The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned many cars… old and new, worked on and brought back to life. I am all about being restorative and keeping that original appeal with a touch of modern here and there. Few have gotten me this excited upon acquisition. Interior is incredible and from what I can tell, no one has sat in the middle or last row.

I stumbled across this 1990 SE at a local car lot for $1,500. She had a few quirks but ultimately is super clean with 140,000k and a new owner to bring her not just back… but back in a cool way.

I will be posted and asking many questions I am sure.

New shocks, struts, rear lift gate lock, tires, wheels, plugs, wires, etc. She smokes a bit but I’ll be posting about that. Auto transmission shifts perfectly (will be posting about a possible manual swap for fun).

From this

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

To This

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice van, Retro cars are going to go up in value. If it smokes out exhuast it must have the 3.0-liter Mitsubishi engine. Very reliable but the valve guides always go bad. I would not waste my money right away unless you really want to keep it at tip top shape. Try ''No Smoke'' you can buy it at autozone and High millage oil non synthetic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed the Mitsu and I suspected Valve Guides. It is something I may want to tackle myself. It’s not my primary vehicle and it would be a great project for my son and I. I have never replaced them before but with time, tools, and my handy Chiltons (and YouTube) I think we can manage. Have you done it before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Indeed the Mitsu and I suspected Valve Guides. It is something I may want to tackle myself. It’s not my primary vehicle and it would be a great project for my son and I. I have never replaced them before but with time, tools, and my handy Chiltons (and YouTube) I think we can manage. Have you done it before?
I have not done it before but I seen some people replace the lifters on YouTube because they were ticking. Its Normal to hear the Mitsubishi engines tick. I am sure as long as you type ''3.0 Mitsubishi value guide replacement'' on YouTube there will be a few videos. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's a 3.0, it's just the guide seals, common on the pre 93 engines.
Same issue the early 3.3/3.8s have despite what people will try to tell you.

I would pull the heads, install new seals, slap new HGs in, torque to 80 ft-lbs, and call it a day. The 3.0 is stout and handles loads of abuse while taking very well to modding. Improper factory torque specs on the head bolts and poor seal design were their only real failings in the early years, mostly sorted by 1993.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts