The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Dodge Caravan I have had a clicking noise coming from the right rear side underneath panel. This has been going on for years. From what I have read it could possible be the blend door actuator. Lately, I have had a similar noise on the driver's side under the dash. I assume this is the same issue but with a different actuator. Not the same noise I mentioned in the previous post about brakes. From what I've read about the actuators, it would seem that the HVAC should be on for this to happen. However, I get the noise while my car is off and parked, along with when I'm driving. Does this problem sound like it could be the actuators?
`

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Yep. The actuator does a sweep when it wakes up. When the system is shut down it goes into a park position. This happens regardless of whether you use it or not.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. The actuator does a sweep when it wakes up. When the system is shut down it goes into a park position. This happens regardless of whether you use it or not.
quote from online source:
"WHAT DOES A BAD ACTUATOR SOUND LIKE?
If an actuator binds inside the Hvac plenum, the control module will attempt to overcome the restriction several times before it shuts down the circuit. You will hear the ticking noise from the actuator motor." Would you agree that the ticking noise indicates an actuator that should be replaced before it fails?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Before it fails? The ticking is because it has failed. Either the door it moves is binding or the actuator is too weak to move it. Unless it was hit in that area or something was dropped in the vents, it's going to be the actuator. Chevys have issues with the doors inside falling apart, but not Dodge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before it fails? The ticking is because it has failed. Either the door it moves is binding or the actuator is too weak to move it. Unless it was hit in that area or something was dropped in the vents, it's going to be the actuator. Chevys have issues with the doors inside falling apart, but not Dodge.
I'm still getting air and heat through all the vents, so wouldn't that indicate the door is opening and closing?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Most likely. It could be doing most of its range and binding toward the end. But more likely it's just the actuator losing track of its position or missing a few teeth on its gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts