The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,324 Posts
That is a later model. Gracenote was 2018+, I believe.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,297 Posts
I'm not sure about export models, but the Canbus in all U.S. 5th generation vans is high speed.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Administrator
2,297 Posts
Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited
254 Posts
My 2009 with the REN head unit has the Gracenotes database.
Yea my 2008 REZ has grace notes as well - doesn't work very well but it has it.

As for buss speed my memory is a little foggy but in the playing I have done with it I seem to recall there was a change in buss speed. I don't believe there is anything on the head unit that would indicate the speed. I'm on my way to work ATM I'll try and check my notes later if no one else can offer a definitive answer in the meantime.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea my 2008 REZ has grace notes as well - doesn't work very well but it has it.

As for buss speed my memory is a little foggy but in the playing I have done with it I seem to recall there was a change in buss speed. I don't believe there is anything on the head unit that would indicate the speed. I'm on my way to work ATM I'll try and check my notes later if no one else can offer a definitive answer in the meantime.
I guys this is a continuation from the Dead Radio Post, I seem to remember somewhere on the forum that Hi speed canbus radios (720/430) would work on both hi and low speed canbus but low speed would only work on low speed which I guess makes sense.
The guy who I sent the radio too replied saying the radio was tested on a low speed canbus emulator, although one I saw on ebay which was exactly the same part number etc (sold now grr) was advertised as Hi speed. Also there are a lot more Hi speed available. So if Hi speeds run on either I could maybe use one?
Gracenotes? don't get me confused now Im a simple soul Ha Ha

·
Administrator
2,297 Posts
..As for buss speed my memory is a little foggy but in the playing I have done with it I seem to recall there was a change in buss speed...
The 5th generation vans were all high speed CAN bus, but some other Chrysler vehicles changed CAN bus speed during their run.

The image below (from LOCKPICK install instructions) shows which vehicles have low speed and high speed buses:

Font Parallel Magenta Number Circle

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Sienile

·
Administrator
2,297 Posts
...I seem to remember somewhere on the forum that Hi speed canbus radios (720/430) would work on both hi and low speed canbus but low speed would only work on low speed which I guess makes sense...
The high and low speed buses are not compatible with each other.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Sienile

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys
Thanks very much for sorting this out for me, I REALLY appreciate all your help. Still considering whether to go with an original unit (with the problems) or go for a new unit Decisions Decisions Ha Ha :):):):)

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
Hi Guys
Thanks very much for sorting this out for me, I REALLY appreciate all your help. Still considering whether to go with an original unit (with the problems) or go for a new unit Decisions Decisions Ha Ha :):):):)
You can only really tell if it's a HIGH speed radio by the part number or what vehicle it came out of I believe.

Grand Cherokee radios would work: 2011-2013 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee Factory Radio Overview

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can only really tell if it's a HIGH speed radio by the part number or what vehicle it came out of I believe.

Grand Cherokee radios would work: 2011-2013 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee Factory Radio Overview
Hi UN$GTBL
That's a lot of information but great to have it I do note that the codes are very similar to what was in my UK spec vehicle the first 4 number 5064 and last letters AC match so wonder if the last three 742 numbers in my case in the jeep info 820 could they be different for different sales areas US Canada Mexico Europe?
I did look on line to see if there was a similar post for Chrysler but no joy so far.
I think the information in the link is very interesting with regards to different Radios fitted and what they do and might be a great help to many T&C owners
In my case I will wait a few months and try to track down the same radio that was in the car. Unfortunately there was the same radio on ebay but it sold while I was waiting to get the reply from the repair guys at Revive in the UK. Not their fault but I did not want to buy a radio when I hoped to get my one back. The great thing is that I at least I know that the problem was in the radio and not the car system. if I cant get the same one will put in a replacement JVC or Pioneer probably.
Thanks again gives me anther option :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi 97K15004WDMore really interesting information, I am going to suggest using georgef's info above that the low speed radios would be used on the Jeep Dodge Chrysler products on the left side of the list under Low and the later products including minivans were high speed.

The repair firm in the UK however said they used a low speed can emulator which did get it working but it kept dropping out and then the found the firmwire has a fault so?
As I mentioned will try to get the a replacement with the correct part number they are out there :unsure:
Thanks again

·
Administrator
2,297 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,551 Posts
Just ask the seller what vehicle it came from and what year. Then a quick look at geogef's post will tell you exactly what speed it is.

Radio codes do not say if it's a high speed or a low speed, several models of the Chrysler lineup have the same radio code on both can systems, an example is a 2013 caravan high speed RBZ vs a 2013 Chrysler 200 RBZ which is actually a low speed.

Also, several of you have now said that early 5'th gen vans have the low speed can system. Where's your proof, if we are missing information here many more of us would like to know! My REN radio that use to be in my caravan came from a van that was made in November of 2007 and it had no issues at all in my 2009 caravan.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
MyGIG radios run on two different Bus systems, a low-speed computer Bus system (CAN-B) and a high-speed computer Bus system (CAN-C). MyGIG radios designed for a high-speed electrical bus will not work on a vehicle with a low-speed bus, and vice versa.

In 2010 HB didn't make many changes to the main board, just firmware updates. In 2011 HB started to slowly phase out the RER platform only releasing minimal quantities made for high speed CAN-C vehicles & the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

In 2010 HB didn't make many changes to the main board, just firmware updates. In 2011 HB started to slowly phase out the REW platform only releasing minimal quantities made for high speed CAN-C vehicles & the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

So based on this, the radios themselves become the issue even though they may be the same "model", it depends on which vehicle it comes from. I've read so many different articles over the years on the bus speeds on the RT platform - I will check the factory manual and confirm if the speeds are the same.

Here's the factory manual info regarding a 2008 T&C versus a 2013 T&C (direct quote):

2008 Chrysler Town & Country
DESCRIPTION
The primary on-board communication network between microprocessor-based electronic control modules in this vehicle is the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus system. A data bus network minimizes redundant wiring connections; and, at the same time, reduces wire harness complexity, sensor current loads and controller hardware by allowing each sensing device to be connected to only one module (also referred to as a node). Each node reads, then broadcasts its sensor data over the bus for use by all other nodes requiring that data. Each node ignores the messages on the bus that it cannot use.

The CAN bus is a two-wire multiplex system. Multiplexing is any system that enables the transmission of multiple messages over a single channel or circuit. The CAN bus is used for communication between most vehicle nodes. However, in addition to the CAN bus network, certain nodes may also be equipped with a Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus. The LIN data bus is a single wire low-speed (9.6 Kbps) serial link bus used to provide direct communication between a LIN master module and certain switch or sensor inputs.

There are actually three separate CAN bus systems used in the vehicle. They are designated: the CAN-Interior (also known as CAN Interior High Speed/IHS), the CAN-C and the Diagnostic CAN-C. The CAN-Interior and CAN-C systems provide on-board communication between all nodes in the vehicle. The CAN-C is the faster of the two systems providing near real-time communication (500 Kbps). The CAN-C is used typically for communications between more critical nodes, while the slower (125 Kbps) CAN-Interior system is used for communications between less critical nodes.

The added speed of the CAN data bus is many times faster than previous data bus systems. This added speed facilitates the addition of more electronic control modules or nodes and the incorporation of many new electrical and electronic features in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic CAN-C bus is also capable of 500 Kbps communication, and is sometimes informally referred to as the CAN-D system to differentiate it from the other high speed CAN-C bus. The Diagnostic CAN-C is used exclusively for the transmission of diagnostic information between the Totally Integrated Power Module/Central GateWay (TIPM or TIPMCGW) and a diagnostic scan tool connected to the industry-standard 16-way Data Link Connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel on the driver side of the vehicle.

The TIPM is located in the engine compartment near the battery. The central CAN gateway or hub module integral to the TIPM is connected to all three CAN buses. This gateway physically and electrically isolates the CAN buses from each other and coordinates the bi-directional transfer of messages between them.

2013 Chrysler Town & Country
DESCRIPTION
The primary on-board communication network between microcontroller-based electronic control modules in this vehicle is the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus system. A data bus network minimizes redundant wiring connections; and, at the same time, reduces wire harness complexity, sensor current loads and controller hardware by allowing each sensing device to be connected to only one module (also referred to as a node). Each node reads, then broadcasts its sensor data over the bus for use by all other nodes requiring that data. Each node ignores the messages on the bus that it cannot use.

The CAN bus is a two-wire multiplex system. Multiplexing is any system that enables the transmission of multiple messages over a single channel or circuit. The CAN bus is used for communication between most vehicle nodes. However, in addition to the CAN bus network, certain nodes may also be equipped with a Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus. The LIN data bus is a single wire low-speed (9.6 Kbps) serial link bus used to provide direct communication between a LIN master module and certain switch or sensor inputs.

There are actually three separate CAN bus systems used in the vehicle. They are designated: the CAN-Interior (also known as CAN Interior High Speed/IHS), the CAN-C and the Diagnostic CAN-C. The CAN-Interior and CAN-C systems provide on-board communication between all nodes in the vehicle. The CAN-C is the faster of the two systems providing near real-time communication (500 Kbps). The CAN-C is used typically for communications between more critical nodes, while the slower (125 Kbps) CAN-Interior system is used for communications between less critical nodes.

The added speed of the CAN data bus is many times faster than previous data bus systems. This added speed facilitates the addition of more electronic control modules or nodes and the incorporation of many new electrical and electronic features in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic CAN-C bus is also capable of 500 Kbps communication, and is sometimes informally referred to as the CAN-D system to differentiate it from the other high speed CAN-C bus. The Diagnostic CAN-C is used exclusively for the transmission of diagnostic information between the Totally Integrated Power Module/Central GateWay (TIPM or TIPMCGW) and a diagnostic scan tool connected to the industry-standard 16-way Data Link Connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel on the driver side of the vehicle.

The TIPM is located in the engine compartment near the battery. The central CAN gateway or hub module integral to the TIPM is connected to all three CAN buses. This gateway physically and electrically isolates the CAN buses from each other and coordinates the bi-directional transfer of messages between them.

So, georgef is correct and I am wrong according to the factory repair manual. There is no difference between the description of the CAN Bus system for the MY2008 versus the MY2013. All RT 5th gens must have the same CAN Bus system speed, at least for the years I looked at (MY2008 through MY2013). Therefore, one could surmise there was no low speed CAN Bus used on the MY2008 - MY2010 models and only a high speed CAN Bus radio will work with the RT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Michaib and all others,
Thanks everyone again for the information, I did not mean to cause such an in depth discussion on Mygig radios however I found the information interesting, even if some of it is a bit over my head (like Algebra when I was in school)
Like you I thought I had read about some vans having low can bus so good to have it finally put to bed,
I am sure all the information will be of great use to others in the future.
Thanks All :geek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts