The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country with 2 Stow&Go 2nd row captain's chairs. The floor panels in front of each second row chair have a plastic pull-ring latch that tugs on a cable release, which opens the false floor to let you fold the seat down into the floor.

These plastic pull-rings get trampled on by everyone's feet and pulled on to open the heavy floor panels, and every one I know with this model van has at least one plastic pull ring broken. (Both of mine are now broken so I must pry the floor up with a screwdriver to fold the seats away).

Does anyone know of a source to buy a replacement pull-ring latch for the 2nd row stow and go seat floor panels? The dealer wants to charge me $250 each for a new floor panel which is absurd considering it's just a little plastic piece that's broken on it. The screwdriver method works for me but my wife or kids don't have the strength to open when I'm not around. Anyone find a source, have a part number or come up with something better than a screwdriver prybar fix?

Thanks much.

Love the van other than this one plastic part which should have been designed much more ruggedly since it gets used often... :jpshakehe

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine the day before yesterday, so haven't had time to become fully familiar with the parts you are talking about (but I have used it). My first thought was to use a keychain ring if you can thread it through the end of the cable in place of the plastic ring. Another thought was to thread some thin nylon rip cord and tie it into a loop. Not sure without looking if either one will work. If not, I'll try again tomorrow after I've had a chance to look at it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I went out and took the latch apart tonight - I had thought the "D" shaped plastic pull ring was pulling on a cable release when you lift the ring. Turns out it has the release latch directly under the pull ring so, as you lift the pull ring it's prying open the latch directly under it which releases the floor lid. Then you continue to use the pull ring as a handle to lift the floor until you can get your fingers under it. THis is what causes the cheap plastic to break - lifting the weight of the carpeted floor panel. Hard to describe - but anyway, it looks like this is a specialized piece of plastic and don't think I'll be able to rig something. The good news is there was a part number (1083800 AA) on the inside of the latch that I can now research... Here is a link to a page with a few pics of the broken latch -

http://home.comcast.net/~ida33/pwpimages/Minivan.mht

Thanks again if anyone has a source to buy these latches. Local dealer wants to sell me a whole floor door panel. As you can see, the latch comes off easily with 2 screws. :blink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the ticket... Although it looks like you can't buy just the pull ring (the piece that always breaks) you can buy the latch that comes with a new pull ring for a lot less than a new floor panel.

Thanks all for the replies...

Load floor cover latch (mounts in the floor panel to unlatch the Stow ‘n Go fold flat storage area) Mopar part numbers:

1CB79ZJ8AA - for vans with Khaki (brown/beige) two tone interior (interior color code –J1 or –J3)
1CB79XDHAA - for vans with Medium slate grey interior (interior color code –D5)

Fits both passenger and driver’s side fold-flat floor lids, so order two of the proper color latches if you need to replace both sides like me.

Most dealer’s sell them for about $35 each but I'm told they rarely have them in stock. (My dealer couldn't even find the part number for them).

Best prices found online for new latches (as of Jan 30, 2012) are:
$22.95 http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=549516&ukey_product=4506961

$23.28 http://onestopoem.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5355

Please note: These links are for the Grey latch which is what I need… you’ll want to search on their sites for the other part number if you need beige. Both places I’ve listed have both colors in stock – same price.

Here are some links to some nice parts lists and resources found during this search…
• List of all interior trims, color codes, sales codes, etc – describes what all the little 2 and 3 digit codes mean on your van’s sticker.
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/reference_docs/salescode.pdf

• Illustrated parts breakdown with part numbers for the fold flat seating (stow ‘n go) components.
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=549516&ukey_product=4506961

Ordering mine tonight - hope to have my favorite screw driver back in the garage by the end of the week instead of leaving it in the van as a floor pry bar. :biggrin:

·
fix it if you can
4,850 Posts
assuming you have a van that was built in Windsor [Canada] - first digit of VIN is 2

this is all that's listed...

Code:
3        05137725AA        1 *O0    STRAP, Goes From One Latch to
the Other Latch

4        05175952AA        1 *O0    CUP, Latch Backing Cup

5        LATCH, Load Floor Cover, VelcroCovered
1CY07XDHAA                1 *O0        [D5]
1CY07ZJ8AA                 1 *O0        [J1]

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have found that factorymoparparts.com is also a good source for oem parts at below dealer pricing.

So far, our 05 with the Stow and Go has not had this issue but we do not use the option more than 2-3 times a year.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Atoman for the part number list for the Windsor built vans. Mine is St Louis built so the part numbers I had included earlier in the thread (and again here below for others to reference) are correct for my particular van, but others may benefit from the Windsor part number list Atoman provided above. You'll note from the part description in Atoman's reply that the Windsor built fold flat (Stow 'n Go) floor latches are velcro covered. Mine aren't (see pic below). If anyone isn't sure where their van was built, your VIN number has that information (and a lot more) inside it that you can decode using the first page of the parts manual at the following link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59732236/Dodge-Grand-Caravan-Parts-List-05RS (Don't let the title of the document fool you, the parts list is also for '05 Chrysler Town and Country and it has part #s for both US and Canadian built - worth downloading if you own an '05.)

Below is a cut/paste excerpt of the parts list for the St Louis built Town and Country, similar to the list Atoman was kind enough to paste above for Windsor, Canada built vans. Choose the correct part numbers for your particular van based on where it was built and color of the interior (-D5 Gray or -J1/J3 Beige-Khacki)

Load floor cover latch.jpg
Click to enlarge :Wow1:

Anyway, I've solved my problem with part # 1CB79XDHAA (slate gray latch) and hope the thread info helps others. Thanks again.:thumb:

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
Both mine are intact and I used them weekly if not more.
Good to know of a repair if needed though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just at the dealer today for this very thing. They told me it'll cost $100 to replace the latch ($50 parts/$50 labor). I have the latch that broke off and might try to glue it with some super strong glue but I doubt this will hold for very long, but maybe worth a try for that price. I see from the other posts that I can order it for $25-$35 which I'm thinking about but my husband won't know how to install it. Has anyone done it? Is it difficult? Are there any instructions online on how to do this? Thanks, Amy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
AmyK - based on the above posts, I would suspect that you can do it without your husband's help. It would appear that all you need is a standard Philips head screwdriver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts