The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to decipher Chrysler parts numbers? I have a bcm, body control module, number po4686921AG. I found several used ones with the same number but with different ending letters. From AA to AL. What do the numbers and letters mean?
Does anyone know of a rebuilder where you send you unit in and they rebuild your BCM to original specifications and send it back programed, plug and play?
How do I or anyone know if the BCM is the original unit since my 2001 was bought used.

/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, not sure where you live, but I'd recommend going to a salvage yard and finding a vehicle, either town and country or dodge caravan with the same options you have, and replacing your BCM for that one. As long as you stay in the same generation of vehicle, you should be fine. The BCM stores instrument cluster mileage on the BCM (Engine computer stores its own) So the only thing will be your mileage will be incorrect. That can be corrected by appcar I believe, but that program costs 50USD.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Does anyone know how to decipher Chrysler parts numbers? I have a bcm, body control module, number po4686921AG. I found several used ones with the same number but with different ending letters. From AA to AL. What do the numbers and letters mean?
Does anyone know of a rebuilder where you send you unit in and they rebuild your BCM to original specifications and send it back programed, plug and play?
How do I or anyone know if the BCM is the original unit since my 2001 was bought used.
Wow, that was hard to quote reply with all those spaces and the back-slash. o_O

OK, the difference of the AA to AL is, the revision level of the part. typically, the later AL is the BETTER part because it took that many revisions to get the part to work RIGHT.

Your AG level is better than all the letter designation going back to AA. Thus, your AG is only 5 revision fixes from AL.

Ideally, go for a BCM with the SAME number and the ending from AG to AL would be SAFE to use bought used.

I deal with these numbers on a daily basis. There are set rules on how these are pulled in the system. It takes a person 3 years to get accustomed just to get a feel for how these numbers all work at different levels in a vehicle. LOL. Takes even longer IF you didn't know the old numbering system.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,306 Posts
Pay attention if yours (or the donor van) has sentry key or not, as this is learned in the BCM. If the donor had sentry key and yours does not, guess what? Your van won't start, and the BCM cannot "unlearn" the feature so it is money wasted. There's a whole thread about this called "I think I'm locked out" in this section that will give you some insight about this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that was hard to quote reply with all those spaces and the back-slash. o_O

OK, the difference of the AA to AL is, the revision level of the part. typically, the later AL is the BETTER part because it took that many revisions to get the part to work RIGHT.

Your AG level is better than all the letter designation going back to AA. Thus, your AG is only 5 revision fixes from AL.

Ideally, go for a BCM with the SAME number and the ending from AG to AL would be SAFE to use bought used.

I deal with these numbers on a daily basis. There are set rules on how these are pulled in the system. It takes a person 3 years to get accustomed just to get a feel for how these numbers all work at different levels in a vehicle. LOL. Takes even longer IF you didn't know the old numbering system.
Pay attention if yours (or the donor van) has sentry key or not, as this is learned in the BCM. If the donor had sentry key and yours does not, guess what? Your van won't start, and the BCM cannot "unlearn" the feature so it is money wasted. There's a whole thread about this called "I think I'm locked out" in this section that will give you some insight about this.
Thanks very much for the information!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts