The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a problem with a 2013 Grand Caravan. I used my Caravan as a donor car to jump start a weak battery. Unfortunately I mixed up the cables and put the red cable on the neg and black on pos (in the Caravan battery). I attempted to start the car but as expected the other car did not start. I replaced the cables on the Caravan battery and it worked. Then, I wanted to make sure nothing happened to the Caravan's battery so I started the engine and it turned over right away. However, this morning the engine did not start. It cranks but it won't turn over. BTW, I put a new battery. Is there a fuse somewhere working as a "breaker" in case of a short? Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe you fried the fuse or your alternator by sending power up the wrong end
Check the charging system with a voltmeter while revving engine over 2grand
Should be putting out 14.4 volts or so
Check all fuses
Check for anything burnt or black
Make sure the red line is on the positive post with the voltmeter
Keep us posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It (Caravan) started right after I jumped start the other car. Just let it run for a few seconds just to make sure I did not damage the battery. Then the next day the (Caravan) engine cranks but it won't start. Everything electrical works (radio, door, alarm, lights, etc). It just won't start. I'm thinking it blew the fuel pump fuse/relay. It maybe started the first time because of some fuel left in the system, I'm guessing. I'll check the alternator and fuel pump fuses.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
It (Caravan) started right after I jumped start the other car. Just let it run for a few seconds just to make sure I did not damage the battery. Then the next day the (Caravan) engine cranks but it won't start. Everything electrical works (radio, door, alarm, lights, etc). It just won't start. I'm thinking it blew the fuel pump fuse/relay. It maybe started the first time because of some fuel left in the system, I'm guessing. I'll check the alternator and fuel pump fuses.
Don't worry about the alternator, it has nothing to do with your current problem. Alternator is not charging when cranking anyways, good or bad alternator will behave the same when cranking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will start by stating that I am not an expert with these vehicles but if it is cranking and not starting, you can generally divide this into two major categories: No Fuel, or No spark. I doubt it is no spark. If you damaged something in the ignition system or ECU, it would likely be bad instantly and not have started right after the jump. The fuel system on the other hand could have held enough pressure to run for a few seconds after the jump start and then not been able to start the next morning.

For me step 1 would be to confirm the fuel pump is running and that you have pressure. I can't be of too much help on how to do this on a GC, but I suspect others here can.

It can't hurt to check the battery connections as UN4GTBL has suggested, but with a new battery and as long as it seems to crank normally I would suspect that as a low probability.

There are a lot of electronics in modern cars and they are generally pretty rugged, but they sure don't like reverse polarity. This could get ugly, but the fact that it ran just after the jump tells me you didn't fry anything major.

Good Luck.

Dave

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
....Unfortunately I mixed up the cables and put the red cable on the neg and black on pos (in the Caravan battery.....
Can you explain exactly what you did?

If I understand correctly, you "removed" the battery from your van, then used that battery to jump the weak one, is that correct?

If so, don't worry, nothing happened to your battery or vehicle.

As stated before, remove one battery cable and with that cable touch the other battery cable a couple of times, nothing bad can happen, but it might help.

Even if you didn't removed your battery, nothing could happen to your vehicle or battery, if you tried to start the other vehicle with battery cables reversed, it means the other battery was very, very weak or you could not connect the cables due to a lot of sparks when trying. You could fry something on the other vehicle but not on yours.

Let us know how it goes.

if it is cranking and not starting, you can generally divide this into two major categories: No Fuel, or No spark
You can have fuel and spark and still no run.

Bad timing or dirty throttle body can cause a no-start, still have both, fuel and spark.

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
My friends MDX was stalling/not starting this week. Battery and alternator new, bad connection at battery was the problem. Simple fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I did not remove the battery. The Caravan was the "donor" car to jump start the Camaro (weak battery). I reversed the cables in the Caravan. Attempted to start the Camaro but did not start due to reversed cables in the Caravan, I re-positioned the the cables in the Caravan and was able to start the engine (Camaro). Like I said previously I started the engine (Caravan) and let then run for a few seconds. The engine turned over. But since yesterday morning all the engine does is cranking, even with a new brand battery. I checked every single fuse and they are all fine. I'm hoping a relay somewhere is fried (easy fixed). I just don't want to imagine damage done to the ECM. I was hopping for a Powertrain blown fuse like I said, they are all fine.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
TIPM have been troublesome in some cases and they fail by having the fuel pump relay fail. I would do a search on how to test and bypass it to see if that gets there van running.

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
My friends MDX was stalling/not starting this week. Battery and alternator new, bad connection at battery was the problem. Simple fix.
A bad connection to my battery caused me a lot of trouble on my Caliber back around Christmas time. New connections fixed it right up and it's been fine ever since. Even had CAA come and get the thing going once as it wouldn't start, despite the connection being tight to the battery posts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Saw a video on YouTube somewhere where someone mixed up the cables on a jumpstart and melted all the wiring coming off the battery all the way down to the starter it was on a caravan also.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
Saw a video on YouTube somewhere where someone mixed up the cables on a jumpstart and melted all the wiring coming off the battery all the way down to the starter it was on a caravan also.
Reversed battery cables when battery jumping will not burn those wires, it might fry electronics but not those wires.

·
fix it if you can
5,495 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

I did not remove the battery. The Caravan was the "donor" car to jump start the Camaro (weak battery). I reversed the cables in the Caravan. Attempted to start the Camaro but did not start due to reversed cables in the Caravan, I re-positioned the the cables in the Caravan and was able to start the engine (Camaro). Like I said previously I started the engine (Caravan) and let then run for a few seconds. The engine turned over. But since yesterday morning all the engine does is cranking, even with a new brand battery. I checked every single fuse and they are all fine. I'm hoping a relay somewhere is fried (easy fixed). I just don't want to imagine damage done to the ECM. I was hopping for a Powertrain blown fuse like I said, they are all fine.
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (or as LEVY says touch the pos. cable to ground while it's disconnected).
It could just be controller memory corruption due to low voltage when polarity was mixed up...

Is it sending power to ASD and fuel pump relay?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts