The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2898 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Flat Tires - To Plug or Not to Plug?

Flat Tires - To Plug or Not to Plug? http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/flat_tires_-_to_plug_or_not_to_plug
LEVY says:
People should understand, plugs are a very handy temporary solution, tire must be properly repaired.
Well, maybe LEVY has a point, the repair has to be sealed to be considered done. More important is that the lug nuts are properly tightened afterward which is about say 50% of the time. So, the tire is taken off to do a proper repair and the lug nuts end up loose. Which is worse? :biggrin: All for the sake of argument now. :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Flat Tires - To Plug or Not to Plug? http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/flat_tires_-_to_plug_or_not_to_plug
LEVY says:

Well, maybe LEVY has a point, the repair has to be sealed to be considered done. More important is that the lug nuts are properly tightened afterward which is about say 50% of the time. So, the tire is taken off to do a proper repair and the lug nuts end up loose. Which is worse? :biggrin: All for the sake of argument now. :)
I say Plug only for temporary fix. You also need to dismount the tire to see if there's any internal damage. Eg. driving too long without enough air.

I sometimes question Goss' Garage, he had a youtube video recommending that we flush our transmissions with chemicals...

Lug nuts not properly tightened, an issue yes, but not if you go home to check and retorque yourself. Easy fix

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I say Plug only for temporary fix. You also need to dismount the tire to see if there's any internal damage. Eg. driving too long without enough air.

I sometimes question Goss' Garage, he had a youtube video recommending that we flush our transmissions with chemicals...

Lug nuts not properly tightened, an issue yes, but not if you go home to check and retorque yourself. Easy fix
Checking is a science as well. :) Some think that checking at 100 ft. lb. means everything is okay. It's not if one or two (or more) are at 120 and no star pattern has been used. I usually loosen all nuts a bit and then torque to specs. Over the top?

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Mowing the lawn with a snowblower sounds a little innovative Benny. Maybe you can make some windrows like they do when making hay. :)
Get the 22hp engine from Harbor Freight and I'll be flinging it on to Ford property :lol: (I live near Ford Motor Company)

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Get the 22hp engine from Harbor Freight and I'll be flinging it on to Ford property :lol: (I live near Ford Motor Company)
Not very neighborly Benny. :)

I was in a Ford all electric focus yesterday. I started it up, revved it up, but couldn't hear the engine. Must have bad hearing. :) With one of those vehicles one could sneak up on any javelinas in the back yard and then have a barbecue. They say you can cook it rare(ish) :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Checking is a science as well. :) Some think that checking at 100 ft. lb. means everything is okay. It's not if one or two (or more) are at 120 and no star pattern has been used. I usually loosen all nuts a bit and then torque to specs. Over the top?
Not over the top...I do the same. Checking at 100 ft lb just tells you at least 100 ft lb was applied. I should also mention I saw a torque stick on their impact. Clearly it wasn't a 100 ft lb torque stick.

When they fixed my flat tire, I needed to add a pipe to the tire iron to loosen my lugs and re-torque.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not over the top...I do the same. Checking at 100 ft lb just tells you at least 100 ft lb was applied. I should also mention I saw a torque stick on their impact. Clearly it wasn't a 100 ft lb torque stick.

When they fixed my flat tire, I needed to add a pipe to the tire iron to loosen my lugs and re-torque.
WOW! Normally their torque sticks under tighten by about 20 ft.lb. based on my experience. Torque sticks aren't a good thing anyway as they lose any accuracy they may have, over time.

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Not very neighborly Benny. :)

I was in a Ford all electric focus yesterday. I started it up, revved it up, but couldn't hear the engine. Must have bad hearing. :) With one of those vehicles one could sneak up on any javelinas in the back yard and then have a barbecue. They say you can cook it rare(ish) :)
I've driven those quite a bit, you're supposed to put it in gear and drive of course you won't hear anything (though maybe you should get your hearing checked). I always enjoyed romping on those things, plenty of grunt getting to about 50mph, after that acceleration slows down a bit. Everyone I knew that drove those for the first time were expecting shopping carts, and they walked away surprised. I always compared its performance from a dead stop to somewhere between a standard 2.0l Focus and a Focus ST.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I've driven those quite a bit, you're supposed to put it in gear and drive of course you won't hear anything (though maybe you should get your hearing checked). I always enjoyed romping on those things, plenty of grunt getting to about 50mph, after that acceleration slows down a bit. Everyone I knew that drove those for the first time were expecting shopping carts, and they walked away surprised. I always compared its performance from a dead stop to somewhere between a standard 2.0l Focus and a Focus ST.
Interesting, my only experience with electric vehicles is riding the electric buses in Halifax before they converted to diesel many decades ago. They had overhead wires. Also have used an electric golf cart a few times. Great for the summer. What about the winter (heater, heated seats, steering wheel, mirrors, rear window)?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been getting caught up on the last 3 pages. I was born on Labour Day, the hospital bill for my parents was $64. in 1948. This year I am 2 days ahead, Sept 5 and made 70, woo hoo.
I have some 80 year old clear pine 8 feet long by a full 2 X12 that I have been hoarding for many years. Some I have used for toys for kids and grand-kids. So today in 32 degree (C) weather I cut up the rest (SIGH) to make a giant Jenga set for the family. I took the official size from Wikipedia and multiplied by 3 which almost fit the wood size I have. I ran everything through my thickness planer so the dimensions are within .002 inches for thickness and width. Now I have to round the corners and cut to length and finish. The finished size of the stack will be about 8 1/2 inches square by about 30 inches high. Santa will leave it under our Christmas tree for the family.
Living here for 40 years it's amazing what collects.

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Interesting, my only experience with electric vehicles is riding the electric buses in Halifax before they converted to diesel many decades ago. They had overhead wires. Also have used an electric golf cart a few times. Great for the summer. What about the winter (heater, heated seats, steering wheel, mirrors, rear window)?
In the winter the range will be greatly reduced (somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 the normal range) at least the Focus electric comes with heated seats, a heater that will warm up faster on a cold day than a ICE car, and a rear window defroster (front as well, though uses the hvac air).

Of course the drop in range will vary between manufacturer, and what I said it drops is only an approximation from my own experience.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Have fun with making the Jenga, Robin, 32C heat doesn't sound like fun though unless you have a breeze. What finish will you use?
Happy Belated Birthday!
Yes, things collect over the years, but when you throw them out, that's when you need them. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I will be using a wipe on oil finish and a coat of wax, it has to be something that won't chip. At least the grandchildren will have a neat set of stacking blocks. There was no breeze but when I got too hot I took a drive in my battery golf cart. I don't play golf but I use it for transportation in our rural neighborhood and around my property. The police wave when they pass and only once years ago did I get stopped but that was at 3 am. It was 2 young cops and I told them I was so glad to see them because I left the 19th hole and couldn't find the parking lot! We chatted for a while and everything was good, I think they were bored.
This house is getting to be a lot of work and I know we will be selling it in a few years so my daughter is coming over on weekends and helping reduce 40 years of living. "If you move are you going to take this" holding up something, no, then Goodwill. I gave my son my 5 inch Celestron telescope because he is always borrowing it, less I have to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just keep all your junk and let somebody else worry about it. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Happy Grandparents Day. Enjoy a coffee with your Grandkids. :coffeecup

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Grandparents_Day
National Grandparents Day is a secular holiday celebrated in the United States of America since 1978 and officially recognized in a number of countries on various days of the year, either as one holiday or sometimes as a separate Grandmothers' Day and Grandfathers' Day (for the first time Grandma's Day was celebrated in Poland in 1965,[1]see below for dates by country). One celebrates both paternal and maternal grandparents.
National Grandparents' Day began in Canada in 1995 but was discontinued in 2014.
What's up with THAT, eh?

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Guess it got a little colder here last night than I expected, woke up to a cold house, thank goodness for hot coffee. I had some Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla today.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Guess it got a little colder here last night than I expected, woke up to a cold house, thank goodness for hot coffee. I had some Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla today.
Sounds delicious. :thumb: Cold here too last night, 7C outside.

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Sounds delicious. :thumb: Cold here too last night, 7C outside.
Yeah a bit warmer than that here, it was around 59F (15C), but inside my house it was 69F (20.5C) at least so said my thermostat, felt colder than that to me though. But I'm still recovering from a cold I've had just about all last week.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
41 - 60 of 2898 Posts
About this Discussion
2.9K Replies
29 Participants
Jeepman
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing