The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 3 weeks or so my Blind Spot Warning system has intermittently stopped working. When it happens the EVIC will chime and display a message to the effect that the Blind Spot Warning System is unavailable. The left hand review mirror triangle will illuminate constantly.

Usually the mirror triangle will go out in several minutes and everything works normally again. Today it was non-functional for at least 10 minutes at which time I had reached my destination. I turned the vehicle off, waited 10-15 seconds and started it again, and the Blind Spot system was still inoperable. I returned to the vehicle several hours later, and it has worked normal since.

BTW, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the van is dirty or clean.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is it setting any codes that would help the dealer find the problem without doing a trial and error exercise?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
We don't have it on our van, but I think your best bet would be to try and get a picture or video of it happening the next time that it happens (Pull over and get this) and then you can show it to the dealer.

Hopefully its something simple

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be hard to photograph, because the message only stays up for about 5 seconds. The left side mirror triangle light stays on continuously as long as the fault exists.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Silly question, but have you tried to update your radio firmware/software lately? I know it will disable the detection during the update process of the radio. Maybe the update didn't take effect? Also, maybe you could do a factory default reset on the radio? I am speaking of a 730N, you may not have the 730. Just a thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had this happen twice. Once last winter, on an extremely slushy day, when a buildup of slush and ice accumulated over the sensor on the rear drivers side bumper. I ran it through the car wash the same afternoon to clean it off, and after restarting, had no problems. The second time was this past summer, driving from Buffalo, NY to Indianapolis, IN. I was in the far left lane, and there was a concrete barrier pretty close on the left, and tractor trailer on the right. Not sure if the sensors were bouncing signals off both objects and detecting each other, making it detect something was wrong, but we stopped for gas 15-20 minutes later and when I restarted, everything was fine. It has never happened since for me. I do know what your talking about however, I had the same message appear on my EVIC. I try to keep my van immaculately clean, and wash it 3+ times week, if that helps..

-Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Be hard to photograph, because the message only stays up for about 5 seconds. The left side mirror triangle light stays on continuously as long as the fault exists.
Oh, scratch that then!

Does it store it in the "messages" area?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it doesn't store in the message area. The last time it happened was 2 days ago one day after it was washed and still squeaky clean.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No, it doesn't store in the message area. The last time it happened was 2 days ago one day after it was washed and still squeaky clean.
Just food for thought... Just because the "outside" of the bumper is clean, doesnt mean the "inside" of the bumper is clean... (so the area between the bumper and the metal rear quarter panel where the BSM sensor is located) If there is dirt or debris between there (excessive roadspray, gravel dust, dirt, etc) it CAN effect the operation of those sensors... By NO MEANS am I saying to take off your bumber cover, but see if you can get on the ground and look up (move splash shield) if you need to and see if that area is clean!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just food for thought... Just because the "outside" of the bumper is clean, doesnt mean the "inside" of the bumper is clean... (so the area between the bumper and the metal rear quarter panel where the BSM sensor is located) If there is dirt or debris between there (excessive roadspray, gravel dust, dirt, etc) it CAN effect the operation of those sensors... By NO MEANS am I saying to take off your bumber cover, but see if you can get on the ground and look up (move splash shield) if you need to and see if that area is clean!
Good idea... It's worth a shot before heading off to the dealership...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great idea. Do you know exactly where the sensors are? It is my understanding that they are behind the rear quarter panels, not the bumper. The sensors in the bumper are for the back-up system.

I'll crawl under there tomorrow and see what I can see.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's a great idea. Do you know exactly where the sensors are? It is my understanding that they are behind the rear quarter panels, not the bumper. The sensors in the bumper are for the back-up system.

I'll crawl under there tomorrow and see what I can see.
You are correct! The 4 Rear Facing Sensors in the bumper are for the Park Assist System. The BSM Sensors are located on the left and right side of the rear of the vehicle in the quarter panels, I believe... :blink:

You may not be able to see the sensors, but at least you can try and see the area between the inside of the bumper cover and the quarter panel and see how dirty/clean it is...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I looked up into the rear quarter panels and found the sensors. Technically they are on the inside of the rear bumper cover (plastic) that wraps around the sides and serves as the quarter panels. The surrounding area was amazingly clean, which is no surprise sense I've never driven it on a muddy road and have it washed regularly at a car wash that has an under-body spray.

The left side has wiring that attaches to the sensor via a connector and does the right side. On the right side there is another connector just behind the wheel well. My theory du jour is that one of these connectors might be intermittent. The connectors don't appear to be very well sealed against moisture. They aren't hard to get at, but not while I'm lying on my back on the garage floor. Van really needs to be on a lift to properly get at them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2011 T&C also has the blind spot lights on. first just one, then both. cleaned the undercarriage around the sensor several times. trip to the dealer for the computer diagnostics reported "internal malfunction of blind spot system module" Part alone is $985. Yes, 985 is not a typo. Plus labor and tax. The mechanic made no attempt to look at the sensor in the 1/4 panel/bumper area. I thought electronic components were all or nothing so lights wouldn't come on and off periodically. I could not find any fuse dedicated to the blind spot detection system.
Would the system reset if I disconnect one of the battery cables? Other ideas?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy cow, that's serious money. My BSM has only malfunctioned once in the last 9(?) months. I think it may be worse in the winter than when it's warm, but I don't have any hard data. The van now has about 76,000 miles on it, and if it's going to fail, I hope it does before 100K while I still have a bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My bumper to bumper warranty ran out at 48,000 miles. I know have about 67000.

Is it possible to reset the BSM somehow?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love this system- hate the idiosyncrasies.

This system- the head unit and the electronics int he sliding doors are EXACTLY what pushed me to buy the Lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just curious, but did you ever find out what the problem was? For the last 3-4 days, the drivers side blind spot indicator has remained on for the entire drive to work, even with open field to the left, and then "warns" me when I use my left signal. I also looked underneath, clean as a whistle. No warnings on the DIC. It's going back Thursday for the rough idle and check engine light that keeps coming back (multiple cylinder misfire), I guess I'll have them check this too. Ugh, getting really tired of the problems with this thing... :angry:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts