The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

After some 15 years, I finally made it to hopefully upgrade from my old 2005 T&C Signature that I've owned since new.

I found a 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT with about 55K miles, and bought it from a local dealer, but NOT the factory dealer. Again, I'm regretting that, because despite signing, and buying the very likely worthless warranty (which I said I wouldn't do), it now appears they "don't know me". Typical car dealer.

In any case, the deal moved quickly, but per life experience, I did insist on taking the van to the local big dodge dealer and paying for a 2 hour pre-sale vehicle check. Also as per usual, it appears this probably wasn't worth much, as the tech allegedly took the van for a test drive to check things out, but never noticed the muffled but definitely annoying rattlebox noise coming from the rear.

I heard the noise, but as I was rushing between the two dealers, and taking care of my boy , etc. it just didn't register with me enough to make an issue out of it, and I had forgotten about it when we closed the deal. I was then reminded of it again, when I started driving the van a lot more.

The noise sounds to me, very much like the noise my '05 has been making over time whenever the cheap shocks I put in the rear start to wear out. Ironically , my '05 is making this noise again, and so now the 260,000 mile dino van sound just like the "new" 2018 GT when driving slow over anything other than perfectly smooth pavement. :( It's a tap tap that reverbs in tune with every little bump in the road. Driving on the freeway you don't hear it, but when you hit a speed bump at low speed , the noise also seems much louder than it should be.

I have already taken the van back to the dealer I've purchased it from . They have a small service department, and of course couldn't find anything obvious , even though they spent over an hour on it. I'm trying to get to the factory dealer on Monday for a diagnosis, but given the circumstances, I really want to get the lowdown on this new van, the rear suspension, and if anyone might have thoughts on the noise. Any parts wearing out at about 55K miles? This van used to be a rental.

One thing I'm curious about are the shocks on the rear. I know some of the higher end old carvans had some kind of expensive leveling shocks (nivomat?). Wondering what the replacement should be on this van, and relative cost. I'd hate to think I'd be putting those $30 cheap monroe shocks in this new van.

Thanks much for any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
That sound wouldn't be from the internal workings of the shock IMO. That's external like the bolts need to be retightened. Maybe they were replaced already and not tightened up properly.

Also check your seat belts in the rear, as they may be twisted, not cushioned, when bumping against the sides of the van. There's a tab there (for a cushion and stop) and if the latch is on the wrong side of the belt, there will be a cabin noise (no cushioning as latch hits side directly).

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The shocks tend to knock in the upper mounts. It's like there isn't sufficient thickness in the bushing between metal parts. The rear shocks just got a new revision. I should have notes on the differences tomorrow after swapping one out.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
215 Posts
If it is any consolation, I had a rental 2019 GT with 2k miles a couple of days ago and it rattled like mad in the rear. My 2019 SXT is also at 2k miles and never a rattle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Even though the selling "stealer" dont want to know you wouldnt that be covered under a factory warranty been only 12 months old?

·
Registered
190 Posts
It’s most likely the shocks, did they show you the car fax? Your van was most probably a rental with those kind of miles.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It’s most likely the shocks, did they show you the car fax? Your van was most probably a rental with those kind of miles.
Agreed , even a normal rental I dont think would put 55000 miles in one year. Not sure what that one was used for . For me that would have put up the old red flag . These vans do tend to have some rattles , have a 14 and I have had a rattle from somewhere underneath towards the front that has been there since new , gave up after a couple dealer tries and it doesnt seem to bother the wife so 100000 miles later its still there .

·
Registered
83 Posts
The sliding door latches are notorious for rattle sounds on these 5th gens. Can be fixed with electrical tape or spray-on rubber coating

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,063 Posts
Agreed , even a normal rental I dont think would put 55000 miles in one year. Not sure what that one was used for . For me that would have put up the old red flag .
A 2018 was probably first sold in 2017. So this vehicle is probably two years old.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just a quick thought, but check the tire changing tools and jack in the back. I've had three of the 5'th generation, and in two of them, I got rattles from the tools not being stowed securely. I wrap them all in a couple of old towels along with some disposable plastic gloves for the thankfully rare times you have to change a tire these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts