The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys & gals using as anti-freeze ?
I called our local dealer today re MS 90032 coolant and they only sell 4L containers of concentrate for $61.00 ??!!
That's obscene - I just need a quart to top up the reservoir after 4 yrs in service.

What are you using as a reasonably priced alternative to the Mopar MS 90032/Ms 12106/9.555 23 ?

I see the Prestone Dex Cool is MS 12106 compatible

·
Super Moderator
24,755 Posts
Prestone seems to be a shorter life.
Protects vital engine parts for up to 5 years/150,000 miles with Extended Life Formula.
Valvoline has a couple:
VALVOLINE™ ZEREX™ HD NITRITE FREE EXTENDED LIFE ANTIFREEZE / COOLANT
6 years / 600,000 miles /12000 hours
ZEREX G30:
5 years or 100.000 miles
MOPAR
10 years / 150,000 miles

·
Registered
65 Posts
Valvoline Zerex G-05. Meets the HOAT requirement specified in the owner’s manual. Sorry, didn’t realize I was posting on the 5th gen board. Mine’s an ‘05.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2016 requires MS 90032 OAT, not HOAT.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,047 Posts
What are you guys & gals using as anti-freeze ?
I called our local dealer today re MS 90032 coolant and they only sell 4L containers of concentrate for $61.00 ??!!
That's obscene - I just need a quart to top up the reservoir after 4 yrs in service.

What are you using as a reasonably priced alternative to the Mopar MS 90032/Ms 12106/9.555 23 ?

I see the Prestone Dex Cool is MS 12106 compatible

View attachment 59394
I'm leery of the wording on the Prestone Dex Cool container: "meets...property and performance specification requirements for FCA (Fiat/Chrysler) MS12106...", thats not the same as "meets MS12106".

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,435 Posts
This is what I use on all my vehicles, farm equipment, generators, welders etc.

One size fits all!

Optimized formula for All Vehicles; makes, models, years & fluid colors. Our patented technology provides instant protection to all engines, new and old. Optimizes engine temp, prevents freezing, PLUS protects parts from buildup & corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Prestone seems to be a shorter life.
For whatever reason, GM Dexcool factory fill is good for 10 years, but GM says to change it every 5 years thereafter even though the stuff is the same. That's likely why Prestone says 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
24,755 Posts
Then there's PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME

Specifications:
RECOMMENDED FOR ALL AUTOMOBILES AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS WITH THE FOLLOWING ANTIFREEZE SPECIFICATIONS: • Chrysler MS7170 • Chrysler MS9769 • Chrysler MS12106 • Ford ESE M97B44-A • Ford WSS-M97B44-D • Ford WSS-M97B51-A1 • GM 1825M • GMW3420 • Mercedes Benz DBL 7700 • ASTM D3306 • ASTM D4985

·
3rd gen > all others
2,890 Posts
I'd stay far away from anything that says dex-cool. That crap gums up your cooling system and block, and there's no way to clean it out short of disassembling/hot-tanking your engine block. It almost ruined the engine in our 2001 Grand Prix, and my sister just had an overheat/breakdown with her Rendezvous caused by dexcool gumming up her cooling system. For both, the fix is thoroughly flushing out the cooling system and installing a new thermostat, and filling with different coolant (used the yellow Prestone all makes kind in the Grand Prix).

Whatever Toyota uses for it's red fluid must work, because people have said their engines still look like new when they open them up. Toyota has some all-aluminum engines and I think the Pentastar is too? That would probably be why Chrysler uses dexcool, to protect the aluminum parts. Toyota coolant would work better. Probably more expensive, but better.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
955 Posts
I use bulk yellow coolant. Don't know the brand off the top of my head, but I doubt you could get it in small quantities either, since it comes in a 40 gallon drum. It's a HOAT coolant that can be mixed with conventional or (H)OAT coolants without gumming up, similar to the Prestone universal yellow. I used it as a top off when my coolant Y popped and years later replaced the OEM coolant that was left entirely with it.

FYI, Dexcool is not the same as Chrysler OEM coolant. They are similar in color only. Mix them together and you will get a gel.
I don't get why anyone would want to pour that mud water in their car anyway. If not changed every 3-5 years Dexcool will turn to a sticky brown mud that clogs everything; others will lose effectiveness in the same time, but not clog up the system.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd stay far away from anything that says dex-cool. That crap gums up your cooling system and block, and there's no way to clean it out short of disassembling/hot-tanking your engine block. It almost ruined the engine in our 2001 Grand Prix, and my sister just had an overheat/breakdown with her Rendezvous caused by dexcool gumming up her cooling system. For both, the fix is thoroughly flushing out the cooling system and installing a new thermostat, and filling with different coolant (used the yellow Prestone all makes kind in the Grand Prix).

Whatever Toyota uses for it's red fluid must work, because people have said their engines still look like new when they open them up. Toyota has some all-aluminum engines and I think the Pentastar is too? That would probably be why Chrysler uses dexcool, to protect the aluminum parts. Toyota coolant would work better. Probably more expensive, but better.
The only time there is a problem with Dex Cool is if you don't change it when GM specifies (10 years for the factory fill, 5 years thereafter). If you leave it in too long it turns to gel.

DO NOT use Toyota coolant because it works well in Toyotas. Manufacturers use different aluminum alloys and each manufacturer specifies a coolant that is appropriate for the alloys in their engine. For example, Ford uses 4 different coolant types in its engines.

·
Super Moderator
2,047 Posts
FYI, Dexcool is not the same as Chrysler OEM coolant. They are similar in color only. Mix them together and you will get a gel.
If you mix Dex-Cool with the pre 2013 Chrysler HOAT coolant you will get a gel, the new FCA OAT coolant (MS-90032/MS-12106) is very similar to Dex-Cool and will not gel.

FCA switched from HOAT to OAT coolant in 2013, the two following images are from this Chrysler newsletter: http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsletters/newsletter_Oct_2012.pdf

There are those who claim that MS-12106 is identical to DEX-Cool, but I haven't found conclusive proof of that. The only evidence I have found is that ZEREX DEX-Cool "meets or exceeds" MS-12106, keep in mind the ZEREX formula might not be identical to other brands of DEX-Cool coolants so other brands may not meet the MS-12106 specification.

Also of note, Valvoline recently changed the name of their Dex-Cool coolant from "ZEREX DEX-Cool" to "ZEREX American Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant", likely due to to the bad reputation Dex-Cool has.

·
Super Moderator
24,755 Posts
This coolant stuff is like a maze, you don't know what to believe. Valvoline says its ZEREX G-05 HOAT is compatible with many brands of coolant commonly available. HOAT doesn't seem commonly available. IAT and OAT are commonly available. I don't know that Prestone makes a HOAT.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Also of note, Valvoline recently changed the name of their Dex-Cool coolant from "ZEREX DEX-Cool" to "ZEREX American Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant", likely due to to the bad reputation Dex-Cool has.
The only reason for not calling it Dex-Cool is GM has a trademark on the Dex-Cool name.

·
Super Moderator
2,047 Posts
The only reason for not calling it Dex-Cool is GM has a trademark on the Dex-Cool name.
Until very recently it was labeled as DEX-COOL:

But now it is labeled "AMERICAN VEHICLE":

·
Super Moderator
24,755 Posts
Dex-Cool is just another OAT coolant. The problems with it were gasket and engine specific. A ton of Dex-Cool (it has been updated like everything else) is still being used, and will continue to be used.

Since both Ford and Chrysler have basically dropped the HOAT for OAT, which is good for simplification of product, American Vehicle seems very appropriate for marketing purposes. Getting rid of the Dex-Cool name, and the negativity associated with it in the process, is a plus.

"European Vehicle" coolant name has been used for some time.

Reactions: georgef

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called the valvoline tech line and asked about coolant for my 2016 GC. They asured me that Zerex Dex Cool is their product for 2013 and newer Chrysler/Dodge vehicles.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
24,755 Posts
Yes, I've heard that from others. Thanks for the confirmation.
Some on here will rejoice about using Dex-cool, hey Road Ripper. :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,435 Posts
Yes, I've heard that from others. Thanks for the confirmation.
Some on here will rejoice about using Dex-cool, hey Road Ripper. :)
If Valvoline doesn't make Dex-Cool anymore, that means any Valvoline Dex-Cool you find on the shelf is not fresh.

If different manufacturers make one product that can be used or mixed with any coolant on the market, why don't use it? I think is safer than using the wrong one!

When using an “All Makes All Models” coolant, you want to make sure the product is compatible with all known antifreeze formulas. Often times when different antifreeze/coolants are mixed in the vehicle cooling system their formulas can react poorly with each other, failing to protect the system from harmful rust and corrosion. Valvoline Multi-Vehicle utilizes a proprietary compatibility aid called Alugard Plus that helps these different antifreeze formulas work together, providing maximum protection for your cooling system.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts