The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the brake lines on our '97 Van have to be replaced? I'm wondering how hard bending new lines are on these vans? It looks like you need to remove the gas tank to do 2 lines on the left side. Is this possible without a lift? Could a novice do this?

·
Registered
398 Posts
It would be a big job to remove the tank in the driveway. My dad just had his lines replaced and I looked at it and I would only do it if the cost would have been really high. They charged him $100 including bleeding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems much easier to do the job on a lift. $100? Was that just for the lines on one side? That seems really low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in agreement with petet. I just did my own rear brake lines from the proportioning valve, to about 8 inches behind the steel braided lines under the drivers side of the car. I just used various sized cans for forming/bending the steel lines. Everything went well as I took my time and was double careful. I too am a novice at brakeline work. Flairing steel brake lines, while they still attached to the van is MURDER. At least for someone with my upper body strengh (or lack there-of)
I will add I have a screaming case of spinal stenosis, and should have a spinal fusion done soon. Because of this it took me a couple days to get the work done. I can't imagine how much longer it would have taken if I had to drop the gas tank. I too did mine in my driveway.
Hindsight being 20/20, and noticing petet is from the western chicagoland suburbs (as am I), I probably would have asked him where his Dad took his van, and paid the $100. I'm really sore and eating pain-killers cause' I really shouldn't be doing this type of work pre-surgury, but I'm also pretty stubborn. I truely love the feeling of satisfaction after doing automotive work myself.
Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts