The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2015 T&C started smoking and would keep stalling out. Mechanic found the front bank with good compression. However on the rear bank when he pulled the valve cover he found a broken rocker arm that caused damage to the cam. He will not repair this as he states that there are metal shavings circulating through the motor and he would not guarantee the repair. I will get a second opinion as I am having the vehicle towed back to our house. Does anyone have any input on this situation. Should I think about replacing the motor. I still owe $9000 on the vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would get another opinion. That issue is usually repairable. But not cheap to fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. Would you recommend going to Chrysler to have this repaired?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't.

Find a good local mechanic. Chrysler is very expensive.
I also have a 2015 Ram 2500 with a Cummins Diesel. I had always had the dealer perform the oil changes and the fuel filter changes. The last time, I bought all of the filters and oil and had a mechanic friend do the work. The parts alone were $40 more than what the dealer had been charging me. So much for the experiment. I've been real happy with my dealer.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
I also have a 2015 Ram 2500 with a Cummins Diesel. I had always had the dealer perform the oil changes and the fuel filter changes. The last time, I bought all of the filters and oil and had a mechanic friend do the work. The parts alone were $40 more than what the dealer had been charging me. So much for the experiment. I've been real happy with my dealer.

That doesn't really means nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our 2015 T&C started smoking and would keep stalling out. Mechanic found the front bank with good compression. However on the rear bank when he pulled the valve cover he found a broken rocker arm that caused damage to the cam. He will not repair this as he states that there are metal shavings circulating through the motor and he would not guarantee the repair. I will get a second opinion as I am having the vehicle towed back to our house. Does anyone have any input on this situation. Should I think about replacing the motor. I still owe $9000 on the vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
How many miles on it? Regarding what you owe I would have to repair it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get a price from the dealer. Cant hurt. If you decide on a used engine, it might make sense to replace all the rockers. This is becoming a common problem , on the 3.6 motors. I had to do all of mine at about 100,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts