The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any brand recommendations for a belt tensioner and idler pulley for a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan? I've seen CARQUEST by Dayco tensioner and an idler pulley by Litens; a kit by Gates, and a Dayco belt kit that includes a replacement overrunning alternator pulley.

Is the alternator pulley something that should be replaced when the tensioner is replaced?

·
Super Moderator
22,078 Posts
Did you take a look at Rockauto.com? The Mopar tensioner didn't last long on my 2007 GC, so can't recommend that.

RockAuto:
tensioner,11659

pulley,6956

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,725 Posts
Rock Auto is a sponsor/supporter of this site. They always post Discount Codes in their thread in the Vendor section. 😎

·
Registered
593 Posts
I second the ROCKAUTO site. (y)

The Gates kit sold there has a very durable tensioner, Gates belt, and a pulley. All on NEW bolts and bearings. The kit is the way to go overall.

Gates kit p/n = ACK060822

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for the recommendations. Rock Auto prices are very reasonable. I will be ordering the kit today. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I third the purchase of a Gates brand tensioner.

At 197.7K on my 05 DGCV 3.3L w/ ~232K
  • I installed a Gate 38185 tensioner (RockAuto)... no issues w/ new one, old OEM tensioner was noisy
  • I installed a Gate 42292 water pump (RockAuto)... no issues

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jerseyhilltopper - were you having issues with the water pump, or was this preventative maintenance? My 2007 van has 165,000 miles on it with the original water pump. Is a water pump as old as mine on borrowed time?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Regarding my Gates 42292 water pump (RockAuto) install at 197.7K on my 05 DGCV 3.3L w/ ~232...
  • My original symptoms:
    • Mild front side engine/belt noise
    • The old WP was not leaking
    • The old WP's pully appeared to be wobbling slightly at higher RPMs
    • The old WP was a Cardone 55-33140 (RockAuto) w/ 75K on it
  • Since I wanted to go in there in 1 shot, I purchased both a new Gates water pump and a new Gates tensioner
  • The WP & tensioner replacement resolved my front side engine/belt noise:
    • The old WP did have slight impeller scrape marks on the inside, so it was wobbling slightly and the timing of the replacement was good
    • The old tensioner rotated slightly rough when I operated by hand at low RPMs once it was removed. I believe this is where most of my noise was coming from. The timing of the tensioner replacement was good since it had 197.7K on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also got the "GATES ACK060822 {#DBK060825} Accessory Belt Drive Kit" (can't post links), I installed it about 8k km ago as my belt started to tear apart. Works great and squeaking went away, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts