The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Check Engine Code P0456: Tag Expires in 22 Days

5K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  Teemoo 
There's a reason "courtesy" / loaner car is given to customer by a shop / dealer, but a customer giving their car to a shop to just "drive around" simply doesn't sound right... (what incentive would the shop have to return the vehicle to owner asap?)
They want to get the monitors to run so they can make sure it’s fixed. If they let it go, not knowing it’s fixed, they risk having an unhappy customer. It’s not rocket science.

it’s also sometimes necessary with intermittent problems to try to get the problem to show up. I don’t think most techs love just going out and driving around. None that I know think it’s the best use of their time.

If an engine is continued to be operated with the engine running too rich, that catalyst gets coated with soot and can no longer operate correctly. If you put leaded gasoline into the engine, the lead very quickly coats and disables the catalyst bed.
It’s really unusual to find a cat that’s plugged up from soot or contamination. Every one I’ve seen that was plugged happened because the honeycomb broke up and chunks plugged the outlet pipe. Maybe if the engine is burning a tremendous amount of oil.

Excess fuel (worst from a misfire, not as bad from running rich) makes the cat overheat, which can melt the ceramic honeycomb, leading to the restriction I mentioned.