The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2848 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, it's hard to throw the old stuff away, keep it working, it's a challenge. Getting rid of three mowers, during one month this year, sure got rid of a bunch of old junk though. One of the "parts" mowers had a lot of duct tape on it, put there by my son. Must be in the genes. It was in extremely bad shape when he stopped using it.

I still have two mowers in spite of that. Both newish, one is at a Friend's place. She has an electric mower, but my Craftsman 21" mower is easier to use when I mow her lawn, which has to be done today or tomorrow.

Anybody remember "Have gun - will travel"? When you have a mower, you gotta mow. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You guys up north, I'll assume you'll like maple syrup, now I know where it comes from:

Why don't you tap a maple tree down there in Texas, boil the sap down by 40 times, and serve it with the road kill you are going to barbecue. Ha, ha.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,264 Posts
Why don't you tap a maple tree down there in Texas, boil the sap down by 40 times, and serve it with the road kill you are going to barbecue. Ha, ha.
From that pucture, it doesn't looks like a maple tree, it looks more like a fat guy.

I'm now thinking, maple tree milking is just a myth

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Went over to McDonald's for a bit using the Jeep. My arm is sore from all the Jeep waves I had to do. Sure are lots of ladies driving Jeep Wranglers these days. :)

Ha, ha. Leave it to LEVY. What do you mean by "looks more like a fat guy" LEVY. Looks like a green tree to me. Maybe they tapped a spruce tree by mistake. :) I guess that's the official logo though, thought maybe you doctored it.
http://mtltimes.ca/Montreal/social-life/food/better-quebec-vermont-maple-syrup/
You might want to try the maple syrup from Quebec, less bland. :) I have made maple syrup from the birch trees on my property.

Corn syrup, oh my. Do you walk all over the corn, like they do for grapes, to get the syrup out of it. Something cornry about Texans. :) Maybe not Texans but people from Kansas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9z0DaA61WY

There's no comparison between corn syrup, pancake syrup and maple syrup. Can't imagine basting a planked salmon with corn syrup.

Did I say "birch"?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,264 Posts
Went over to McDonald's for a bit using the Jeep. My arm is sore from all the Jeep waves I had to do. Sure are lots of ladies driving Jeep Wranglers these days. :)

Ha, ha. Leave it to LEVY. What do you mean by "looks more like a fat guy" LEVY. Looks like a green tree to me. Maybe they tapped a spruce tree by mistake. :) I guess that's the official logo though, thought maybe you doctored it.
http://mtltimes.ca/Montreal/social-life/food/better-quebec-vermont-maple-syrup/
You might want to try the maple syrup from Quebec, less bland. :) I have made maple syrup from the birch trees on my property.

Corn syrup, oh my. Do you walk all over the corn, like they do for grapes, to get the syrup out of it. Something cornry about Texans. :) Maybe not Texans but people from Kansas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9z0DaA61WY

There's no comparison between corn syrup, pancake syrup and maple syrup. Can't imagine basting a planked salmon with corn syrup.

Did I say "birch"?
Yeah, looks like the lower part of a fat guy, and something dripping out of his..... well, it is the original logo, no Photoshop.

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I knew what you were talking about. That's why I looked up the white jugs. :) Whoever did that design was probably laughing to themself. Pretty funny.

The grandkids loved tapping the maple trees on my property and watching the sap flow, sometimes quite fast. Got to be a competition.

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Coca Cola buys Starucks

What are we coffee lovers going to do? They bought Costa too. Will coffee shops become Coke Shops? :)

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
From that pucture, it doesn't looks like a maple tree, it looks more like a fat guy.

I'm now thinking, maple tree milking is just a myth
Not a maple tree.
Not a fat man.
It's the State of Vermont.

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tropical Storm Florence

Tropical Storm Florence is making its way across the Atlantic from the African side. Should be about half way across by Friday and headed toward Bermuda.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Happy Day

Happy Day to those in labor and also to those in labour. Have a good one. :build:

Pullman Strike of 1894 saw lives lost but forced US to re-evaluate its relationship with workers: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/labor-day-2018-pullman-strike-google-doodle-workers-rights-unions-national-holiday-a8520296.html
The first Labor Day was duly held on 5 September 1882 in New York City at the instigation of the CLU, with a street parade held in Union Square.
Other cities followed suit and Oregon became the first state to make it an official holiday in 1887. By 1894, 34 states observed the date, prompting the president, Grover Cleveland, to sign a bill into law that June making it an official national holiday.
President Cleveland’s bill coincided with one of the darkest episodes in the history of American industrial relations: the Pullman Strike.
The result of unrest born of poor working conditions and wages, the dispute saw 4,000 American Railway Union (ARU) workers employed at the Pullman Company plant on Chicago’s South Side engage in a series of wildcat strikes between 11 May and 20 July 1894.
Pullman, a manufacturer of railroad cars, ran the local community as a company town, refusing to let its employees own their own homes. When it sacked operatives and slashed wages without lowering rents and utility bills, its staff downed tools in protest.
The origins of Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to December 1872 when a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Day
Labour Day (French: Fête du Travail) has been celebrated in Canada on the first Monday in September since the 1880s. The origins of Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to December 1872 when a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week,[7] almost a full decade before a similar event in New York City by the American Knights of Labor, a late 19th-century U.S. labor federation, launched the movement towards the American Labor Day holiday.[8] The Toronto Trades Assembly (TTA) called its 27 unions to demonstrate in support of the Typographical Union who had been on strike since 25 March.[7] George Brown, Canadian politician and editor of the Toronto Globe hit back at his striking employees, pressing police to charge the Typographical Union with "conspiracy."[7] Although the laws criminalising union activity were outdated and had already been abolished in Great Britain, they were still on the books in Canada and police arrested 24 leaders of the Typographical Union. Labour leaders decided to call another similar demonstration on 3 September to protest the arrests. Seven unions marched in Ottawa, prompting a promise by Canadian Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald to repeal the "barbarous" anti-union laws.[7] Parliament passed the Trade Union Act on 14 June the following year, and soon all unions were seeking a 54-hour work-week.

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Coffee and Red Island potato bread toast. Living the dream, life doesn't get any better than that. :biggrin:

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Yep, sure did, very heavy mower. The base on ours was in great shape after nearly 30 years of service, but my wife thought I "deserved" a new mower. I think I had a spat of recent repairs on it, so maybe she felt sorry for me, but I'd rather repair something if it's still functional that buy something new. Probably sounds like a lot of guys on here. :)
That really was the thought with the mower,the original B&S 3.5hp engine, was tired after probably 20 years of mowing a double lot. When i pulled it out earlier this year, it started right up, but it was lacking any grunt, the throttle handle was more or less a suggestion with it, plus it was blowing smoke, found it even smoking out the dipstick tube. So thats why I just got it a harbor freight engine. And it sounds like yours was nicer than mine, it's not self-propelled, and my yard right now is not smooth so I'm building up muscle with it. :lol: I had to add in the deadman handle, since this thing was old enough, it didn't have that. I'd almost say it now works better than my parents Toro mower.

Now i kinda wonder if I could engine swap the little snowblower I got at a garage sale :lol: Pretty sure the snowblower just needs a new hose for the primer though.

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That really was the thought with the mower,the original B&S 3.5hp engine, was tired after probably 20 years of mowing a double lot. When i pulled it out earlier this year, it started right up, but it was lacking any grunt, the throttle handle was more or less a suggestion with it, plus it was blowing smoke, found it even smoking out the dipstick tube. So thats why I just got it a harbor freight engine. And it sounds like yours was nicer than mine, it's not self-propelled, and my yard right now is not smooth so I'm building up muscle with it. :lol: I had to add in the deadman handle, since this thing was old enough, it didn't have that. I'd almost say it now works better than my parents Toro mower.

Now i kinda wonder if I could engine swap the little snowblower I got at a garage sale :lol: Pretty sure the snowblower just needs a new hose for the primer though.
Mowing the lawn with a snowblower sounds a little innovative Benny. Maybe you can make some windrows like they do when making hay. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Went to an antique auto show today. It was a beautiful day to do so. Very enjoyable.
I was looking for a 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 two door hardtop with 289 ci. V8, but didn't see any. The closest was a 1965 with a 289 ci V8.
Saw a 1955 Chrysler Imperial with the shift handle in the dash. Nothing new there.
Saw a 1956 Chrysler Windsor with the push button transmission. That also had the record player in it.
Saw a 1970 vehicle with the dimmer switch button on the floor. I don't recall what year the location was changed to the steering column.
I sat in a Ford Focus, all electric vehicle, and started up the engine and revved it up. Couldn't hear it.
Saw a Tesla, which was impressive, with its gull wing doors. It looked expensive.
Saw a 1950s Austin A40 with the flip out signal lights. Drove one of those once. Did that thing ever vibrate at 80 mph. Pieces of inner tube were wrapped around the tie rod ends so they wouldn't fall apart.
Those Chryslers I mentioned above, had the big block V8 engines. Hugeeee.
Oh yes, saw a Fargo truck too.

21 - 40 of 2848 Posts
About this Discussion
2.8K Replies
29 Participants
Jeepman
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing