The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my car been sitting for about a year I had no use for it but now I had the car jump started and it started fine and drives fine. But when I turn off the car and try to start it again it will not start there is no dash lights or anything I need to turn on and off the key maybe 20 times before the key is detected by the car.
I changed the battery to the key fob and I have the same issue.

has anyone had the similar issue or know what it might be?

·
Registered
406 Posts
What is the condition of the vehicle's battery? A good battery should read over 12.4 volts. Anything under 12.0 volts indicates a weak/failing battery.

After sitting for a year, I would suggest checking the battery terminal connections to be certain they are clean and tight. Depending on your climate, the numerous chassis ground points may also need to be cleaned and tightened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the condition of the vehicle's battery? A good battery should read over 12.4 volts. Anything under 12.0 volts indicates a weak/failing battery.

After sitting for a year, I would suggest checking the battery terminal connections to be certain they are clean and tight. Depending on your climate, the numerous chassis ground points may also need to be cleaned and tightened.
Battery is less then 2 years old

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
583 Posts
If the battery has been sitting long times between charges, it is toasted - not holding charge, not supplying enough amps. Get it it tested. I think it is the most likely suspect for your problem. Once the car starts, test teh voltage across the battery posts-- if it is under 13, your alternator is my next suspect.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
348 Posts
Sitting inactive isn’t good for a battery - even if it was purchased only two years ago. Modern car batteries are usually only good for ~3 years even when used regularly.

Like @ggoose suggested, use a digital multimeter (DMM) to see how many volts your two-year old battery is ready to supply. Check it after it has sat idle for awhile. Checking while running will give you a reading higher than 12.4V and checking it immediately after tooling around in your van may give you a false sense of confidence in the battery’s capabilities.

If you don’t have a DMM you can get one on Amazon for less than $15. I suspect you can find one at Harbor Freight for half that.

There are lots of YouTube videos to help you know how to check your battery’s voltage with a DMM - I know ‘cause that’s how I learned to do it.

Let us know what you find out!! 👍

·
Registered
583 Posts
The best way to save or keep a battery long term that is not being used, is to disconnect it and periodically charge it. Or put a auto trickle charger on it- although these can be unreliable, and possible source for damaging (overcharging) the battery too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a chrysler,even if battery is OK chryslers do that mine just shuts off going down road dealer cant find anything wrong, really hard if your 82 traffic behind you no place to pull over get a toyota

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's a chrysler,even if battery is OK chryslers do that mine just shuts off going down road dealer cant find anything wrong, really hard if your 82 traffic behind you no place to pull over get a toyota
No, just because dealer could not find the cause. Check your battery connections, grounds straps, connectors to the TIPM...ignition switch (do you have a bunch of crap hanging on the keychain?).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has had a similar issue. The battery is new, the starter is new. Sometimes when she puts the key it nothing happens. If you put the car through the gears on the shifter and then it will start or it will start in N. Thought it was something with the Neutral Safety Switch but this problem is intermittent. Could the Switch be intermittent or possibly the ignition switch is?

·
Registered
583 Posts
My wife has had a similar issue. The battery is new, the starter is new. Sometimes when she puts the key it nothing happens. If you put the car through the gears on the shifter and then it will start or it will start in N. Thought it was something with the Neutral Safety Switch but this problem is intermittent. Could the Switch be intermittent or possibly the ignition switch is?
One of my cars has a brake pedal switch, that requires the brake pedal to be pressed to start...check and/or replace that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts