1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yea it can be kind... Yea..

This is the fan at full tilt.

Why I Upload this..

1. First person thought it was coming from under the hood.

2. Another person thought it was a vac leak.

3. Person 3 thought it was some motor under the hood.

4. SOme kind of air leak>> :biggrin:

So I thought I would do the community a favor.

·
5000 Club
5,726 Posts
I don't have the time to listen to a 6 minute video. I FFd through it stopping here and there and hear nothing but your radio. At what point in the video does the noise start?

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Please use headphones when listening to the sound of the motor.

New and Improved... BE SURE TO WATCH THE CAPTIONS! If you do not see them. Then watch them on YouTube on your computer and not your phone.

I saw that my video did not have any of the Captions in there. Seems like it only works when you play it on YouTube, So I hard coded the Test to the Video. Be sure to have CAPTIONS turned on or you will be missing the point of the video.

I also hard coded something to the video. Thanks to Rip for letting me know that some people can not see the captions on all playable devices. Or may not have captions on.

Also, Here are some noises of fans motors not quite right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfcWXnkPkfA

So why the music? It is to demonstrate how loud the fan Blower motor is. It is louder then the Car radio at full tilt!

Most normal people are able to discern the noise that is not suppose to be there. This may seem hard to believe, but I thought this was pretty plain cut. Then I realized that most people don't have a real HIFI sound system anymore. And to most people out there listening to it on a tablet or Laptop speakers, this can be hard to hear.

The Noise is the constant about 400 HZ noise(Approximation) and sounds like a Vacuum cleaner hum that is coming from and upright or canister Vac.

Normal cabin noise does not sound like this in a car. Video was made to strategically illustrate how many people got fooled into not knowing where the noise was coming from.

This noise is due to a bad motor bearing that has been grooved and is out of round on one side so it resonates rather then make a grinding sound that is typical of motors with bad bearings.

Here is a great video on this by Eric the car guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpNRJ7m-c8

And make sure to click the links in the video to show you what all the diffrent kinds of noise bad fan motors make. This one was new to me as I have not heard one like this before.

The sheer loudness of it was amazing. I have not heard a car HVAC motor go out like that. It was a new one for me so I thought I would share it.

I don't care if you don't like the music. With any descent audio system, you can tell just what is the music and the noise. I chose this audio material because it gives you a great reference from the on of nature of the music and the constant monotone humm noise that goes on in the cabin. It makes the road noise that hovers around this cancel out somewhat so that you can hear the drone of the bad motor more clearly.

This is due to the nature of how YouTube uses the Flash Audio Codec and how it encodes sound. ( It is similar to how MP3's throws out frequency's for the sake of compression/file size)

Most people know what the quiet cabin of our vans sound like. I find it hard as a 34 year old guy to understand how anyone could mistake the noise they are hearing in this video for music. But again, My speakers are not made in china and Audio is a hobby of mine. Being able to tell sounds is what I do. And I am good at it. But when I heard this over a typical Cell phone speaker, I could not tell what it was either.

Thank you for your patience.

Mickey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts