The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys I have a 2001 Town & Country and have replaced the following parts rotors, pads, and front right caliper. Not sure when the system was last bled but I bled it when changing the caliper. The brakes were smoking last week, still had plenty of pad life. Fast forward I bled the entire system or at least tried now I have nothing but aerated fluid coming out of the front left. I'm sure air is getting into the system but can't find where. Next step is a master cylinder, btw I'm using a pneumatic bleeder.
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,144 Posts
Our vans are famous for having rubber brake lines that swell on the INSIDE, preventing the caliper from releasing. I'd replace those first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our vans are famous for having rubber brake lines that swell on the INSIDE, preventing the caliper from releasing. I'd replace those first.
Got it sorted out it was the master cylinder. Fluid hadn't been changed in years. I also just used the hand operated mighty vac , worked a whole lot better. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
3rd gen > all others
3,660 Posts
Rubber lines seldom go bad anymore. The trouble people have with them, is usually a steel bracket that wraps around the hose rusts and swells, choking the hose. Open the bracket up and the problem magically disappears. That was on 3rd gen vans; 4th gens don't have the brackets but use a metal line as part of the hose to help hold the hose away from the tire.

Glad you got it sorted out! I have a mityvac too. I used to gravity bleed because I had to, but vacuum sure speeds up the process. (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts