The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town And Country Touring L Stock Push Button Start and Keyless Entry
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country and I had two keys but I have misplaced one of them so I was going through my bin of old car keys and found an older Mercedes’ key that has the same key shape at the top as the minivan key so I was wondering could I program the Mercedes key to the car?

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts
No. Once a key is programmed for one vehicle it cannot be reprogrammed for another.

Reactions: Kira

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited
299 Posts
That is not strictly true - it depends on the protocol used by the specific key.
Some keys are just a transponder - they send out a serial number in response to a request by the car - if the serial number returned by the key matches the serial number stored in the cars memory than the car will start.
That kind of system multiple cars can be started by one key.

In another scheme the Key stores data about the car - so the key must be happy it’s in the right car and then it provides its details to the car. ( some similar two way scheme)

I do not know what the system is implemented in the Chrysler so it is possible that you cannnot have 1 key for two cars but it’s not a universal truth.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts
That is not strictly true - it depends on the protocol used by the specific key.
Some keys are just a transponder - they send out a serial number in response to a request by the car - if the serial number returned by the key matches the serial number stored in the cars memory than the car will start.
That kind of system multiple cars can be started by one key.

In another scheme the Key stores data about the car - so the key must be happy it’s in the right car and then it provides its details to the car. ( some similar two way scheme)

I do not know what the system is implemented in the Chrysler so it is possible that you cannnot have 1 key for two cars but it’s not a universal truth.
Well it is true for a 5th generation Chrysler minivan, which is what the OP is asking about.

Reactions: Kira and Saabman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts