The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Pentastar 62TE
Since I don't have the means to measure transmission oil temperature, I used engine coolant temperature (71 deg C or 160 deg F, after making a 5 mile trip to a local store), assuming the transmission line goes through the coolant radiator. Transmission oil capacity is 5.5 qt. I added 5.2 qt and I am at the mark. Is this approach faulty? Thank you.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
255 Posts
How’d you determine the trans fluid temperature was 160*? Was it just a guess?

If you’re guessing, I think @Jeepman ’s ‘cold turkey’ approach is a better approach.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
Transmission cooler is not in the radiator. The fluids can be radically different in temperature.

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
Didn't know. I guess I will have to find a way to measure trans. temp. Thank you.
The "cold turkey" method is the simplest and more traditional way to measure fluid levels. My readings are mostly 95 mm although I have seen my readings at 90 mm too, at times. In any event I am determining that my transmission fluid is ample using a 5 minute technique. I'm not wondering about this and that (transmission fluid temperature versus a Chart) as part of the process, although I can go that route as well, but why bother?

Your transmission fluid will take about twice as long (on the road) to reach operating temperature as your engine coolant does. If you are looking for a 170F to 180F temperature for your transmission fluid, 5 miles isn't going to do it, 15 miles is what's been stated in previous instructions for operating temperature.
From a 2007 Owner Manual:
Hot fluid is approximately 180°F (82°C), which is the normal operating temperature after the vehicle has been driven at least 15 miles (24 km). The fluid cannot be comfortably held between the finger tips
With the extra cooling (heavy duty?) It seems 170F, maybe a tad lower, is the likely temperature your fluid will normally reach, at operating temperature. Check, using 170F on the Chart, after a 15+ mile drive.

More on the "cold turkey" method:
What is your ATF reading first thing (before starting engine)?

Ooops, just noticed that you were subscribing. :)
:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you folks for the help. Finally I got a non-contact thermometer and was able to measure the transmission oil temperature. I definitely overfilled. Draining was a pain. I will check the cold-turkey level (95 mm) for comparison.
%.
Lessons learned: 1. Youtube says 5.5 qts for oil & filter change. I added less than 5.5 but overfilled. Doing it on a hydraulic lift may not be the same as the front-wheels-on-the-ramp method I did. Less gets drained?

2. Non-contact thermometer pointed at the oil pan gives lower temperature than the thicker part the pan is bolted to (5 deg F difference). I don't now if this matters. Just sharing.

3. I have AlphaOBD. It connects to Body Control Module well but somehow doesn't connect to 62TE Transmission Module. Oh, well.

Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
With AlphaOBD, look at the Engine computer for the trans temp. For some reason an update removed the Gearbox functionality, but it's all under Engine.

5.5 quarts is a rough estimate. Mine takes a bit more than that usually. On front only jack stands you do hold a bit of extra fluid in the differential side of the trans, but not much, less than half a quart.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought my AlphaOBD or the interface hardware was faulty. Also glad to know "the front wheels on jack stands" leaves a little more oil in the system. Thank you.

By the way, a related question. Should I look for the insulation pad for 62TE? Mine doesn't have one.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I believe the pad is a sound deadener. Keeps standard users from hearing the transmission "clicking" from doing it normal things.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
That cover is pretty much useless. Unless you're in a super cold area, then it's a blanket for the valve body. :p So still pretty useless.

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
Thank you. Now I know what the pad is for.
It's for the mice to fine a warm spot and something to chew on to build a nest. Squirrels may provide competition. :)

PS: If not there, check your cabin filter.

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Connected AlphaOBD to ECM, selected THERMISTOR 62TE. I got 4.06 V. This software is not converting volt to temperature.

Has anyone successfully used a different scan software for transmission oil temperature?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Connected AlphaOBD to ECM, selected THERMISTOR 62TE. I got 4.06 V. This software is not converting volt to temperature.

Has anyone successfully used a different scan software for transmission oil temperature?
you know, maybe a chart with the different voltages indicating temperature would be a good thing to have. Anyone have one?

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
you know, maybe a chart with the different voltages indicating temperature would be a good thing to have. Anyone have one?
Interesting discussion here, and a chart for a Ford. Interesting. I guess this is the type of chart you are looking for.

Transmission fluid temperature voltage

For coolant but appears to work for transmission it the cases discussed.
Font Material property Number Pattern Screenshot

Transmission fluid temperature/thermistor
A thermistor changes it resistance based on its temperature.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yep, something like that would be great. Some of the software available doesn't cross that information over into a temp and just displays the voltage (which is not real useful without a chart of some sort).

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts

In the live data tab (last one) add the Transmission Oil Temperature C* option (very near the bottom of the looooong list). C is better than V at finding F. :p

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
I have it on auto-update.

Reactions: 97K15004WD
1 - 20 of 25 Posts