The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put these pads on in the last several months. They are copper free ceramic. They are really dusty and I'm pretty disappointed. Other than that, they seem like OK pads. But I didn't get the cleanliness I thought I was paying for. This is after a few weeks of driving, starting with spotless wheels.

Edit: The rotor is new, so don't get distracted by its condition.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
See how smooth and spotless your rotor is? There always tradeoffs with pads... rare to have the pad that has it all.

cold performance
heat resistance
long wearing
low dusting
quiet
low rotor wear
no rotor grooves
low price
fits without binding

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those rotors are brand new today. Hadn't moved the van yet.
White Gas Machine Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Was your left front rotor glazed over? I see mine is not looking clean like my right front. That happened with the previous rotors as well.

Interesting, the dust issue with the copper free pad. All pads create dust, they have to, some not so noticeable.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to get away with replacing just the pads, leaving the OE rotors because they looked good. We took a road trip recently and I found the brakes shuddered a bit when warm, so I went ahead and replaced the front rotors yesterday. Similar story with the rear rotors actually before the road trip, but they looked like they were getting pad deposits or otherwise not getting clean contact. The rears looked good after the trip.

Brembo! Lol

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
412 Posts
I tried to get away with replacing just the pads, leaving the OE rotors because they looked good. We took a road trip recently and I found the brakes shuddered a bit when warm, so I went ahead and replaced the front rotors yesterday. Similar story with the rear rotors actually before the road trip, but they looked like they were getting pad deposits or otherwise not getting clean contact. The rears looked good after the trip.

Brembo! Lol
I’ll probably buy Brembo rotors when the OEM’s are done. I recently changed the rear pads to Akebono ceramics. I haven’t noticed any dust. But to be honest I haven’t checked :p

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Brembo! Lol
I had Brembo on ours, they made it 2 weeks before "warping"..... That's what led to the Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with the Z23 pads.
That combo has been on for 40k miles now, they're still around 80% pad and show no sign of giving up any time soon.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'll cross my fingers for better results.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll get a set of Akebono ceramic pads for the front. The rear wheels are staying pretty clean, but the fronts get really dirty.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
"warping" rotors means you are driving too hard, with repeated hard stops. Anticipate more, coast more, don't hold the brakes down in one position for too long if hot. Don't wash the car if brakes are hot.

Let the wheels rotate without brakes on to cool the rotors. Use just enough brakes to drive safely.

Coasting to a stop also saves gas. Lead feet means worn brakes.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Take an angle grinder, with a flap disk on it, to clean the rust and pad deposits/crap off a warped roror and see what happens to the "warp". :)

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Rim

NEIKO 11120A Zirconia Flap Disc | 80 Grit | 10 Pack | 4.5-Inch x 7/8-Inch | Bevel Type #29 | 13,300 RPM | Premium and Industrial Grade | High Performance Edge Grinding

Great way to clean up a rotor. :) Beats filing, chipping rust, and hand sanding.

Paint and Scale Removal
It is also an excellent tool to remove rust and corrosion scales, heat treatment scales, etc. You can use a flap disc with an angle grinder to clean old paint, rust, and other materials without damaging the surface underneath. It can also be utilized to remove stickers or other adhesive materials from surfaces like concrete or metal.
Grit Size
The size of the abrasive grain determines the quality of finish. A higher the grit number means finer abrasive grains and hence smoother finish.
Grit SizeCommon Uses
24 – 40 gritHeavy Stock Removal
40 – 60 gritGrinding, Weld clean-up
80 grit discsCleaning, Sanding
120 git and aboveFinishing

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
"warping" rotors means you are driving too hard, with repeated hard stops. Anticipate more, coast more, don't hold the brakes down in one position for too long if hot. Don't wash the car if brakes are hot.

Let the wheels rotate without brakes on to cool the rotors. Use just enough brakes to drive safely.

Coasting to a stop also saves gas. Lead feet means worn brakes.
It not dubbed the "race van" for nothing.

Hence why we upgrade to better than factory parts. More stopping power, more consistent stopping power, no more warpy, no need to piss everyone else on the road off from driving like a grandpa.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Grandpas take note. Move over for Long_Voyager94. He's coming through. At 94. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Grandpas take note. Move over for Long_Voyager94. He's coming through. At 94. :)
Na, I'm patient. It's other drivers that are complete a$$hats around people who drive slowly.

There are however a few deserted local roads that are a riot to tear up, even in a minivan. Issue is the brakes aren't up to the task of spirited driving (fun fact: factory rotors will glow).

I just don't get the people who can't figure out why someone would want to upgrade instead of dealing with a subpar system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts