The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I currently have a 2014 T&C Touring and I want to get another T&C for my 2nd car.

I've previously owned a 2001 T&C Limited that I traded for the 2014 model.

I'm looking at the 2008-2011 model years and I'm unsure of what would be a good pick.

The 2008 model year appears to have the most issues, which makes sense since it was the first year of a new design.

However, most of the vans I see in my area in the price range I want are 2008 models. One I'm looking at is a WP Chrysler Signature Edition, the rest are mostly touring models.

I wanted to get some expert :) advice on which model year is best. Is 2008 really that bad?

The vehicle would be driven 5 miles/day most of the time, so I don't foresee it going on any long trips.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
2011 would be nearly identical to your 2014, except for the brakes. I like the design, and motor from 2011+ much better. However, it still would be best to get what you could afford. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you're more likely to encounter cylinder head issues with a 2011. That was the first year the vans got the 3.6 pentastar. Chrysler figured out a solution sometime in either 2012 or 2013. For that reason I went with an older model year back when we were shopping for our van. I don't like buying first year anything, I like to give the engineers a couple years to chase down any bugs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I decide to buy a vehicle I first decide how much I have to spend then start looking for what I want in my price range disregarding everything except mileage. I try to find the lowest mileage newest vehicle within striking distance. Lowest priority is what options it has, the more options the more likely something will give me trouble especially if it's an older vehicle. I would buy a 70,000 mile SXT before I would buy a 120,000 mile limited.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I was looking at 5th gens, the early ones weren't that much cheaper than a pentastar equipped one but I did hear that on the earlier ones to try and get the 4.0L one. They supposedly get better mileage than the smaller engines and come with more features. If you get a 2011, make sure that any head issues have been addressed. My friend's 2012 has had both heads replaced. They didn't do them at the same time.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When I was looking at 5th gens, the early ones weren't that much cheaper than a pentastar equipped one but I did hear that on the earlier ones to try and get the 4.0L one. They supposedly get better mileage than the smaller engines and come with more features. If you get a 2011, make sure that any head issues have been addressed. My friend's 2012 has had both heads replaced. They didn't do them at the same time.
Remember with the head issues, they are covered until 10 years or 150K miles. Also it really seemed that in most cases if they were going to go, they failed relatively early on. I have no way to know for sure with mine if it was done during its first 48K miles, but I now have 88K and I haven't seen any issues with the cylinder head.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I would not buy one with a 4.0 unless i had verifiable proof that the timing belt was recently replaced.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Remember with the head issues, they are covered until 10 years or 150K miles. Also it really seemed that in most cases if they were going to go, they failed relatively early on. I have no way to know for sure with mine if it was done during its first 48K miles, but I now have 88K and I haven't seen any issues with the cylinder head.
I think I would go for the 2011 even with the possibility of a head issue. I'm sure you could get it fixed from Chrysler. You could also upgrade to the HD brakes later on if you keep the van.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yup. On 2011 and 2012 there is an extended warranty on the left cylinder head (the one that fails). Owners were notified via mail about a year ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
Are you sure Chrysler covers those heads up to 10 yr/150k miles? Is it a recall? I thought I read on this board that somebody got stuck with a $4k repair bill.
Yes, we got a letter for ours too.

No problems so far through.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had a 2010 with the 4.0 liter and it was fine for the couple of years I had it. The 4.0 seemed to be almost as quick as the 3.6 liter. I think it had more torque. They used that engine in the 'old' Pacifica and a couple of guys at work who had them seemed pleased with them. I never heard anything about problems with the timing belt. I don't know if that engine has a design where the valves would come into contact with the piston if the timing belt broke. Some engines have that design and some don't. The mileage seemed to be about the same between the 4.0 and the 3.6.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all. We picked up a 2008 T&C Touring Signature Edition with only 75K miles on it. Still nervous about it being a first year of the new design, but the low miles, excellent condition of the vehicle, and the features sold me on it.

Again, thank you everyone!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thank you all. We picked up a 2008 T&C Touring Signature Edition with only 75K miles on it. Still nervous about it being a first year of the new design, but the low miles, excellent condition of the vehicle, and the features sold me on it.

Again, thank you everyone!
Enjoy the "new" 2008!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts