The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the passenger side of a 2009 with the 4 speed. I would really prefer to not touch strut bolts or lower ball joint. I've heard conflicting info on whether it will fit out or not by just undoing the tie rod. Anybody know?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,421 Posts
Try this, you may or may not have any luck with it, I did a similar technique with a 2013 vw jetta with plentiful success.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
123 Posts
I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to take it out with just the tie rod unbolted but it’s gonna be a tight squeeze. Personally I wouldn’t recommend it since getting a new one back in could damage it with all the maneuvering. You will be able to take it out by just removing the strut bolts, no need for the lower ball joint to be removed.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
Messing with the strut bolts may alter your alignment. Do it from the ball joint.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to take it out with just the tie rod unbolted but it’s gonna be a tight squeeze. Personally I wouldn’t recommend it since getting a new one back in could damage it with all the maneuvering. You will be able to take it out by just removing the strut bolts, no need for the lower ball joint to be removed.

This is the info I was looking for. I don't want to mess with the strut bolts because the last alignment I had done they installed camber bolts there. I shall try and see.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Messing with the strut bolts may alter your alignment. Do it from the ball joint.
Fully concur with Sienile. Removing the ball joint pinch bolt and lowering the control arm is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: Mtfix20 and Sienile

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
This is the info I was looking for. I don't want to mess with the strut bolts because the last alignment I had done they installed camber bolts there. I shall try and see.
Definitely don't touch that then. Getting the alignments right on these can be a real hassle. Took me a year and 3 shops before I got mine right. After that I started working at a shop that did alignments and did my own. Took over an hour to get it right and it wasn't far off to begin with.

Reactions: User6573

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
123 Posts
Good to know that removing the pinch bolt for the lower control arm ball joint doesn’t mess with the alignment. For some reason I thought it would mess up the alignment since now everything can move about.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Should be able to measure, outline the strut/steering knuckle relationship accurately enough to allow removal of the camber bolt. I have replaced struts by marking off/measuring locations before and didn't need an alignment afterward.

You are just dealing with camber and tire wear will let you know if something is off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts