The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3 Flex Fuel 6 cyl

I'm having a ball with this van. Originally the battery light came on so first I checked the battery and it was on its last leg so replaced it. Then i checked the alternator and it wasn't performing so I replaced it also. But still the battery light stayed on.

Soon after both were replaced the car started shutting off between 10 seconds to 2 minutes or so. I took of the negative battery cable and reset the computer and it was fine. The next day the same thing. Shortly after it started running really rich and spitting gas out the tail pipe and choking the engine real bad.

Engine diags at a local shop said ECM malfunction, which is what I was thinking too so I replaced it. Same problems still. The problem is now above my mechanical expertise as far as pin pointing the cause.
I'm hoping somebody has had a similar problem with any Diamler Chrysler engine who can give advice before I get robbed by the dealership.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The PCM is the only thing that ties any of that together. It may be 2 separate issues. You may have a faulty coolant temp sensor causing the rich problems.

Are you sure the PCM is the correct model? Maybe there is a problem in the wiring going to the alternator.

These are a few little things that are easily checked by you before you have to send it to a dealer.

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
since it started as an electrical problem and gotten worse over time, I'd start by checking wiring.. first, (take the battery out) flip the IPM over and check for corrosion / loose wires, then look around if you can spot any worn / chafed wires and also check the ground circuit of the battery & alternator..

it would help things along if you had a meter and checked the voltage on the battery, IPM, PCM...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts