The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do you top off your tank and squeeze a little more in after the nozzle has shut itself off?
In newer vehicles with emissions and evap stuff to catch fumes it’s not good to overfill a gas tank. To much and too often you can gas where the fumes are supposed to go and that can cause a code.

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you top off your tank and squeeze a little more in after the nozzle has shut itself off?
In newer vehicles with emissions and evap stuff to catch fumes it’s not good to overfill a gas tank. To much and too often you can gas where the fumes are supposed to go and that can cause a code.
No, I don't do that. But I'm pretty sure I didn't turn the gas cap three times after I filled up, so that might've been it.

But I bought a new gas cap anyway, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Enargins, that is a condition code that pops up for everyone who mostly pumps gas while engine is running. I have dealt with that. Also, OR, there is a sensor in the "Evaporative Emission System" that can go bad, I've replaced that too. Toyotas have two of those sensors (at least the ones I've serviced). One connected to the Evap system near gas tank, and one in the engine compartment. Again, these were services on Other than on Mopar vehicles. Look up the schematic for your van, on the Evap sys, and see if you have just one or two, and replace. Some times the gas cap has had it and needs replacing. cheers..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Further, your van has emissions monitor readiness indicator - if you turn the key to run position and wait ~5 seconds, after bulb check, check engine light will either start to flash or will go out and stay off. Flashing means it's not ready for emissions test, off means it's ready.
Well, good news (I think). I just completed some more driving to try and get the tests ready. (98 miles since the codes were cleared.)

Been doing the test you mentioned, and the check engine light has been flashing, as you said.

However, today, for the first time, it didn't flash! It stayed solid.

Only thing is, your note said that if it's ready for testing, the check engine light will go out. It didn't go out. I waited about a minute, and it stayed on.

Note: this was while doing the above test, with the engine off. When I turn the engine on, then the check engine light does go off. So maybe that's what you meant -- that it'll go off when you start the engine, not when you're doing the test to see if it flashes.

Anyway, that's the situation: turn key without starting engine: check engine light comes on and stays on, but doesn't flash. Start engine: check engine light goes off.

So, is it ready for testing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Enargins, that is a condition code that pops up for everyone who mostly pumps gas while engine is running. I have dealt with that. Also, OR, there is a sensor in the "Evaporative Emission System" that can go bad, I've replaced that too. Toyotas have two of those sensors (at least the ones I've serviced). One connected to the Evap system near gas tank, and one in the engine compartment. Again, these were services on Other than on Mopar vehicles. Look up the schematic for your van, on the Evap sys, and see if you have just one or two, and replace. Some times the gas cap has had it and needs replacing. cheers..
Thanks! No, wasn't running the engine while pumping. And did replace the gas cap, just to be on the safe side.

As I noted in my previous message, a moment ago, the tests seem to be at a ready state (after 98 miles) and I have no check engine light! Woo! When I turn the key without starting the engine, the check engine light doesn't blink; it stays steady.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awesome, great for you. Its a rule of thumb, when a code pops up and you correct the issue, disconnecting the NEG battery post for 10 sec's, erases All codes. Under normal circumstances that not a worry. But in your case, I believe you are due with inspection, and the DMV process needs the good codes stored. So driving a good 75 to 100 miles restores the good codes. However, if the trouble has Not been remedied, the error code will pop up again. But I guess you're past that. Cheers..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Awesome, great for you. Its a rule of thumb, when a code pops up and you correct the issue, disconnecting the NEG battery post for 10 sec's, erases All codes. Under normal circumstances that not a worry. But in your case, I believe you are due with inspection, and the DMV process needs the good codes stored. So driving a good 75 to 100 miles restores the good codes. However, if the trouble has Not been remedied, the error code will pop up again. But I guess you're past that. Cheers..
Thanks!

·
fix it if you can
5,736 Posts
Well, good news (I think). I just completed some more driving to try and get the tests ready. (98 miles since the codes were cleared.)

Been doing the test you mentioned, and the check engine light has been flashing, as you said.

However, today, for the first time, it didn't flash! It stayed solid.

Only thing is, your note said that if it's ready for testing, the check engine light will go out. It didn't go out. I waited about a minute, and it stayed on.

Note: this was while doing the above test, with the engine off. When I turn the engine on, then the check engine light does go off. So maybe that's what you meant -- that it'll go off when you start the engine, not when you're doing the test to see if it flashes.

Anyway, that's the situation: turn key without starting engine: check engine light comes on and stays on, but doesn't flash. Start engine: check engine light goes off.

So, is it ready for testing?

Thanks!
Yes, solid = ready.
Take it in for inspection and get it over with.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's not Moanday but a Fryday joke gets us in the mood for a good weekend.

If you still need to put some mileage on, I could use a pepperoni and cheese pizza for diner tonight.

Ohshaddupfuzeman. Apologies for the 'humor' but by now you guys should have build up a tolerance. LoL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
CRAZY UPDATE!!!!

OK, so, as I noted, I got all the sensors to a ready state by driving 98 miles in various conditions, and had no check engine light! Happy camper!

So I drove to the place today and said I needed a state inspection. He tells me to pull into Bay 1. So I pull into Bay 1. And JUST AS A FINISH PULLING INTO BAY 1, the check engine light comes on!!

Argh!!!

So I left it with them to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
CRAZY UPDATE!!!!

OK, so, as I noted, I got all the sensors to a ready state by driving 98 miles in various conditions, and had no check engine light! Happy camper!

So I drove to the place today and said I needed a state inspection. He tells me to pull into Bay 1. So I pull into Bay 1. And JUST AS A FINISH PULLING INTO BAY 1, the check engine light comes on!!

Argh!!!

So I left it with them to diagnose the problem.
Oh, that sux... I was all ready to pop a top and celebrate...

Please let us know what they find and how they fix it. I'm not going to be able to sleep al weekend awaiting your reply.
Good luck, I know how bad it sucks to have your car on blocks. (figuratively)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
(fabricgator) that is a condition code that pops up for everyone who mostly pumps gas while engine is running. I have dealt with that.
Mopar Johnny, I regularly pump gas with engine running... What are you implying I should see?
Is it a non-money light code that I'd need to look for. Key Salsa?
tequilla!

Reactions: Mopar John

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mopar Johnny, I regularly pump gas with engine running... What are you implying I should see?
Is it a non-money light code that I'd need to look for. Key Salsa?
tequilla!
Lol, so you pump gas with engine running? You sound proud of it. Well, I am not implying anything. Facts are facts. But its a rule of thumb, a safety one rather, that folks are Not to pump gas while engine is running because a simple spark can ignite the fumes and a fire can erupt, causing injury, possibly death. And, on some vehicles, that practice causes damage to the EVAP system sensors. Stay safe Gator..

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Lol, so you pump gas with engine running? You sound proud of it. Well, I am not implying anything. Facts are facts. But its a rule of thumb, a safety one rather, that folks are Not to pump gas while engine is running because a simple spark can ignite the fumes and a fire can erupt, causing injury, possibly death. And, on some vehicles, that practice causes damage to the EVAP system sensors. Stay safe Gator..
We also shouldn't use a cell phone, smoke cigarettes, launch bottle rocket fireworks, breathe, or even pet a dog in Arizona while pumping gas.

Asides from the potential safety and (legal) concerns, what damage to the evap system?
I am curious, I'd not heard that said before...

I suppose that merely removing the gas cap while the engine is running MAY cause the same damage to the evap system sensors that you speak of.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm not going to be able to sleep al weekend awaiting your reply.
LOL Thanks for the chuckle. 😁

They said the cannister purge valve needed to be replaced, which they did. $150 for parts and labor, and $125 for the diagnostic. So, not too bad.

They also said my gas cap (which I bought after the check engine light went on "just to be on the safe side" by getting a new gas cap) was the wrong type for my flex fuel vehicle, and the gasket on my old gas cap was a little worn. So they replaced the gas cap as well.

As I needed to have the state inspection done, I asked them to do that, as well. But since they cleared the code, all the monitors needed to get back to a "ready" state.

However, they said they'd have their guy drive it around until the monitors were ready, and I thought "great!"

So it's currently still at the shop. They said it should be ready by Monday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
THE SAGA THAT JUST WON'T END!

So, after getting the monitors ready without a check engine light, and pulling into the bay to have the inspection done, the check engine light came back on just then. So I left it with the place to diagnose.

They replaced the cannister purge valve and said they'd drive it around to get the monitors ready.

Today they finally drove it around, and said it died and wouldn't start again while the guy was driving it. Ugh. Going to look at it in the morning.

12 days until my tag expires.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts