle

Font Screenshot Communication Device Technology Display device

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, thanks. That would be one of the fuses I have already pulled without bringing down the current. I also notice that every time I remove the negative cable, the horn beeps momentarily as I touch it back to the post. It has done this for quite some time. I don't know if it is normal or not.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I checked the car again this morning. I disconnected the power wire to the TIPM and the amps went to 0. I put it back on and it was .19. I had pulled all the fuses and relays that could be pulled before, but I tried again. I pulled the fan relay by the radiator and that changed nothing. I started pulling fuses in the TIPM. When I got to M28 which shows to be next Generation control/ Transmission feed, it went down to .02 which is acceptable. I put the fuse back in and it stayed down. Now I can take the negative cable off and put it back on without the horn honking. I started it and moved it some. Then I disconnected the battery cable and put it back on without sparks. I don't want to be overly optimistic since I didn't really fix anything. I had about decided it was one of the relays that is built into the TIPM. Now I have no idea, but it seems not to be draining the battery now. I will check it after time. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my van sat for 2 days with the battery connected. I just checked the voltage and it was 12.16. Maybe not great, but so much better than it was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts