The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3295 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see the Chitchat Thread getting a little long in the tooth with 3,509 replies and 393,135 views, getting up there with the BuzzBob Sticky: Caravan/T&C/Voyager oil filter at 955/451,344. How about a slight change?

I remember a member mentioning, way back when, that too much chitchat was happening in the regular Threads, taking away from the OP's topic. That's why the Chitchat Thread originated. It still happens, at times, and I am as guilty as anyone, so the next time you see it happening, say: "see you at the Coffee Shop". :)

May as well suggest some topics to get it going:
General Stuff: Good Morning wishes/weather in your Area/whatever. Some Members are on here quite early in the morning - the early risers.
Automotive: Shopping you might do for your vehicle today/shopping you did yesterday/changing to winter windshield antifreeze/change over to winter tires/rust hole in rear wheel well (a la Miron :))/whatever.
Cooking (Facebook style): baked a pan of cookies today, took 15 pictures to show you, sorry, would have taken more but ran out of film :)
Your Lies (not a confessional :)): had to tell a lie at the A&W today when I filled out their touch pad questionnaire of 5 or 6 questions. "Was your food hot?" I struggled and struggled and finally told a blatant lie. I said "yes". I had a very tasty, ice cold, root beer. Man, I feel good that I came out with that. Thanks. :)
Whatever you might talk about with your friends at a Coffee Shop

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Swimming Pool Salt For Other Uses

I have been using swimming pool salt for years to get rid of weeds in patio slab joints and to get rid of moss on roofs. It's pretty much the consistency of table salt and is easily spread by hand. The idea came from parking my Jeep on the lawn during the winter to wash off the salt, only to find the grass in that area dead in the Spring. With time the grass would come back, but slowly.

I put some swimming salt on a shed roof recently. The green moss turned brown very quickly. Heavy rain or snow will complete the work.

I put some swimming pool salt on two foot square concrete patio blocks this week, in the joints where weeds were growing up. Condensation in the evening is finishing the job and the salt is migrating across the slabs about 6" a night. Weeds will be brown in a day or so. Imagine salt migrating on your vehicle. Get that Fluid Film out asap. It migrates too.

I have told many people about this and now find it online, some mixing the salt with water and applying it as a solution. Once the salt is applied by hand, I sometimes spray it with a water hose to moisten it up (energize it). Put your Round-Up away and go for the salt.

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Microwave Corn on the Cob

I mention microwaving corn on the cob to people sometimes, including those in lineups at the grocery store. They look at me as if I had two heads. It seems not many know about this quick way to have an ear of corn.

It can be bare or have some husk left. Wrap an ear in a paper towel and microwave on high for two minutes. Let it cool a bit, add butter and enjoy.

I have some corn in the fridge. Gotta go.

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LEVY, that definitely is no pan of cookies. You are trying to take the prize. Make sure you take some pictures at the event to show us. Hope you didn't forget to send out the invitations to all your good friends on the Forum. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in the heat of the arizona summer I dont usually drink coffee....but the lie at A&W sounds good....
Had an Oreo milkshake at Burger King to top it off. How does that sound on a hot day? :)

A heat warning here today. Gotta go out and finish mowing the lawn for a bit to finish up from yesterday and last week. Here's the brute of a machine I'm using: :)
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4471784580341142527?lsf=seller:6472097,store:3151232481254766630&prds=oid:16082783534944592297&q=power+smart+lawn+mower&hl=en&ei=veGGW62nE4Gvgge3nLSgBw&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a7BPEcTecBETaf8Vrf-MySJkc0Lf5CmJDL4knT9azcC6G15Xx1pwN0aAtj3EALw_wcB

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6:30 is the best time of day, hands down.

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Had an Oreo milkshake at Burger King to top it off. How does that sound on a hot day? :)

A heat warning here today. Gotta go out and finish mowing the lawn for a bit to finish up from yesterday and last week. Here's the brute of a machine I'm using: :)
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4471784580341142527?lsf=seller:6472097,store:3151232481254766630&prds=oid:16082783534944592297&q=power+smart+lawn+mower&hl=en&ei=veGGW62nE4Gvgge3nLSgBw&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a7BPEcTecBETaf8Vrf-MySJkc0Lf5CmJDL4knT9azcC6G15Xx1pwN0aAtj3EALw_wcB
Not sure where your link was meant to go. But I had to mow my lawn the other day, this is my machine, deck is an 80s Snapper (I want to say 1986 was my parents old mower), with a harbor freight engine dropped in it, running a craftsman blade. Originally it had a 3.5hp B&S, so the harbor freight's 5hp is a bit of a change. Funny thing is the picture was taken after it actually destroyed the original B&S blade adapter, which is why I now run a craftsman blade and adapter.

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Powersmart 21-inch 161cc Gas 2-in-1 Push Lawn Mower is the same color but looks more modern than yours Benny. Yours belongs in a museum. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good Morning Coffee Shoppers. Raisin bran, maple syrup and milk to start the day, plus coffee of course. That's breakfast #1. :)
Enjoy your day. :thumb:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure where your link was meant to go. But I had to mow my lawn the other day, this is my machine, deck is an 80s Snapper (I want to say 1986 was my parents old mower), with a harbor freight engine dropped in it, running a craftsman blade. Originally it had a 3.5hp B&S, so the harbor freight's 5hp is a bit of a change. Funny thing is the picture was taken after it actually destroyed the original B&S blade adapter, which is why I now run a craftsman blade and adapter.
I had one of those mowers in the 80s when I was a teenager mowing several yards for neighbors. :) I swapped engines on it twice since I used the mower so much, going from 4 hp to 5 hp to (I think) 6.5 hp. Replaced the self-propelled drivetrain parts a couple times due to wear-n-tear. Finally replaced it with a Craftsman mower my wife bought me for Father's Day several years ago, much lighter mower that hasn't had any trouble with our 1/2 acre lot that takes about an hour to mow (some of the lot is still forest).

·
Registered
409 Posts
I mention microwaving corn on the cob to people sometimes, including those in lineups at the grocery store. They look at me as if I had two heads. It seems not many know about this quick way to have an ear of corn.

It can be bare or have some husk left. Wrap an ear in a paper towel and microwave on high for two minutes. Let it cool a bit, add butter and enjoy.

I have some corn in the fridge. Gotta go.
Great idea! For parties, we put a bunch of hot water in a cooler and fill it with corn on the cob. Give it 2-3 hours and it's ready to eat. The cooler keeps it hot for hours, even into the next morning.

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great idea! For parties, we put a bunch of hot water in a cooler and fill it with corn on the cob. Give it 2-3 hours and it's ready to eat. The cooler keeps it hot for hours, even into the next morning.
That's new to me. Would help with party planning, one less boiling pot to watch at the same time. Will that work for lobsters? Don't need to answer that. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Snapper lawnmower (Benny and Westphal) must have had a very durable base. I had welded my last lawnmower, an MTD, so many times over the years. I used it a couple of times this year and the blade started making contact with the base. The motor was adrift on the base (worn holes), so end of story for that lawnmower. It was actually a combo of three lawnmowers, using parts from an old Sears mower and another MTD mower. Couldn't kill that Tecumseh engine though.

I can't blame the corrosion on road salt, more likely the lack of cleaning out the wet grass on my part. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
...I can't blame the corrosion on road salt, more likely the lack of cleaning out the wet grass on my part. :)
Whaaaaat, no Fluid Film????????????????????????????

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whaaaaat, no Fluid Film????????????????????????????
I did, I did, yes, I did. I gave it a spray of Fluid Film at times, after I did my welding. Sorta like closing the gate after the horse is out?

I sprayed the new one with Fluid Film but see there is some grass sticking to the base now, near the center. I gotta clean it up and give it another spray.

My lawnmowers are "all weather" machines, have used them in the snow, in the dark, and very often when it rains. Cool rain sure beats hot sweat. My neighbors shake their heads, no spirit of adventure. :) My lawn takes about 2.5 hours to mow quickly. I try to split that up over 3 days as part of my non-existent exercise program.

A response like that from you, LEVY or Miron doesn't surprise me. Ha,ha.

·
Super Moderator
22,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
After 20 yrs., mystery of lost diamonds from Swissair Flight 111 remains unsolved

Any conspiracy theories to discuss over a cup of coffee?
https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018/08/30/after-20-years-the-mystery-of-the-lost-diamonds-from-swissair-flight-111-remains-unsolved.html
The fate of many millions of dollars of valuables said to be carried aboard Swissair Flight 111 when it went down off Nova Scotia 20 years ago this Sunday remains unknown.
This was a tragedy that I heard about on the way to work the day it happened. Couldn't believe it happened. A lot of discussion has been generated about the investigation.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/books/1463929-book-review-swissair-crash-investigator-believes-there-was-a-cover-up
As a result, the ongoing profiling of passengers and airline employees was abandoned even though disturbing leads were developing. Juby reports, “Of the employees who serviced the aircraft just prior to its last departure, one was never found again. He worked the one shift to service this aircraft and left. He had provided fake identification to his employer when hired.”

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Snapper lawnmower (Benny and Westphal) must have had a very durable base. I had welded my last lawnmower, an MTD, so many times over the years. I used it a couple of times this year and the blade started making contact with the base.
Yep, sure did, very heavy mower. The base on ours was in great shape after nearly 30 years of service, but my wife thought I "deserved" a new mower. I think I had a spat of recent repairs on it, so maybe she felt sorry for me, but I'd rather repair something if it's still functional that buy something new. Probably sounds like a lot of guys on here. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
1 - 20 of 3295 Posts