The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 T&C 3.3L has a problem with the condenser cooling fan. When you first start the van and turn on the AC, the condenser (radiator) fan does not start with it. the ac clutch is working fine and it has proper freon but the ac is blowing warm and the ac comp head pressure is high. if I wait for the engine to reach operating temp both cooling fans come on fine and the ac cools ok. the engine is not having cooling issues and the temp gauge is running normal. it just seems to be the fan and ac not talking to each other.

is it possible for the cooling relay (located on the cross member behind the bumper) to be half broken? the part that tells the fan to come on when the ac is on?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thank you to "AMD RULES" for a previous post showing a picture with the location on the cooling fan (solid state) relay. (fig.22) by the way how can I find more pictures like this?

I have replaced the relay (dealership item cost 72.00) and will let you know if it is the fix for my AC comp / Condenser fan cycling issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it did not work. neither of the cooling fans under the hood come on when you turn the AC on. I tested the operation on our 97 T&C 3.8L and one of the fans come on under a minute of turning the AC on.

Does anyone have ideas before I visit the dealer? thanks

·
5000 Club
5,753 Posts
Unfortunately, you have an oddity on your hands. Generally, when a relay fails the fans either don't come on at all or stay on all the time. Plus the usual fail mode is the fans won't come on when the engine temp rises. My guess is a bad A/C pressure switch, corroded/loose connection, or the PCM is failing. The A/C pressure switch tells the PCM to turn on the fans as the pressure hits around 240-250 psi. I've got little practical experience with A/C systems except for a couple compressor changes and servicing. This is all just what I've read.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as mentioned before the (solid state) relay behind the bumper was changed for new and it did not change anything. I have removed and cleaned the ac pressure transducer and no change. It might be bad but I have not found any specs on how to test it (ie: voltage, jumper or ohms). the dealer wants 100 bucks for a new one. does anyone have ideas on how to test or jumper the transducer?

as for the pcm going bad. should I see other engine malfunctions or something? everything seems good to me on the van. no codes or check engine lights. is it possible for the ac / fan control to be the only broken area of the pcm?

During all of my work I have noticed that the cooling fans only come on after engine temp has risen and they seem to only run at one speed. I have not seen or heard them increase, no matter how long the van idles or what setting I have the ac on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, as mentioned before the (solid state) relay behind the bumper was changed for new and it did not change anything. I have removed and cleaned the ac pressure transducer and no change. It might be bad but I have not found any specs on how to test it (ie: voltage, jumper or ohms). the dealer wants 100 bucks for a new one. does anyone have ideas on how to test or jumper the transducer?

as for the pcm going bad. should I see other engine malfunctions or something? everything seems good to me on the van. no codes or check engine lights. is it possible for the ac / fan control to be the only broken area of the pcm?

During all of my work I have noticed that the cooling fans only come on after engine temp has risen and they seem to only run at one speed. I have not seen or heard them increase, no matter how long the van idles or what setting I have the ac on.
Hi there was this problem solved? I have the exact same issue. Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts