The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here. I have a 2002 t&c.

The battery was disconnected a few weeks ago and I've been trying to clear the p1684 code since. It's been driven quite a bit including on the freeway. Also I read that 50 starts should clear it but it's not working. I've started it like 100 times now and the code still shows up when I do the 3 key turns test thing.

Anybody any ideas coz Google is not helping!

Thank you!

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
Hi. I'm new here. I have a 2002 t&c.

The battery was disconnected a few weeks ago and I've been trying to clear the p1684 code since. It's been driven quite a bit including on the freeway. Also I read that 50 starts should clear it but it's not working. I've started it like 100 times now and the code still shows up when I do the 3 key turns test thing.

Anybody any ideas coz Google is not helping!

Thank you!
P1684 (battery disconnect within last 50 starts) A code reader or scanner will erase it. It should stay off after.

Nothing to worry about in the meantime.

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts
It's not going to turn on your check engine light. Don't give it a second thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The check engine light is on at the moment and there are other codes. We plan to try and fix the issues then clear all the codes. I think the p1684 will then start over and I'm worried I won't be able to clear it in time to be ready for emissions testing that's due soon.

·
Super Moderator
27,252 Posts
P1684 has nothing to do with emissions. It indicates a power failure of some sort or a simple battery disconnect. It does not cause a check engine light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are other codes that are causing the check engine light, I know. But I thought having the p1684 makes it not ready for emissions testing? P1684 has been there for 4 weeks or so and its going to start over when we clear the other codes after fixing the other problems. The p1684 is still showing after 50 starts, also the battery is new and the car always starts first time so it's not a weak battery issue. Unless there's something else that's causing it?

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
There are other codes that are causing the check engine light, I know. But I thought having the p1684 makes it not ready for emissions testing? P1684 has been there for 4 weeks or so and its going to start over when we clear the other codes after fixing the other problems. The p1684 is still showing after 50 starts, also the battery is new and the car always starts first time so it's not a weak battery issue. Unless there's something else that's causing it?
Never mind the 50 starts, erase the code with a code reader or a scanner. (Code reader $19.95)
You can erase other codes too with the reader, but they may come back if problems not resolved. P1684 should not return though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same problem. Had a multiple cylinder misfire 1&4 and the 1684 code came up too. I’ve reset the misfires and will be doing a tuneup in 2 days. The 1684 does not clear with a simple scanner/reader. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
if it isn't turning your check engine light on or isn't causing you to fail an emissions test, ignore it

i always have that code, i'm almost certain i've had 50 starts from the last battery disconnect but it always shows up when i do the key dance

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Disconnect the battery and touch the two battery wires together.... wait

fuggedaboutit....

So ah, whats you 'tune up' going to consist of?

sounds like throwing parts at your van and hoping you replace something that may be causing the misfire.

Suggestion: try and find the source of your misfire.

Now, if you have 120,000 mile spark plugs and original ignition wires, then by all means, changing them is long overdue. Use champion sparks called out on the sticker under the hood. Install new spark plugs dry out of the box (don't let the parts guy sell you on any spark plug thread creme) and do not over torque. Use a quality ignition wire and change them one at a time or make a chart as you unplug them (* it is not as straight forward as the three wires in the front)

**big hint: Learn how to remove the wiper cowling, worth the effort and easy.

New PCV, oil change, throttle body cleaning if you're up to it...

Not really like the ole days when a tune up was necessary maintenance (although goodyear, firestone, and the dealership will gladly sell you on 'a tune up') because dad always did them.

Cheers, let us know how it goes, we're here for you buddy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's not going to turn on your check engine light. Don't give it a second thought.
sorry guy but Bull **** on that one sorry guy but it does turn back on I no for a fact mine has twice now it sucks and it's the only code that comes up on mind that is.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,576 Posts
sorry guy but Bull **** on that one sorry guy but it does turn back on I no for a fact mine has twice now it sucks and it's the only code that comes up on mind that is.
Welcome.

Not a very nice first post.

Battery disconnected code is there to let the testing stations know that battery was disconnected recently, more likely to erase a code before testing. I don't believe it can be erased but, as RIP mentioned, this code is on the background and will not turn on a check engine light.

By yhe way, you are replying to an old thread.

·
fix it if you can
5,439 Posts
Battery disconnected code is there to let the testing stations know that battery was disconnected recently
Emissions test stations look for "ready" monitors...
The code is there to let you and/or technician know that the system unexpectedly lost power and likely erased/lost other diagnostic information/codes/freeze frame data.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,576 Posts
Emissions test stations look for "ready" monitors...
The code is there to let you and/or technician know that the system unexpectedly lost power and likely erased/lost other diagnostic information/codes/freeze frame data.
I know they look for "ready", but if it was just for you to know your vehicle lost power, then a CEL would turn on. It doesn't happen unless your vehicle have other problems.

·
Super Moderator
27,252 Posts
Several times, mostly in the Fall of the year, I would get a P0456 and a P1684 code, at the same time, with my 2002 DGC Sport. Neither code made any sense, as after a couple times showing up and the P0456 code cleared, the combo would be gone for another year.
Were they playing head games?

·
fix it if you can
5,439 Posts
I know they look for "ready", but if it was just for you to know your vehicle lost power, then a CEL would turn on. It doesn't happen unless your vehicle have other problems.
You know better than anyone, CEL Is for emissions faults, the rest don't set the light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts