The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5000 Club
5,765 Posts
No headlight relays or fuses on your model year. It is all controlled by microprocessors in the Body Control Module (BCM) and Front Control Module (FCM). You can try resetting them by removing the IOD memory fuse in the fuse box or the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. Have you tried cycling the headlight switch many times? Still out? There is an extended lifetime warranty on 2005/6 Dodge/Chrysler minivan headlight switches: http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Investigation/2005/Dodge/Caravan/Headlight+Switch

BTW - You're on the wrong forum. Should be on the 4th generation 2001-2007 forum but we're easy. A moderator will probably move you over there pronto.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,123 Posts
If the headlight switch isn't the problem, don't panic.

Try replacing BOTH headlight bulbs.

More than once I have experienced one Halogen bulb blowing out the other side, on failure.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
If the headlight switch isn't the problem, don't panic.

Try replacing BOTH headlight bulbs.

More than once I have experienced one Halogen bulb blowing out the other side, on failure.
In 60+ years of messing with autos that has never happened to me once, halogen or oterwise!

What are the odds?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I had them go within days of each other on my 05. It happens
Hank

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
"More than once I have experienced one Halogen bulb blowing out the other side, on failure."

I'm not exactly sure what this means but assume it means that when one side blew out it caused the other side to go. Not likely in any parallel circuit.

"Days" is not the same as simultaneously, but I've never had that happen either.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2,123 Posts
assume it means that when one side blew out it caused the other side to go.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Dunno why...extra voltage/current applied to the remaining bulb?

It's not worth $20 USD to try a pair of easily-replaceable bulbs?

Like I said initially, see if the headlamp switch recall applies first.

·
5000 Club
5,765 Posts
Both bulbs blown? Easy enough to check with a meter.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
High beams, low beams or both? Failure I experienced recently was one low beam filament burning out. The high beams and the low beam on the other headlight still worked.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My OE headlight bulbs went out within days of each other back when the van was about 4 yrs old with 90,000 miles on it. The set that I replaced it with lasted about as long, with one of the bulbs burning out just last weekend (170,000 miles and 9.5 yrs). I replaced both bulbs, and if I had to venture a guess, the next set will be needed in about 4-5 more years if the rest of the vehicle can make it that far as well.

Nate

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant. Dunno why...extra voltage/current applied to the remaining bulb?

It's not worth $20 USD to try a pair of easily-replaceable bulbs?

Like I said initially, see if the headlamp switch recall applies first.
No, electricity doesn't work like that in parallel circuits. Weird though!

I've never seen a double filament bulb burn both out at the same time let alone two different bulbs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Caravan and Grand Caravan headlight faillure fix?

I'm not too pretty bright like the headlights on my 2005 Grand Caravan when the lights fail, but I've figured out a solution. The problem is most likely corrosion on the main body ground. Where is it you ask....well...disconnect bat tree and remove it. Remove bat tree box. Get that hose out of the way. Remove and clean connection surfaces of body ground. Apply some die electric grease to ground connection surfaces to prevent oxidation and reassemble van. If is works, it's Miller time!! If not, Chrysler has assured NHTSA they will give lifetime warranty on headlight switch and should include installation too. The NHTSA action number is EA11010. Hope some of this helps fix your Caravans. - Erwin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I just finished replacing all four headlights on my 2014 grand caravan. Both headlights, as well both high beam lights went out at the same time. What are the odds???

·
Drivin' Maniac
2,123 Posts
Both headlights, as well both high beam lights went out at the same time. What are the odds???
More common than you would think.

Often, a burned out filament can create a surge that opens up the other filaments in the circuit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As a habit I drive with my headlights on all the time, day or night, for safety. About a month ago we were driving about a hundred miles from home. We stopped for a quick break at a park. It was the middle of August in south Florida so I left the van running to maintain the A/C.

I happened to notice that the parking lights were on but not the headlights. I checked the headlamp switch and cycled it off/on a couple times. Nothing. I worked the dimmer and both high beams came on but neither low beam. Great. Now I am diagnosing the problem in my head and thinking it must be a problem with the FCM or wiring as there no fuses or relays to affect this. I carry spare bulbs in the van but what are the chances that both bulbs have given up at the same time?

We were two hours from home and had about an hour of daylight left. So I decided to drive the remaining distance with the high beams on. I get blinded all the time by the illegally bright lighting some people install so I figure no big deal. We made it home without incident and only one driver in opposing traffic flashed at me.

The next morning I grabbed my 12v test light to do some poking and probing to find out what has failed. I start at the easiest place to access, the left headlamp. To my surprise I've got power at the connector. I plugged a replacement bulb in and it illuminates. I go to the right side, same thing. Turns out I could have fixed the lighting problem in a few minutes the day before if I had bothered to check the unlikely possibility that both bulbs had gone out together.

They may not have gone out simultaneously but they quit within hours of each other. I would have noticed one bulb being out while driving the night before. Bottom line, it is best to check the simplest most common cause of failure even if it is unlikely for things like this to fail together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts