The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, just yesterday, I purchased a 2010 T&C from a Chrysler dealership. Clean CarFax, good test drive, certified used. 10 miles after purchase, we felt like we were rear-ended - there was no one behind us though; the transmission just clunked loud and heavily.

50 miles from purchase the engine light came on. We returned it to the dealer today, and they could not fix the issue and the code was something along the lines of transmission shifting issue.

Question: can I return this vehicle for a full money back refund? I do not have a good feeling about this vehicle, and would never have drove a van off the lot that had known transmission issues. What can I do?

What I want to do is return it for a refund and take my business elsewhere. I have not seen in writing that I can return it or have X amount of business days to do so. Please share any advice, regulations, or insights.

33k miles
Michigan
4.0 2010 T&C touring

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll ask the obvious. Did you test drive this and or have a mechanic check it out prior to purchase?
Purchasing a used vehicle is buyer beware. I don't see you having a leg to stand on unless the dealership steps up. But this is unlikely. I feel you're pain and hope it all works out.
Did you purchase a used car warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did test drive it. There were no issues. I did not have a mechanic check it out - I thought that's what the 125 point inspection of "certified pre owned" was for. I passed on the warranty :-( But it is still bumper-to-bumper for 3k miles. And power train for 70k(?)

Can a Chrysler mechanic chime in and say whether this would be covered for the power train warranty? It sounds like tranny, but what if they qualify it as part of the electronics system or something??

·
Registered
864 Posts
If it is shifting rough or throwing a check engine light I would think that it would be covered under warranty. Even the factory warranty should still be in effect. I would bring it back in asap and not give up untill it is fixed properly.
Hank

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts
Return it for refund? Depends on your state laws. They vary from state to state.

125 point inspection.I can't imagine having that much trust in a dealership selling you a car. I give it little credence. Bought a CPO'd car from Ralley GMC in Palmdale, CA with a 125 point inspection some years ago. Just walking around the car I found steel cord showing on the left rear tire. The manager, red faced, put two new tires on it. I bought the car. I changed all the fluids in it a few weeks later and found the differential was nearly void of fluid. Inspection - my rear end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being the Motor City - MI has probably the weakest lemon law. I now do not give much credence to the 125 point inspection.
Hankster, yes, it is being fixed under warranty. I would rather walk away from it at this point, but it doesn't sound like that will be an option. I can HOPE to swap vans at a sister-dealer location, but I have extreme doubts they would accommodate that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Certified used is a sham. My Uplander was a retired rental put up for sale, and was certified used. Drove it off the lot with the rear wiper being non functional. I bought the extra warranty, has more than paid for itself, especially considering dealership labor rates and parts prices. Hope you get this resolved, good luck

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I think it is actually better to buy from the rental companies. At least there is a maintenance history.

·
Registered
67 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/about_6610441_michigan-law-used-cars.html

That being said, the factory warranty still applies...saying they cannot fix it is mind boggling to me, how is that even an option? Find another competent dealership and I'm sure it can be fixed or replaced...

If it's been more than 3 years since put in service, it looks like this would apply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

That's assuming you've got a 30 day warranty or something along those lines from the dealership you purchased it from...according to that, they've got a few shots to fix it and then you are entitled to a refund based on that FEDERAL law.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Used car returns vary state to state. But the powertrain and (possible) remaining 36 month/36k mile warranty on that van require that a Chrysler dealership get the engine/transmission working properly. Period. End of discussion. If the mechanics can't fix it, talk to the service managers, and if they don't give you the answer you want (a working van), talk (calmly) to the service director, and the dealership general manager if you have to. A "we don't know what's going on" from the service techs is not acceptable.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Folks, just yesterday, I purchased a 2010 T&C from a Chrysler dealership. Clean CarFax, good test drive, certified used. 10 miles after purchase, we felt like we were rear-ended - there was no one behind us though; the transmission just clunked loud and heavily.

50 miles from purchase the engine light came on. We returned it to the dealer today, and they could not fix the issue and the code was something along the lines of transmission shifting issue.

Question: can I return this vehicle for a full money back refund? I do not have a good feeling about this vehicle, and would never have drove a van off the lot that had known transmission issues. What can I do?

What I want to do is return it for a refund and take my business elsewhere. I have not seen in writing that I can return it or have X amount of business days to do so. Please share any advice, regulations, or insights.

33k miles
Michigan
4.0 2010 T&C touring
Seeing that it only has 33K miles, the warranty should still apply. It's also been my experience in the past, that CPO usually gives the vehicle a 30 warranty, under which all major components are covered. You'd have to look at the details of the CPO contract from that dealer, but regardless, being that you're still within the 3yr/36K miles...ride 'em until it's fixed!

·
Registered
369 Posts
read this: (and follow directions at the bottom)
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1611-23885--,00.html

FWIW, talk to the dealer manager & owner (directly) first - you may be able to resolve this easily if they cooperate...
I've found that lemon laws are written pretty constrictive. If you read that link, you'll see that in MI, as in most states, a lemon law only applies to the original purchaser, and usually only within the first year of service. "The first report of the defect must be made within one year from the date of delivery to the original purchaser or lessee or during the term of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever period is shorter"

·
fix it if you can
4,739 Posts
I've found that lemon laws are written pretty constrictive. If you read that link, you'll see that in MI, as in most states, a lemon law only applies to the original purchaser, and usually only within the first year of service. "The first report of the defect must be made within one year from the date of delivery to the original purchaser or lessee or during the term of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever period is shorter"
you'd need to obtain the full text of the state law to make any type of assertions if it could be applicable, but if all else fails it's not a bad idea to look it over carefully and talk to a contract attorney.. ('original purchaser' could be interpreted as a reference to the buyer directly rather than say a lender..)

That said, I know nothing about MI.. Here in NY, you get a minimum of 3 business days to change your mind regardless of how old the vehicle is or who you purchased it from (provided you can track them down and get them to pay up :) ) One thing for sure, you need to have solid records of all your dealings or you're out of luck!

and if the dealer can't / won't resolve the problems (under warranty) it's never a bad idea to get the regional service rep. or main Chrysler HQ involved..

·
Registered
369 Posts
you'd need to obtain the full text of the state law to make any type of assertions if it could be applicable, but if all else fails it's not a bad idea to look it over carefully and talk to a contract attorney.. ('original purchaser' could be interpreted as a reference to the buyer directly rather than say a lender..)

That said, I know nothing about MI.. Here in NY, you get a minimum of 3 business days to change your mind regardless of how old the vehicle is or who you purchased it from (provided you can track them down and get them to pay up :) ) One thing for sure, you need to have solid records of all your dealings or you're out of luck!

and if the dealer can't / won't resolve the problems (under warranty) it's never a bad idea to get the regional service rep. or main Chrysler HQ involved..
Ohio also has a 3 day cancellation policy, but only for circumstances where you were approached by a salesmen, versus you going to a car dealer and negotiating a purchase. While I agree things like this vary by state, I'm rather certain you'll find that the lemon law is mostly written to protect consumers from a new vehicle purchase, not a used one.

Here's an article discussing such matters. http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/my-used-cars-a-lemon-am-i-stuck-with-it.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
First things first, talk to the General Manager. But the Dealer should take it back if they don't want the bad PR. If your not happy with what the General Manager tells you ask for the Owner... If you are still not happy then you can call Chrysler's main Dealer relations line. Everything depends on your state laws. Call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles or the equivalent in your state. I hope this all turns out well for you. If needed contact the Better Business Bureau and consumer protection.

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
First things first, talk to the General Manager. But the Dealer should take it back if they don't want the bad PR. If your not happy with what the General Manager tells you ask for the Owner... If you are still not happy then you can call Chrysler's main Dealer relations line. Everything depends on your state laws. Call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles or the equivalent in your state. I hope this all turns out well for you. If needed contact the Better Business Bureau and consumer protection.
Assuming it was purchased from a Chrysler dealer.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to take it to a competent dealer either. That one doesn't sound good. They can't fix a transmission shifting issue? bull feathers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dealership IS going to fix the problem. It was a transmission output module. I still want a different van though. To start right out the gate with tranny problems is just not acceptable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The dealership IS going to fix the problem. It was a transmission output module. I still want a different van though. To start right out the gate with tranny problems is just not acceptable.
It's my opinion that you're jumping to some generalized conclusions about the van. Who's to say it won't give you many trouble free miles?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, to be honest, that's why you're supposed to test drive it and have it inspected. They may or may not have been aware of the issue, however they did CPO the vehicle. I'm curious, were there any implied warranties regarding being CPO?

Regardless, it does carry the remaining factory warranty. I know it's a bitter taste in your mouth, but give them the chance to do you right. See if they'll offer some sort of extended protection at a discount due to the related issues. That would give you some peace of mind while retaining the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts