The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tranny is probably dieing.

This issue is happening when I'm going slow on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.
Is sound like bad halfshaft - but it isn't - they are new 3 months.
I put light throtlle at 20km/h and I hear clik clik - almost like bad halfshaft, car isn't accelerate at clik time.

Also at 40km/h I have 1000RPM (not correct gear or full lock-up) and when I add slight throttle car is shaking and vibrating, no RPM change like ususal when putting pedal gas to 2000RPM, it feels like with manual transmission and at 40km/h put 5th gear and mediume throttle).

Tranny Oil is ATF+4 , Solenoid pack replaced, nothing changed.

PS
(I've got problem with this tranny from begining when I'm owner of that car, Engine cold, tranny oil cold, engine start fine, idles good, but when going into gear engine dies, I must warm up engine to put into gear, I'm driving like this for more than year, Engine and tranny no codes - checked, clutch volumes good)

Wczoraj wieczorkiem jechałem jeszcze po mieście (+33C) i przy ruszaniu nie gasł.
Dziś natomiast zimny silnik , olej w skrzyni zimny i z duszą na ramieniu dojechałem do pracy.
Olej ATF+4 jak instrukcja przykazała.

PS.
mam w zapasie konwerter z uszkodzonej skrzyni - czy warto ryzykować i wsadzić go do mojej skrzyni (nie znam powodu uszkodzenia tej innej skrzyni)?
Czy też dać ten drugi konwerter do zrobienia, i potem go założyć?
Czy też już nie warto się pakować w półśrodki i zrobić skrzynię.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Could be a failing torque converter with the symptoms you describe. Now if the clutch volumes are good, you may want to swap the converter now before the current one blows and takes out the whole trans. Or wait until it fails while saving up and then have it rebuilt.

Also see what other members have to say about it as I'm no trans expert.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday I've had checked my trans at DRBIII and everything was ok, today it's NOT :(.
I could try to replace TC to other (but I don'tknow it's condition)

When I came back from work I could drive only on L (TC isn't locking partial or so) when changing do D or 3 it's lock-up hard and shudder loud.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yeah, the clutches are failing in it. Too bad it hadn't started this before your engine swap since you had it apart already. If it is this bad already, you will probably want the whole trans gone through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew that my trans isn't good shape, but I hoped that will last longer.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Do you check your tranny fluid with the engine running and the tranny in PARK ?
Might consider changing out the solenoid pack, first. Check your connectors, too. A Squirt of WD40 into them, then re-connect securely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solenoid pack is almost new 14000km, fluid is good, ATF+4 only.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided to pull out tranny and replace Torque Converter.

No I've replaced TC to other one (not new but it's OK) and I need to put transmission in place.
With PTU (in AWD models) is rather difficult, so I decided to remove PTU from tranny and assemble it later.
I will keep you posted when I'll have some news.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts