The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 2005 Grand Caravan SXT is reading way off on the DTE fuel reading on EVIC. When I fill the tank, the DTE reading is around 248 miles or so. This is way low, and should be much higher around 300-320. I'm wondering if there is a menu on the Chrysler Star Scan, or aftermarket scan tool where this can be calibrated in any way. Just interested because it is very inaccurate. Thanks for any info. Bill

·
Super Moderator
28,482 Posts
You can try the instrument cluster test feature per this link:

Reactions: sirsy2001

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,232 Posts
Your DTE is based on your most recent avg mpg.
Correct.
If I go around an anti-clockwise curve, my DTE increases! Boy, that was easy. 😇

Just like the overall MPG display which has been optimistic in every car I've owned over several makes, you need to learn to live with it.

PS: do you reset your MPG readout after filling up?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct.
If I go around an anti-clockwise curve, my DTE increases! Boy, that was easy. 😇

Just like the overall MPG display which has been optimistic in every car I've owned over several makes, you need to learn to live with it.

PS: do you reset your MPG readout after filling up?
I'll start doing that. Maybe resetting it will make it more accurate over time.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
162 Posts
In winter I try to avoid going below 1/3 tank. You never know when you might get stuck in a blizzard and need to run the engine part time to avoid freezing.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
sirsy, DTE is not based on a long term average. If so, it would be useless. It is really based on what is happening right now, and will change based on traffic conditions.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sirsy, DTE is not based on a long term average. If so, it would be useless. It is really based on what is happening right now, and will change based on traffic conditions.
True. When I top the tank off and then calculate my fill up, I typically will get in the vicinity of 17 mpg, depending on the type of driving. I don't go far. So, once done, the DTE reading will show somewhere around 250 miles (to empty). I know that I can go up to and sometimes over 300 miles on the 20 gallon tank. I don't do it often, but I've tested it before. It is not good for the fuel pump I know. The DTE readout shows way too low. By design, or is there is something that can bring it closer into calibration? It may just be a gimmick that is not really expected to be too accurate, which is probably the case. Not a big deal, but curious if anybody else gets higher DTE readings that are more realistic.

·
Super Moderator
28,482 Posts
Have you done the instrument cluster calibration yet? My 2007 DGC started acting up years back, couldn't depend on the overhead computer anymore. I did the instrument cluster calibration and problem solved. Coincidence or what, I don't know, but worth a try.
As for accuracy, the computer is off by about 7% on fuel consumption. Last three vans have been the same.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
162 Posts
The factory trip computer is not accurate. I never look at mine. You can buy a ScanGauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts