The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

On my 2001 Chrysler Town & Country, the entire gauge cluster has been dead since I bought the van a few weeks ago.

The van has the 3.8 and is fully loaded, front & rear blower motors, power sliding doors, digital climate control, power rear hatch, heated seats, overhead screen, keyless entry, all of which are working... I've been fixing this van up and solved many problems using this forum but one has got me stumped...

The gauge cluster is completely dead. No needle movement at all and I have no turn signals. After doing some checking around, it sounds like a clear cut case of a bad BCM.

My question is, can I just swap a new one in and get it working? I pulled one from a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan that had the same power options from a local junkyard, but it has the exact same problem when I swapped them. All the doors, overhead, etc, still worked, but the gauge cluster did nothing and then turn signals still didn't work. I disconnected the battery before installing the new one...

I did notice that the replacement BCM was off by one letter, and also a different color, original is black, new one is whitish, but I figured I would try it anyways as it was the only one available in the yard. I'll go hunting around and see if I can find another one that is an exact part number match and try installing that.

The more I'm reading about the BCM, some people are saying it needs to be "flashed" or "programmed" by a dealership. I'm not concerned about the mileage shown, I just want to know how fast I'm going down the highway. I also have the "grey" ignition key, does this contain a security chip? If so, will I be able to just replace the BCM with one that has the exact same part number, or will I end up with a working gauge cluster but won't be able to start it?

Any help concerning the BCM and what it does, or how to ensure a match when seeking a replacement would be appreciated.

·
5000 Club
5,727 Posts
I recall a thread from some time ago about a dealership changing a hazards (emergency flashers) fuse to fix a dead cluster. Might check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did come across that post, but I checked all the fuses under the hood, and swapped / rotated all the relays to see if the problem changed, all to no avail.

The flashers also work when I press the button, so I am not thinking that it's flasher circuit related. I also unclipped the fuse block under the hood and checked the bottom for corrosion or bad wires, everything looked fine. I also wiggled all the connectors under there and nothing changed.

Today I removed the battery, cleaned the terminals and put it on a trickle charger overnight as I've had the van sitting while I work on it for a few days now and wanted to make sure it wasn't a low voltage problem. I also removed the gauge cluster and will head to another junkyard tomorrow to see if a new BCM and gauge cluster will fix the problem. I'll keep everyone posted on how/if I resolve this problem as it seems to be a common occurrence according to all my Google searching...

If it helps, all the indicator lights located above the cluster, on top the dash also do not work at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success! Sort of...

I went to the junk yard and found a BCM with the exact same part number, which was installed on a 2001 DGC with the same power options as my van, power sliding doors and what not.

I removed my battery, installed the BCM and viola, my dash board and blinkers are now working! The mileage of the van has changed, so it is obviously recorded on the BCM but I'm not concerned about this. The van starts and runs and the gauges are all functioning.

The only downside, the power sliding doors, the rear power hatch and the door unlock buttons do not work... when I press the door open buttons, I get nothing at all from pressing the overhead or the individual buttons by each door.

When I press the door slide button on the key remote, the blinkers flash and all the power locks unlock, but nothing happens...

Am I correct in assuming that all of these functions also pass through the BCM? If so, it appears I pulled one from a van that has a working dash BCM, but a non-working power doors.

I am now going to swap my old BCM back in and see if the doors begin working again. If they do, I think it would be safe to assume that the BCM is indeed at fault and I will continue searching for one. I'll keep you all posted.

If you ever need to replace the Body Control Module, I found the following video on youtube to be helpful....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5K0je-uhow

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a similar issue today on my 02 T&C limited. I did a battery change out and the dash went dead. everything else was working fine. just the instrument gauges were out. I did the pulling of the IDO fuse and it did not help. Finally after pulling the neg battery cable for several minutes, it cleared / reset for me. hope this helps someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts