The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a clicking noise coming from behind the passenger side dashboard in my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The noise comes on virtually every time I start the car and clicks for about 15 seconds and stops. Then everything operates normally until the next time I start the car. Then the clicking resumes again. Has anyone has a problem like this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds like the Re-circ door actuator. To confirm, as soon as you start the van and the clicking starts, immediately press the re-circulation air button and if it stops then it is the re-circ door actuator.

I'm having a clicking noise coming from behind the passenger side dashboard in my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. The noise comes on virtually every time I start the car and clicks for about 15 seconds and stops. Then everything operates normally until the next time I start the car. Then the clicking resumes again. Has anyone has a problem like this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I recall properly, and depending upon your options, you will have up to four of the actuators:

- Recirculation actuator: controls recirc vs. fresh air.
- Blend door actuators: controls cool vs. warm air. You should have these on both right and left sides if you have dual-zone climate control.
- Mode door actuator: controls airflow discharge location (floor, vent, defrost, etc.).

There is a recalibration procedure you can perform, but the specifics depend on whether or not you have standard HVAC controls, dual-zone, or auto temp control. You can search this site for the how-to.

If you're hearing clicking, it's likely a plastic gear is broken inside one of the actuators and requires replacement. They are a small black plastic motor with a single plug, usually mounted with a few Torx screws. Photo attached. The best way to find the offending motor is to stick your nugget under the dash (toward the center - above the gas pedal) and locate the motors. You can just look for the wires and plug-in connectors. Then have someone turn the ignition to "ON." You'll clearly hear the clicking; touch each one to feel which one is the culprit. Don't forget to check the passenger side if you have dual-zone. Easy as pie to replace...and I think all of them are the same part number (my Charger and 2005 Caravan were all the same, anyway).

As a final note, buy Mopar replacements. They're about $35.00 on Rock Auto and can sometimes be had for less on eBay. I got two for $50.00 on eBay. Resist the Dorman branded ones. I personally don't mind a lot of Dorman products, but ended up swapping out the Dorman actuators on two vehicles for clicking noises and slow actuation. My two cents.

Tim

P.S. just re-read your post. Since you've already isolated the passenger side, it should be either the pass side blend door actuator, or, as milanz0102 pointed out, the recirc door actuator. I can't speak to the 2009 model, but on my 2005 the recirc actuator is mounted horizontally on the bottom of the blower motor enclosure - below and somewhat behind the glove box. Either of them are easy to locate and replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I recall properly, and depending upon your options, you will have up to four of the actuators:

• Recirculation actuator: controls recirc vs. fresh air.
  • Blend door actuators: controls cool vs. warm air. You should have these on both right and left sides if you have dual-zone climate control.
  • Mode door actuator: controls airflow discharge location (floor, vent, defrost, etc.).
There is a recalibration procedure you can perform, but the specifics depend on whether or not you have standard HVAC controls, dual-zone, or auto temp control. You can search this site for the how-to.

If you're hearing clicking, it's likely a plastic gear is broken inside one of the actuators and requires replacement. They are a small black plastic motor with a single plug, usually mounted with a few Torx screws. Photo attached. The best way to find the offending motor is to stick your nugget under the dash (toward the center - above the gas pedal) and locate the motors. You can just look for the wires and plug-in connectors. Then have someone turn the ignition to "ON." You'll clearly hear the clicking; touch each one to feel which one is the culprit. Don't forget to check the passenger side if you have dual-zone. Easy as pie to replace...and I think all of them are the same part number (my Charger and 2005 Caravan were all the same, anyway).

As a final note, buy Mopar replacements. They're about $35.00 on Rock Auto and can sometimes be had for less on eBay. I got two for $50.00 on eBay. Resist the Dorman branded ones. I personally don't mind a lot of Dorman products, but ended up swapping out the Dorman actuators on two vehicles for clicking noises and slow actuation. My two cents.

Tim

P.S. just re-read your post. Since you've already isolated the passenger side, it should be either the pass side blend door actuator, or, as milanz0102 pointed out, the recirc door actuator. I can't speak to the 2009 model, but on my 2005 the recirc actuator is mounted horizontally on the bottom of the blower motor enclosure - below and somewhat behind the glove box. Either of them are easy to locate and replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2008 does the same exact thing accept it will do it when the car is not running. Is it the same problem?
If it happens about 20-30 seconds after turning off the ignition it could well be the re-circ actuator. If I remember correctly, when the HVAC is left in the re-circ mode and the vehicle is turned off the HVAC module opens the re-circ door to allow fresh air so that stale and damp air does not get trapped in the vehicle and cause musty odors.It's during this opening cycle that the actuator turns the re-circ door to the end of travel but since a shaft or gear in the actuator is broken or work starts to click and skip making the noise. That's what was exactly happening on my 2010 GC SXT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts