The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get these gauges working again. Please see image. Display for radio station & temp are working, buttons for radio & atc functions & heated seats not working. Bulbs are OK. Driving me nuts. 03 T&C.
IMG_2120.JPG

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
132 Posts
Well, the displays are VFD (Vacuum Florescent Displays) And how they work is there are 2 glass panels caked together with a vacuum inside. If that vacuum leaks or is not strong enough the display will stop working. The only real way to fix this issue is to replace the display by cutting it out and soldering a whole new one in, which is risky and hard work, and you must find a working one which you then have to remove from the board it's on as well. They are soldered directly onto the circuit board on the radio and the climate control panel, I've seen some on other Chrysler vehicles that are clipped in, if you have it clipped in it just unclip yours and clip in a working one from a donor vehicle. The second option you have is to buy a working radio and a working climate unit, that's the much easier route and might end up being cheaper too if you are inexperienced with soldering. There are plenty of listings on ebay of working units, and you can also go to a junkyard and get those yourself for a lot less money, if it works keep it and if it doesn't you should be able to return it.

Some displays have this "Tab" on the bottom, those are refillable but I haven't seen any yet on any of these climate/radio displays. There have been other people around which heated these displays and got them to work for a little while longer but that may or may not work and also could destroy the circuit board. And even ones with the tab are harder and harder to refill because now the industries use normal displays instead of VFD displays, so the places that do VFD refills are fewer and fewer around.

·
fix it if you can
4,881 Posts
You need to check the BCM backlight driver input on the center console components - it could be a simple wire / connector issue somewhere or might be more complex...
If the instrument cluster backlighting works, most likely something is faulty with center console wiring.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to check the BCM backlight driver input on the center console components - it could be a simple wire / connector issue somewhere or might be more complex...
If the instrument cluster backlighting works, most likely something is faulty with center console wiring.
Instrument cluster is VFD display & works fine. All connections from the bcm & fuse panel are perfect. Just need to find what made these lamps suddenly fail. If you apply 12v they work.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
132 Posts
Hmm, I saw in earlier threads that an 2'nd gen van had the overhead console display fail and stop working, the culprit was a capacitor or something like that. But that would only stop the display. You mentioned the buttons don't work for heated seats, as well as other buttons. I would suggest pull the center radio bezel off, and check the ground wires, not sure about 4'th gen vans but my 09 has grounds right behind where the climate controls are, held in by a nut. I would check all the grounds you can see. I believe these faults have a common issue, I don't believe that so many functions will break completely altogether at once.

·
fix it if you can
4,881 Posts
Instrument cluster is VFD display & works fine. All connections from the bcm & fuse panel are perfect. Just need to find what made these lamps suddenly fail. If you apply 12v they work.
Only the odometer & gear selection (on most) are VFD, the night time backlighting is either incandescent bulbs or electroluminescent panel.
The buttons on the center console only light up when backlighting is activated (with headlamps / markers), so if backlighting on cluster works, BCM is supplying at least part of backlight circuit...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts