The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace pads & rotors on the front, 2010 Grand Caravan, 4.0 w/ tow package (heavy duty brakes? Not sure, but suspect so.)
There were after-market grooved rotors on the car when I bought it, and I'd like to go to standard rotors, but a good quality one. Also, I prefer a brake pad that sacrifices itself, rather than one that eats up the rotors. Ceramic vs. organic?

So, I would appreciate hearing you all's thoughts on this.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,977 Posts
If you don't mind the dirty wheels, I would go semi-metallic.

Dodge-Chrysler started including Heavy Duty brakes on their minivans late 2012, I believe.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
A fewer months back I replaced Pad/Rotors on all for corners with Advance Auto's Carquest Painted line mated with their Wearever Platinum Professional line pads. Great improvement in bite and stopping power over the stocks I had in the past. No complaints so far. Low dust, no noises, etc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the Wearever Platinum Ceramic Pads and Wearever Platinum Rotors. They are now Warped after 2 years...not impressed at least with the rotors. I just bought Power Stop rotors and pads...trying something new again!

·
Super Moderator
26,653 Posts
Some Shops give lifetime warranties on their pads and rotors. Installation would have to be paid for though. This might be a consideration if you travel a lot and don't have time or don't want to do the work yourself.

If a vehicle has OE, or real good quality aftermarket rotors on it and they have lots of room left for turning them down, this would be a good option. The cost would be about the same as the cheap "white box" rotors that are commonly used, but would have higher chromium content.

White Box Rotors: these are the cheapest ones to use ordinarily. They tend to rust, even overnight, but if used daily, will last a long time. I have used a lot of these but won't be doing so for my 2016. I have seen them perform better and outlast the OE rotors on a 2004 Acura (Honda). Don't expect much and they will likely exceed your expectations.
Higher Chromium Content Rotors: less prone to rusting, more expensive, and the more commonly sold ones at a local NAPA store, so they told me.
Coated Rotors: these are the more expensive rotors and are more resistant to corrosion from road salt. http://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-are-coated-brake-rotors/

As for pads, maybe try something equivalent to OE. There are white box semi-metallic pads that work ok. I have used lots of them. Some people, that are hard on their brakes, may find the cheaper semi-metallic pads squealing on them. You get what you pay for. Semi-metallic pads tend to be more effective at slowing the vehicle down than ceramics, but they wear quicker and give off a noticeable black dust.

This web site has the pros and cons of "organic", "semi-metallic" and "ceramic" PLUS some "good", "better" and "best" pads to compare: https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/the-best-brake-pads-ceramic-or-metallic.aspx Interesting reading, so many choices. Anyone have experience with Wagner brake pads?

Hope this helps. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I used the Wearever Platinum Ceramic Pads and Wearever Platinum Rotors. They are now Warped after 2 years...not impressed at least with the rotors. I just bought Power Stop rotors and pads...trying something new again!
The power stop rotors and pads are nothing special. I had them a couple years ago. Pads dusted horribly and didn't last long at all. Rotors looked like STD white box variety. The got minor pulsation within 5-10k miles but never got any worse. I decided to retire then after around 65-70k miles. I have gotten much better service from Centric premium pads and rotors. The pads especially last much longer and the rotors are staying smooth even after our vacation towing thru mountains.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and ceramic pads. The Ultra's are thicker and heavier, last longer, cost more but not an arm and a leg. Ceramic pads have good feel and leave very little dust.

·
Super Moderator
26,653 Posts
NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and ceramic pads. The Ultra's are thicker and heavier, last longer, cost more but not an arm and a leg. Ceramic pads have good feel and leave very little dust.
"Onyx Guard Protectant Prevents Rust & Corrosion On The Rotor's Hat & Vanes & Improves The Vehicle's Appearance" sounds good too.

Who makes the NAPA pads?

·
Super Moderator
26,653 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
"Onyx Guard Protectant Prevents Rust & Corrosion On The Rotor's Hat & Vanes & Improves The Vehicle's Appearance" sounds good too.

Who makes the NAPA pads?
I don't know. I've always had good service from them though.
The T&C is my wife's and she comes down the steep mile-plus long hill into our town from work five days a week without downshifting because "It might hurt the transmission". The NAPA Ultra rotors and ceramic pads are the only ones she hasn't been able to kill in a year in any car she's owned. Probably glowing like a NASCAR short track car's brakes by the time she gets to the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
26,653 Posts
Happy Birthday JohnnyO :birthday:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts