The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 3rd-generation 3.3L while my Haynes manual reports "a dynamic tensioner automatically maintains the correct belt tension".

But I'm experiencing a noticeable squeak that seems to be coming from that area. It varies with engine speed and seems to be worse in the rain. It's not always present, but I could imagine it becoming more pronounced.

Is this normal? Could it be something other than my drive belt?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Usually squeal means slipping. Slipping means insufficient tension. You can test the tension by pressing on the top span of the belt(when not running of course). If it deflects much, then there's not enough tension. There are 3 possible causes that I can think of offhand. You could have any or all of them.

1. the belt has stretched with age
2. the belt has hardened with age reducing its friction
3. the tensioner arm's spring has weakened with age or its pivot has gained friction it should not have.

Water reduces friction further so naturally they squeal more(or maybe only) when wet. Make sure the wiper tray's drain hose is connected, otherwise it dumps rain water right on the belt. If the belt is at least kind of old, then just change it anyway. But you probably need to change the tensioner.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Belt squeak can also be caused by tensioner misalignment or tensioner seizure, often related, both of which we had on our '98 GC 3.3L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts