The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3rd gen > all others
2,620 Posts
They had that all the way back in 2nd gen? Wow! I wouldn't use those anymore, as the plastic clips are too old and would break in an accident. Nice idea back then, but seats do have an expiration date for a reason.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be fine if you just had to use it if you had some unexpected guests in your car and they had kids? or maybe in town?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,053 Posts
I'm a NHTSA certified Vehicle Modifier, installed 100's of Special Needs car seats.

There is no federal or state law requiring car seats to expire.

Main reason for manufacturers to include an expiration date is just to make sure car seats comply with current federal car seats safety standars.

But guess what? safety standars are not retroactive, so I call that excuse B.S.

Now, why Chrysler discontinued those seats?

It could be for different reasons:

1. Very expensive testing.
  2. Complaints from people who doesn't need them. Those seats might not be as comfortable as regular seats, I don't know.
  3. Complaints from Car Seat manufacturers (more likely).
  4. New federal requirements for Car Seat manufacturers.
3 & 4 already happened to a transfer seat manufacturer before.

·
Vendor
1,453 Posts
Our 95 had them. They were excellent!!! Sorry the transmission in our 95 wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe one of the problems you’ll run into is getting parts for the booster chair, these things are old enough that finding parts for the booster chair would be difficult

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They probably don’t even make parts for the booster chair anymore, so if that breaks, you cant use the booster seat

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,053 Posts
Maybe one of the problems you’ll run into is getting parts for the booster chair, these things are old enough that finding parts for the booster chair would be difficult

Parts?

What parts you would possible need? Harness is readily available from many vendors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is probably so much liability now, plus this is a 26 year old car. so probably it wouldn’t be very safe to use 26 year old car seats

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the seat that sits behind the driver seat is a booster chair, the other one is just a baby seat, according to the 1993 Plymouth Voyager promotional video

·
3rd gen > all others
2,620 Posts
Answered your other thread. Same seats. Vehicle seat belt buckles are steel, while the harness is plastic clips. You can use the regular seat belts, but i wouldn't trust the old plastic clips. If they can be replaced great! Good in a pinch (better than nothing) if that's what you need them for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts