The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan RT 3.6L V6. My blower motor during the winter would intermittently shut off. A few month ago, it stopped turning on at all. I changed my blower motor, resistor, fuse, and relay but it still doesn't work. I used my multimeter to check for voltage coming out of the connector into the blower motor but there's none. I also checked the voltage of the plug that goes into the wire harness right behind the glove box. There is only one wire in that plug which has an output of 4.96 volts, and the rest have none. I'm not sure what to do about this.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
639 Posts
The power comes from the TIPM (Totally integrated power module) which is a part of the fuse box. Open it up, and look for any water damage. Pull the HVAC and blower motor relays out and check those for any sign that there had been water around.

It could be a cause of these issues, worth a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The power comes from the TIPM (Totally integrated power module) which is a part of the fuse box. Open it up, and look for any water damage. Pull the HVAC and blower motor relays out and check those for any sign that there had been water around.

It could be a cause of these issues, worth a look.
I opened up my TIPM and found no damage.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
639 Posts
I opened up my TIPM and found no damage.
Well, it was a good place to check, sorry for all the work tearing it apart to find nothing :(

Here is a wiring diagram for the front blower motor, it may or may not help. The wiring goes under the dash to the driver side where it then goes to the TIPM.

Just to verify, you mentioned the plug behind the glove box had no power going to it, which end of the plug did you check? The power will come from the main harness, then to the power module, then to the blower motor itself. The motor will only have power going to it when the climate is turned on and running.

Another thing to note, for early 5'th gen vans (08-10), vans with manual climate had a blower motor resistor, and vans with auto climate had a power module. The units look different, the power module has lots of cooling fins whereas the resistor has a flat piece of metal. The units have the exact same plug. (I'm talking about the plug into the wall to the left of the re circulation housing, the unit is held in by 2 gold screws and 2 clips)

If you put in a power module into a system that needs a resistor, the blower will not work and same vise versa. You mentioned you replaced the resistor, do you remember if the unit was the same as the one originally in your van?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good morning, thank you for replying and giving all the information you had to offer.

I purchased this van new from the dealership in 2012. Absolutely nothing inside of the interior has been modified and it has 163000 miles. The resistor and blower motor are OEM.

When I mention resistor, I’m referring to my power module which does have cooling fins, so it’s auto climate. When I’m testing voltage, I do have my climate control on and running. The rear blower motor does work.

To verify, the plug behind the glove box which I was originally referring to was the main one which supplies power from the main harness. That is the one which only has one wire (the navy blue with white stripe) has a consistent 4.96 volts. Two other wires have 0.3 volts, one has -0.11, and the rest have 0.

I’ve tried aftermarket replacements for the fuse, relay, resistor, and blower motor as well as pulling out the OEM parts from the same model van as mine in a junkyard. Changing them still doesn’t fix the problem. I even tested my van’s original fuse, relay, and blower motor which still function properly.

I looked at the wires which come to power the blower motor that lead from the big plug in the left side driver’s footwell. The wires that go into the climate controls are fine. There is connectivity of the thick blue wire from the driver’s footwell harness to the main plug for the wire harness behind the glove box.

There are three wires which go into the resistor, the thick blue one which I’m sure is power, a thick black one which is ground, and a third blue with gray stripe small wire which has -0.11 volts. They go into the resistor and then the thick blue and black wires come out the other plug from the resistor which leads into the blower motor.

The thick blue goes out into the TIPM where I’m pretty sure it connects to the relay. But, there is not voltage coming out of that wire even when the car is turned on and climate controls are on. I also did have a wiring diagram that I got online to check. I’m still very confused on why the thick blue wire is receiving no voltage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
639 Posts
Good morning, thank you for replying and giving all the information you had to offer.

I purchased this van new from the dealership in 2012. Absolutely nothing inside of the interior has been modified and it has 163000 miles. The resistor and blower motor are OEM.

When I mention resistor, I’m referring to my power module which does have cooling fins, so it’s auto climate. When I’m testing voltage, I do have my climate control on and running. The rear blower motor does work.

To verify, the plug behind the glove box which I was originally referring to was the main one which supplies power from the main harness. That is the one which only has one wire (the navy blue with white stripe) has a consistent 4.96 volts. Two other wires have 0.3 volts, one has -0.11, and the rest have 0.

I’ve tried aftermarket replacements for the fuse, relay, resistor, and blower motor as well as pulling out the OEM parts from the same model van as mine in a junkyard. Changing them still doesn’t fix the problem. I even tested my van’s original fuse, relay, and blower motor which still function properly.

I looked at the wires which come to power the blower motor that lead from the big plug in the left side driver’s footwell. The wires that go into the climate controls are fine. There is connectivity of the thick blue wire from the driver’s footwell harness to the main plug for the wire harness behind the glove box.

There are three wires which go into the resistor, the thick blue one which I’m sure is power, a thick black one which is ground, and a third blue with gray stripe small wire which has -0.11 volts. They go into the resistor and then the thick blue and black wires come out the other plug from the resistor which leads into the blower motor.

The thick blue goes out into the TIPM where I’m pretty sure it connects to the relay. But, there is not voltage coming out of that wire even when the car is turned on and climate controls are on. I also did have a wiring diagram that I got online to check. I’m still very confused on why the thick blue wire is receiving no voltage.
Yeah, it's a very strange case. In this situation, it may be better to tap a power wire somewhere else and send the power to the power module instead of getting it to just work.

If you remove the center climate control bezel, you will find a tapped connector to the harness by the climate controls. It is for the Chrysler T&C clock which is not used in the GCV (since it doesn't have one). It should be hot at all times.

You can also tap into the driver side or passenger side power seats. I have an aftermarket amplifier tapped to the driver side power seat and I have had no issues with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE
I got a TIPM from the junkyard for $30 that looked in really good condition. I swapped it with my current one, and it turns out that my motor blower now receives voltage and works perfectly fine.

I could not have done this without the very helpful advice from this forum. Most people on here were really kind and welcoming.

Big thanks to Michalb for providing the main solution to fix my problem.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
639 Posts
UPDATE
I got a TIPM from the junkyard for $30 that looked in really good condition. I swapped it with my current one, and it turns out that my motor blower now receives voltage and works perfectly fine.

I could not have done this without the very helpful advice from this forum. Most people on here were really kind and welcoming.

Big thanks to Michalb for providing the main solution to fix my problem.
I'm glad you got your issue solved! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts