The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a center console for my 09 TC the deluxe one triple decker I like to call them. My question is the connection for the 12v reciprocal under the rug somewhere or will I have to create one ? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I am mid way with my installation .When I cut the carpet to mount the bracket low and behold i found the electrical connector it was laying there with a dummy cap. Removed the cap and plugged it in to my base . I will post pictures later .But the connector is indeed already there.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
511 Posts
Well I am mid way with my installation .When I cut the carpet to mount the bracket low and behold i found the electrical connector it was laying there with a dummy cap. Removed the cap and plugged it in to my base . I will post pictures later .But the connector is indeed already there.
I also plan to add the premium center console, take lots of pictures of the process please! (I also plan to add the console to my 09 SE, but I am worried that the metal bracket that holds the console in the floor isn't present in my van) I am also a bit worried about doing the carpet cutting, no going back once it's cut!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll post as many pictures as i can
But for now I can tell you the bracket isn't there you will have to get one if you don't have one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about the mounting holes for the bracket? Glad to hear the connector is (most likely) there. I just bought a Grand Caravan SXT to replace my rusted out TC, and I am going to keep the TC for spare parts, and move many over to the GC, like the center console.

I am worried the wiring harness will be different. I also planned on moving the power liftgate over, but after removing all of the interior trim panels on both vans the DC doesn't appear to have the same harness, no connectors and smaller wire bundle. I didn't expect that.

Would also like to see pictures!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mounting holes for the bracket . You will HAVE to ( carefully ) free hand it because it doesn't even have the dimples to show where they should be. Sorry can't help with the power lift gate Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm guessing no pics b/c you already mounted console and not interested in removing it, even with bracket installed, to take pics. Bummer for me, but no worries.

Thanks for the reply Pgh_AL, appreciate knowing mounting will require some McGyver skills, of which I have a few up my sleeve.

IIRC, the TC had threaded inserts (similar to PEM nuts for wood) for the 4 mounting bolts. Did you just drill & tap the holes for mounting?

Since you were adding the console to a TC, I may find the wiring harness differs for the console as it does for the liftgate, so I will cut a small opening in the carpeting that the console will cover to explore first.

Since I need more info on both vehicles I will buy service manuals for both vehicles to see what I can & cannot migrate.

The TC also has a factory remote start I'd like to migrate, no telling what that will take to do. Hopefully not the radio or uconnect electronics. Unfortunately the uconnect in the '05 has an antiquated BluTooth spec and it's only useful for receiving calls, not placing outgoing calls with modern cell phones. I didn't like the navigation system at all, terrible user interface, not practical IMO.

Anyway, svc manuals would be a good investment for figuring all this out.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I got a new phone my other went kaput all of a sudden. I'm trying to navigate this new one. But if there is ANYTHING you need to know I'm available to you. I got mine all finished . I had a hard time with the power outlet getting it to work. But as of yesterday l got it figured out.

And after one more trip to the pick & pull its all done . And all done right i might add. If there is anything you need help with I'm up for it . I took on another undertaking over the weekend. I added the factory sunshades to the rear side windows. So lemme know if you need something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thx a bunch. I dug into the carpet and was too aggressive with cutting the carpet too wide on the sides,, so I'll have to add about 1/2" to cover the 1/8" gap between the carpet & the console bracket fascia. I'll use some thin metal that will go under the mounting plate and over the carpet. I might get away with 3/8", but probably not less. The space between the console and seats isn't very big so the issue will probably not be noticed. Fortunately the front & rear were cut properly.

Unfortunately there is no connector in my '05 Grand Caravan SXT, so I will have to improvise. Hopefully I can find a wire to tap for the outlets. I'll but a fuse inline and check the circuit I tap to see what fuse might be supplying that line.

How did you handle mounting the plate to the floor? Did you drill & tap the floor? The bolts are either metric or a fine USA pitch. If I have the correct tap that's how I'll mount it. If not I may either spot weld or JB weld nuts to the floor with a clearance hole in the floor.

My TC has some threaded inserts integral to the floor to receive the bolts.

I'm looking for FSMs for both the TC & Caravan. After reading the poor service Tech Authority provided one forum member here I'm reluctant to order from them. I'll get the eManualOnline for $19, and if that isn't enough detail I may spring for the 2006 FSM hardcopies from factoryrepairmanuals.com. They don't have 05, only 06 & 07 for 4th gen, and they're quite pricey at $200.

Given the differences I've discovered between the TC & GC of the same year, jumping 2 years to 07 might not be the best way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts