The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a best muffler for a 2000 GV w/3.3? Already tried a Walker that rusted out in 1-1/2 years. OEM is $400+ with resonator.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,125 Posts
Walker Quiet Flow muffler with a "lifetime" warranty is a fairly common replacement muffler. It won't last a lifetime for sure, so purchasing locally may be the best way to go when using the warranty.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Walker Quiet Flow muffler with a "lifetime" warranty is a fairly common replacement muffler. It won't last a lifetime for sure, so purchasing locally may be the best way to go when using the warranty.
I agree with Jeepman. How much longer are you keeping the van? If it's just a year or you will be dumping the van, then get the cheapest possible.

On my 98 Sienna, the OEM Toyota flex pipe can cat was around $1300 and over $500 for the rear section with resonator (before 13% taxes). I opted to go the aftermarket $500 route, but had to replace those parts 3 times in the 10 years I owned the van. Some aftermarket stuff doesn't even last three years.

·
Latent car nut
9,061 Posts
Is there a best muffler for a 2000 GV w/3.3? Already tried a Walker that rusted out in 1-1/2 years. OEM is $400+ with resonator.

Thanks.
I had a Walker with the Lifetime warranty put on our 1998 DGC Sport; 70,000 miles later it was still intact when I traded the van in.

·
Super Moderator
25,125 Posts
I put a Walker Quiet Flow Muffler on the 2002 in March 2010 at 212,000 km. Got a new one under Walker warranty May 2013 at 293,500 km. (seam was coming apart). Likely do for a change again soon.

Today, March 3rd, 2016/341,000 km [34 months/47,500 km]
May, 2013/293,500 km (Replacement of Walker Quiet Flow muffler under warranty) Labor: $81.00 [38 months/81,500 km]
March, 2010/212,000 km (Replaced OE muffler with Walker Quiet Flow) Labor: $70.00

That's my experience. There was no problem getting a replacement, even though the muffler could have lasted a bit longer before an actual hole developed. They probably expect warranty replacements as routine every 3 years or so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Both my van (98 CT&C) Jeep (95 JGC) still have their original exhaust systems on them. Van has 175K on it and Jeep has 250K. I did remove the CAT on the Jeep, rodded it out, and reinstalled it. it is a 95 so OBD I and only 1 O2 sensor in front of the CAT. I have been thrilled with the OEM versions. They might be expensive, but if they truly last that way, I'm good with it.

I had a 88 Pontiac Sunbird GT that blew out its original muffler, so I bought whatever the auto parts store had for the "lifetime replacement" for it. I replaced it 3 more times at no charge. I think I got my money's worth out of that warranty. If you're going to get one, go with what is the lifetime warranty at the FLAPS. (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) Then, when it goes out, you go buy a new one, take out the old one, and return the old one with both receipts to the FLAPS. Zero cost other than your labor. If you set it up properly, it can be easy to R/R.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
use a "quality" v-8 car muffler and a pipe where the rear rez was and you will be pleased with the "noise" !

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
I put a Walker Quiet Flow Muffler on the 2002 in March 2010 at 212,000 km. Got a new one under Walker warranty May 2013 at 293,500 km. (seam was coming apart). Likely do for a change again soon.

Today, March 3rd, 2016/341,000 km [34 months/47,500 km]
May, 2013/293,500 km (Replacement of Walker Quiet Flow muffler under warranty) Labor: $81.00 [38 months/81,500 km]
March, 2010/212,000 km (Replaced OE muffler with Walker Quiet Flow) Labor: $70.00

That's my experience. There was no problem getting a replacement, even though the muffler could have lasted a bit longer before an actual hole developed. They probably expect warranty replacements as routine every 3 years or so.
At least we now know what kind of muffler not to buy. Muffler should last a lot more than that, unless you have a timing problem causing engine to backfire, resulting on a damaged muffler (just like yours, open seam).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
At least we now know what kind of muffler not to buy. Muffler should last a lot more than that, unless you have a timing problem causing engine to backfire, resulting on a damaged muffler (just like yours, open seam).
The Canadian weather kills exhaust systems too. Good to know that he can keep getting a replacement for free.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
The Canadian weather kills exhaust systems too. Good to know that he can keep getting a replacement for free.
Yes, I understand that Canadian thing. Here, where I live, mufflers usually outlast vehicle ownership. There is no reason to replace muffler more than once if you keep your vehicle up to 25 years. Up north, I would expect a quality muffler to last at least 7-10 years, longer if made out of stainless steel.

How long the original muffler usually last if you buy your vehicle new? Just because you live in Canada you need to replace muffler every two-three years?

Yes, good think Jeepman had lifetime warranty on his muffler but, still have to pay for installation. Mufflers are not one of those wearable replacement parts like brakes, belts etc.that you expect to replace every so many miles.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yes, I understand that Canadian thing. Here, where I live, mufflers usually outlast vehicle ownership. There is no reason to replace muffler more than once if you keep your vehicle up to 25 years. Up north, I would expect a quality muffler to last at least 7-10 years, longer if made out of stainless steel.

How long the original muffler usually last if you buy your vehicle new? Just because you live in Canada you need to replace muffler every two-three years?

Yes, good think Jeepman had lifetime warranty on his muffler but, still have to pay for installation. Mufflers are not one of those wearable replacement parts like brakes, belts etc.that you expect to replace every so many miles.
Levy,

You are correct. The OEM mufflers usually last 7-10 years. My wife has a 97 civic and it's still got the OEM muffler. I had to replace the header since there was a hairline crack in it and now on that car the first pipe has a small hole at the flange.

That car is kept in the Garage and is usually a short tripper. We have owned that car from new.

I had a 98 Sienna, The oem exhaust lasted until 2006. Toyota wanted over $1800 for the two pieces of the exhaust (flex pipe and cat) $1300 and then $500 for the rear muffler.

I didn't feel like spending that amount of money, since I didn't know how long I was going to keep the van. I ended up selling it last sept when I bought the DCG. In that time, I replaced the flex pipe three times and the rear exhaust twice. That probably cost me around $1200, I did the work myself, except for the first install that the shop needed the Oxy-acetelyne torch to cut out the OEM exhaust.

The cheap exhausts only last 2-5 years up here. I think if you drive more, then the exhaust will last longer since it's able to dry out with the damp weather.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
Levy,

You are correct. The OEM mufflers usually last 7-10 years. My wife has a 97 civic and it's still got the OEM muffler. I had to replace the header since there was a hairline crack in it and now on that car the first pipe has a small hole at the flange.

That car is kept in the Garage and is usually a short tripper. We have owned that car from new.

I had a 98 Sienna, The oem exhaust lasted until 2006. Toyota wanted over $1800 for the two pieces of the exhaust (flex pipe and cat) $1300 and then $500 for the rear muffler.

I didn't feel like spending that amount of money, since I didn't know how long I was going to keep the van. I ended up selling it last sept when I bought the DCG. In that time, I replaced the flex pipe three times and the rear exhaust twice. That probably cost me around $1200, I did the work myself, except for the first install that the shop needed the Oxy-acetelyne torch to cut out the OEM exhaust.

The cheap exhausts only last 2-5 years up here. I think if you drive more, then the exhaust will last longer since it's able to dry out with the damp weather.
Hey, something I failed to consider, snow and pieces of ice hitting the exhaust system will also shorten the life of the exhaust system! :)

·
Super Moderator
25,125 Posts
Hey, something I failed to consider, snow and pieces of ice hitting the exhaust system will also shorten the life of the exhaust system! :)
Naw .... snow and ice hitting the exhaust system just shortens the life of the snow and ice. :)

I suspect most of the corrosion is from inside out due to condensation buildup inside the system. I can remember seeing water pouring out the drain in the OE muffler of my 2002 GC, on a cold morning, and thinking I had a bad leak from something. Couldn't believe that much ice had built up inside the muffler.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
Naw .... snow and ice hitting the exhaust system just shortens the life of the snow and ice. :)

I suspect most of the corrosion is from inside out due to condensation buildup inside the system. I can remember seeing water pouring out the drain in the OE muffler of my 2002 GC, on a cold morning, and thinking I had a bad leak from something. Couldn't believe that much ice had built up inside the muffler.
I'm not talking about corrosion, but deformed muffler due to being struck by an object. Happen very often on vehicles driven off road. Big chunks of ice may cause muffler to loose its shape and fail at seams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been having some exhaust issues lately, and I would recommend not using Walker parts. That being said, I don't know of any other pre-bent exhaust parts brand on the market. A mechanic replaced the rusted out OEM muffler back exhaust with what appeared to be Walker parts. That system lasted less than 2 years, with the muffler rusting out where the hanger strap wrapped around the muffler.

Looking to replace that with something better, I decided to go with the stainless Walker muffler, and standard (aluminized?) rear pipe with resonator, which is the only rear pipe available from Walker. Well, after about two years, I started hearing a knocking when I started the van. I assumed that the exhaust came off one of the hangers or something. When I went underneath to check it out, I noticed that the whole rear pipe was able to twist in its place, and was now hitting the frame, but was still in the hangers. Turns out, the SS muffler was fine, but the rear pipe rusted and broke off right at the muffler outlet. I tried to just add an adapter piece to reconnect to rear pipe with the muffler, but the rear pipe crushed where it was rusted and it slide out a couple days later. I then had to buy a 45° bent piece of exhaust pipe from the auto parts store, and a few clamps, to be able to clamp to something that wasn't rusted. We'll see how long this lasts.

So, anybody know of anyone, other than Walker, who makes the rear resonator pipe? I guess Mopar.....but how much does that cost? The Walker is only $60 online, but the quality sucks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify. Although the muffler was still working, the resonator pipe, where it is attached to the muffler, rusts out and crumbles. Walker warranties the resonators for 90 days. Only Walker mufflers get 3 years. The Walker resonator needs to be replaced every year or so. No where, I can find, does anyone make a resonator for the minivan with a decent warranty.

·
Registered
890 Posts
A bad coil pack can take out the muffler as well. In my younger days when driving though a local tunnel we would turn the ignition off and on and get a back fire noise and flame shoot from the tailpipe. Blew the whole exhaust system off the car doing that.

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts

Great work shortening "the life of snow and ice" we're all trying to do our part. But don't forget, the catalytic converter "converts" many emissions back into good old H2O, which dribbles from our tailpipes only to freeze back into "snow and ice" and smash up our mufflers. Can't wait to get rid of my Walker, started making internal noise early on. Loose baffle probably. $tainle$$ next time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts