The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Les here. I have a question about the front brakes on my 2008 Money pit. I have inspected the pads and they are worn down prematuerly but fine. And no I don't ride or mash the brakes. After driving in commuter traffic, brake brake, honk honk, they make a grinding noise when stopping. But not always. Never had this issue with any other vehicles. Whats up with that?

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
Grinding noise, after sitting overnight, is rotor rust being removed by the pads. Otherwise grinding would be something to do with hard spots on the pads or a damaged rotor surface, both unlikely. In my experience, grinding is due to sitting, nothing else.

I have used a lot of White Box pads and rotors over the years. Rotor problems consist of rust formation near the center on the inner face, surface delamination in spots, and rust around the outer edges. No brake squeal problems that I can remember.

Pads, semi or ceramic?
Pads: White box or brand name?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
Rusty on rotors, warped rotors, a lip on the edges of the pad seating area on the rotor, binding guide pins, sticking caliper, cheap pads, and uneven ABS engagement are all possibilities. Won't know until you check and rule them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts