The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just past 50,000 kms on the original brakes (4 wheel discs) and starting to think obout redoing them. I'm looking for suggestions (brand names etc) for ceramic brake pads. Anyone out there try them? I'm just trying to reduce the amount of brake dust that accumulates on my aluminum wheels. Thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Any of the good "name" products will be good. NAPA branded ceramics are very good also. I've been using them on everything and they're great.
LArry

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about Raybestos Quiet Stop. I plan to do those on my Cadillac when they need it next, and would like to do them on the van as soon as possible due to excessive brake dust from the OE pads. I'll probably live with them for a while longer though. Rears are drums, so they'll last 100,000 miles probably (and no dust!).

·
Registered
192 Posts
03 gcsport I usually use Raybestas brake pads on all of my cars and always had good luck with the product. I know this an old post but did you get the Quit Stop pads yet?
I looked yesterday and could not find a supplier in my area that had a number for Quiet Stop ceramic pads. I have the 4 wheel disc setup that has the Tevis calipers on front and rear. The only pad that they listed for the rear was the PG professional grade pad semi-metallic. The web site does not even list an application in ceramic for the rear of the van. If you bought pads yet and have the box please post the number and I will email Raybestas and check it out.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
No, I have not bought the pads yet. I probably won't for a while. They only have 42k miles on them, and are lasting good so far I guess. When it comes time to replace them, I'm going to do the Quiet Stops.

Typically, Raybestos will have a QS number for anything they make in PG grade, but maybe not for everything. Did you find a QS number for the front brakes?

·
Registered
192 Posts
03 gcsport I looked up the web site again to make sure I was right and they have a foot note that you should use simi-metallac pads only and do not list the QS numbers for the front disc/drum setup or the disc/disc setup. Wagner had a listing but special order only. I guess I will get the PG pads because I have always had good luck with Raybestos products. They are almost $50.00 for the rear alone. The one place that had a listing in another brand for the ceramic pads wanter $74.00 for the rear pads.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
MMAHAMM I took a look at the link you posted they look like they have alot of Mopar parts listed. I did not even thank about factory pads I guess I was afraid they would be out of sight in price. I should of checked with them first I guess. The parts manager at the dealer I go to gives me a break on price. Well next time I will Know. I put the Raybestor pads on this past weekend. I will keep you posted if they put out a lot of dust on the wheels. That is why that I wanted ceramic pads. They claim that they do not put out a lot of dust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the front pads

Was at the dealer getting the snow tires removed and got the parts guys to look up Ceramic pads. They found the part number for the fronts. V3013803 No luck on the rear's yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jeff Canada I also checked it out after I had replaced the rear pads and was told the same as you ,no rear ceramic pads. After about 300 miles on the semi-metalic pads I don't have an excessive amount of brake dust on the rear wheels yet. I hope this is the way it will be. The main purpose for me wanting the ceramic pads was dust buildup. A friend of mine said I should also use simi-metalic pads on the front and keep brake pad compound the same for the best ABS performance. I don't know if this is fact or fiction but it sounds like it makes sense. This same guy installed ceramic pads all around on a Mustang Cobra and said that the ABS system did not work the same after the change over. He was the only one I ever heard complain about this problem. Chrysler and Raybestos and a couple other brake companies I checked did not have listings for rear pads either. If anyone has tried ceramic front and rear how did it work out .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts